PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Straight 4/8

DTsee
07-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Typical 4/8 game villian is one of the better players at the table but fairly LAG he plays well after the flop. I have a good image and the villian has folded to my bets on later streets several times

I am in the CO with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG calls
UTG+1 calls
MP1 calls
MP2 folds
Villian raises
I call
Button folds
SB folds
BB calls

Flop (6BB) K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB Checks
UTG bets
UTG +1 calls
MP1 folds
MP2 calls
Villian Raises
I smooth call
BB folds UTG, UTG+1 and MP2 all call

Turn (11BB) 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets UTG +1 folds, MP2 folds Villian Raises, I 3-bet UTG calls, Villian calls.

River (21BB) J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks Villan raises, I re-raise, UTG folds, Villian calls

Final Pot (23.75BB)

How could I have played this better? Should I have 3-bet the flop? I thought about it but I wanted build the pot and I thought that would scare off the early position callers. Was my bet on the turn correct? results in a few

meep_42
07-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I like your flop and turn play, but on the river you should just call. The best you can hope for at this point is a split pot.

-d

bigalt
07-28-2005, 01:59 PM
One of the only times I'm tempted to table coach is when I bet a split pot and the guy right after me raises, knocking one or more likely callers out.

Of course here you are at further risk of being 3-bet by a house (while most likely standing nothing to gain by raising), so i really really wouldn't raise that river.

shant
07-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Like the others have said, get the overcall on the river.

DTsee
07-28-2005, 02:06 PM
My thinking on the river was that a full house would have re-raised my 3-bet on the turn so I wasn't worried about that, maybe a mistake. Also The villian in this had was pretty loose and I didn't put him on ace. With those reads is betting the river still incorrect?

brettbrettr
07-28-2005, 02:11 PM
If villans a lag I 3-bet pre-flop. Don't slowplay here either. Just keep betting and raising.

callmedonnie
07-28-2005, 02:25 PM
By not raising flop you kept three callers contributing, and you have a monster hand. As it turned out had you raised the flop, you may have gotten another 2 big bets in pot, but you may have lost that on turn.

The turn was nice that it was a diamond, but ugly to see the board pair. Anyway, I am three betting there too. The river is just an ugly card.

callmedonnie
07-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Another thing, how often does the forum like calling two bets preflop with AJsuited in this spot?

If the player is loose I prefer to raise. sometimes I fold. The point is, I find I seldom call bets cold, but I guess a pp or good suited ace are the exceptions.

meep_42
07-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Depends on the limpers. Live, i've found that, a lot of people will call 2 more pre-flop. Your equity edge (if you have one) isn't huge here, and you have position.

So, I think a cold-call is fine here, but a raise isn't bad by any stretch. I think folding is the worst option.

-d

DTsee
07-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Villian showed J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and I took down the pot

shant
07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian showed J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and I took down the pot

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't let the results sway you. At best you were going to chop the majority of the time. In this hand it helped that your opponent was a moron, but the overcall is still a better way to go.

DTsee
07-28-2005, 04:47 PM
I agree with you, just wanted to post results even though they aren't important. I'm still a newb and appreciate all the help. The Jack on the river was one of last cards I wanted to see. I realize now unless he's a complete retard not a lot of good can come from it.