PDA

View Full Version : A NL hand.

Huh
03-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Starting to play some NL online, I am very new to this, so take it easy on me. I love the game, but I play a little timid sometimes.

I'm in late position with
K /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Two early limper, I call, and a blinds see the flop which comes down.

There is $20 in the pot
5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Two checks, and a bet of $25 to me, I call, and everyone folds.

I know I have a nice draw here, but I was a little gun-shy. Didn't think I could pick up the pot here, and wanted to see the next card.

$70 in the pot

Turn is 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

My opponent bet $25 and I call. Still not ready to make a move yet. I fear my opponent is already there so I figured I would just call. Should I take a shot at this pot?

$120 in the pot
River is the beautiful 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif I was trying to bet enough that my opponent would call, yet not enough that he if re-raised me back the pot I wouldn't feel bad about mucking my hand. Is this an okay strategy?

My opponent checks, I bet $50 and he calls. My hand is good.

I would appreciate comments on all streets.

Thanks,
Huh

**MR.MANHATTAN**
03-06-2003, 12:34 AM
go allin after the flop or fold

Huh
03-06-2003, 01:43 AM
Not trying to be a jackass, but could you please explain why? I am a limit hold'em player so this doesnt make sense to me.

Thanks,
huh /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

MHoydilla
03-06-2003, 03:57 AM
It would be alot easier to help you and any other future poster on this forum if you could include all revalent players chip stacks and include the exact amount of all bets, because in no/pot limit holdem this information dictates how the hands should be played. I will definitly comment on the hand after this info is posted. thanks

Huh
03-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Everyone in the hand had over $200.

I had just over $400
The big-blind had close to $1200
First early limper(one who folded) had about as much as I did.
Second early limper had $300 or so. (Still had close to $200 when this hand was over I believe)

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
-Huh /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

12Motion
03-06-2003, 02:32 PM
I think you played it just fine. The pot was big enough for you to draw to a nice flush, a gutshot and an overcard. There where other people calling. I don't think you would have won the pot with a semibluff into more then one person. You either hit something and won, or not. No bluffing is needed here, the pot wasn't even that big. Nice river bet though I liked it.

As for going all in on the flop, I hope that was a joke. Risking $300 for a $75 dollar pot without even a nut draw might just be the silliest thing I could think of doing.

**MR.MANHATTAN**
03-06-2003, 02:55 PM
I'LL TELLL U WHY.....IT IS BAD FORM TO CALL 25...25....I PUT THE MAN TOES IN THE FIRE ON THE FLOP.......OK U HAVE NO NUT OUTS.......DO U THINK YOUR MAN HAS THE STRT? U PUT HIM IN U WIN RIGHT THERE.....BUT I LIKE THE WAY U PLAY IF IM AN OPPONENT....KEEP ON.....DONT MIND ME.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

MHoydilla
03-06-2003, 05:12 PM
I agree with the last poster that you played the hand fine. Preflop good call, on the flop you are wise not to raise and should be with the two playes still to act. If one of the other two players raise big and gets called its very possible that the nut draw belongs to them and you for all intent and purposes would be drawing dead. On the turn if you think the better would be still pushing one/two pair there would be nothing wrong with a raise here because it would be difficult for him to reraise you without having flopped the complete nuts 69, if he is tight I would definitely raise him here. On the river the bet of 50 is cool if you think thats all he would pay. I think I would have bet 60 (1/2 pot) but if he would have folded for the extra 10 it would have been horrid. As a side note, you wrote in your first post your new to the game of NL, you may want to play in a smaller game until you fully catch on as mistakes in this game cost alot of money. Hope that helps, its just how I see it.

Diplomat
03-07-2003, 04:08 PM
I agree completely. What the river check looks like is a two-pair/top pair hand looking for a free showdown. Your bet of 50 is just about right, give or take a few bucks.

The real trick here is finding a balance between the maximum your opponent is willing to call and what amount will make him fold. I think you hit it right on the nose. The only other option on the river is going all-in -- if he's going to call a pot-sized bet, he's going to call it all.

-Diplomat