PDA

View Full Version : Weak-tight river?

PSW
07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Well, let's try one more. I don't think I am weak-tight here... unless you don't like the call down on the river. Bet fold would be another option... I don't like check folding but the old checkraise the turn, bet river has me a bit spooked.

BB is 21/4/1.2 after 50 hands

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.66 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB

W. Deranged
07-28-2005, 02:35 PM
This seems like a great opportunity for a "total bets calculation" argument:

How many bets do you want going in in total on the turn and the river once villain check-raises you?

3 is going to be the minimum.

5 probably means you are beat, because it means villain puts in another raise somewhere (or donk-bets the river).

Against a villain who is average and not totally rocky, I think your hand in a short-handed pot is probably worth a little bit more than the maximum. Opponents will bet/raise with top pair, draws, and so on here.

Now, three-betting the turn means that you open yourself up to a cap/lead by villain. You have lots of outs against two pair and so you don't want to pay too much yet.

If you wait to raise the river, you are less likely to get raised if villain doesn't have a really huge hand, so you can probably hit that 4 bet number most accurately. You also don't discourage villain from continuing bluffing, which he might be doing.

Hence my vote goes to:

Call turn, raise river.

DeeJ
07-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I play it like you. He's not normally aggressive and may have better than top pair, in which case he has you beat. Therefore (unless the board pairs the river) I'm gonna see his hand to see what the tag checkraises with /images/graemlins/grin.gif and hopefully it's AQ.....

RiverTheNuts
07-28-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Well, let's try one more. I don't think I am weak-tight here... unless you don't like the call down on the river. Bet fold would be another option... I don't like check folding but the old checkraise the turn, bet river has me a bit spooked.

BB is 21/4/1.2 after 50 hands

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.66 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine... BB has you worked... no one raises a weak queen or draw here unless they hate money

colgin
07-28-2005, 07:22 PM
It seems like you don't have a terribly great read on villain so you have to call this down. When you say weak-tight river are you questioning whether you should have raised? I think you are behind too often to raise profitably here. With a different read you may have re-raised the turn, but since you did not I would just call the river.

PSW
07-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I couldn't see raising the river, yet I was accused of being weak-tight w/ the play I posted in another thread earlier today. Just wanted perspective on this in light of that.

Thanks

edit for results: Villian has QTo and my hand is XXXX