PDA

View Full Version : KQo - Did I Play This Correctly?

666shooter
07-28-2005, 04:41 PM
This is my first hand post. MP2 is tight-passive-aggressive and appears to be a decent player, SB is loose-passive-passive and appears to be a bad/fishy player.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (13 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB

--

I'm not sure if I played this hand correctly, any comments?

Thanks,

Spiz

POKhER
07-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Converter broken?

Looks fine to me,
Turn Play... I probably call but some may say raise(I think your behind at this stage but who knows).

deception5
07-28-2005, 04:45 PM
I would be inclined to raise the turn and slow down if I'm 3-bet. When the queen comes on the river I definitely cap.

irishpint
07-28-2005, 04:47 PM
what's up shooter? i like the hand- a couple things to consider calling the flop and raising the turn might be a different line rather than 3 betting and forcing someone to call3 cold or 2 cold. When capped it looks like a set, which is why i think your turn play is ok. Cap that river all day bud.

baronzeus
07-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Flop cap is fine.

Raise the turn. You're likely splitting with this guy but make SB pay to continue.

River cap is fine., but in retrospect, since he only plays 3 hands this way (KQ and 88 and Q8s) you're better off just calling his raise. You'll get 1 less bet out of it overall but you lose less when you're behind to 88.

if he has 88, which is the only legitimate hand that beats you, you have to pay him off. There's no way a decent player doesn't raise KK pf so you're officially behind 1 hand.

gharp
07-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Given your read of MP2 the only hand that makes sense for him on the river is 88. With that possibility, it might be better to try to get the overcall out of SB.

In the heat of battle, though, I'm pretty sure I would've played this the same way you did.

aK13
07-28-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop cap is fine.

Raise the turn. You're likely splitting with this guy but make SB pay to continue.

River cap is fine.

if he has 88, which is the only legitimate hand that beats you, you have to pay him off. There's no way a decent player doesn't raise KK pf so you're officially behind 1 hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I agree with raising the turn here. I'd be more inclined to do it if the turn card didn't pair the bottom card, as we're likely behind every single flop capping hand except another KQ (weird AA pulled ahead, K8, Q8)

If the turn was a blank, I'd be tempted still not to raise because I'd hate the 3bet, but maybe I'm weak tight.

baronzeus
07-28-2005, 04:54 PM
We can rule out AA, I think. I think we're splitting often enough that this is a must-raise to get SB to pay more with his offsuit Q or K.

But you're right, I'd probably puss out and call because I'm a puss.

deception5
07-28-2005, 05:05 PM
The only hands that make sense for a flop cap are AA/AK/KQ/KK/QQ/88/KJ/KT/K8/Q8. If he's a decent player, K8 and Q8 should have been mucked preflop and AA-QQ would probably have been raised preflop. That leaves AK/KQ/88/KJ/KT as the most likely candidates and 88 is very remote. I think the odds are good that we still have the best hand on the turn so I raise.

2+2 Junkie
07-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Nice hand. Other than pocket 8's, you have this thing won (QQ is unlikeley since you get 3-bet. I like all streets.

gharp
07-28-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That leaves AK/KQ/88/KJ/KT as the most likely candidates and 88 is very remote.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking along these lines too, but I figured AK and possibly KQ to be raised preflop, and eliminated those (KQ also b/c it's kind of irrelevant). I think a flop cap from KJ/KT seems very unlikely, especially since we raised preflop and raised the flop so he should be thinking we have a K. Thus, 88.

On the turn, 88 looks less likely b/c there's only one combination, but when he raises the river I think it's the only hand that makes sense given the read and all his plays.

baronzeus
07-28-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
QQ is unlikeley since you get 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

QQ is unlikely because there aren't 5 queens in the deck.

Eeegah
07-28-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
QQ is unlikeley since you get 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would pay to be shown QQ here /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(e: beaten)

deception5
07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
One more thing to consider is that he's tight passive preflop, so limping AA-QQ/AK/KQ are all more likely than against a regular tag.

666shooter
07-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Nice feedback, thanks guys. MP2 had 88.

Paxosmotic
07-28-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice feedback, thanks guys. MP2 had 88.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't stop paying off quads with full houses, it's +EV to put the pedal clear to the floor on a full house.

TomBrooks
07-28-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if I agree with raising the turn here. I'd be more inclined to do it if the turn card didn't pair the bottom card, as we're likely behind every single flop capping hand except another KQ (AA pulled ahead, K8, Q8)

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point

Durs522
07-28-2005, 07:12 PM
I'd play this turn more aggressively. More likely than not you're not behind here. If you're three bet I'd probably call and check/call the river UI. With the Q on the river its time to cap. Looks like you may have missed a bet in there but its not terrible.

Durs522
07-28-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I agree with raising the turn here. I'd be more inclined to do it if the turn card didn't pair the bottom card, as we're likely behind every single flop capping hand except another KQ (weird AA pulled ahead, K8, Q8)

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think the flop would get capped by an opponent holding AK?

Durs

TomBrooks
07-28-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You don't think the flop would get capped by an opponent holding AK? Durs

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think so. That would be strongly overplaying TPTK. And AK would have been likely to get raised preflop also.

McGahee
07-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Re: the turn - I'm not sure why you'd want SB to fold - he appears to be drawing real slim. I'd play it the same.