PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this call?

Rabid_Hippo
07-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Live action 5-5 NL. About 4 hours into play. Villian is tight and aggressive, but tends to overvalue his hand (but has shown the nuts a few times tonight). I am in SB and am dealt K9o. Villain is in CO. 4 limpers preflop. Blinds check.

Hero ($1600)
Villain ($3000)
Button ($400)

Flop is 997 (rainbow).

I make it $45.
Folds to Villain who calls.
Button raises to $90.
I reraise to a total of $290.
Villain instantly pushes all-in.
Button folds.

What would you do?

not_da_nizzles
07-28-2005, 01:08 PM
If you have trips and you're getting a lot of action, you're probably beat. I'd fold.

My guess, button has the other 9 and CO has 77. (But I'm always seeing monsters now thanks to 2+2)

mj

Voltron87
07-28-2005, 01:17 PM
i wouldnt reraise the flop after youve bet it, that is a screaming bet.

villain has coldcalled and then reraised all in, that usually someone means the nuts or close. this depends on how much he will overplay his hands, there are a bunch of bad players youre ahead of. this depends on what he thinks of you and is very read dependant, i think its close.

teddyFBI
07-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Alright, so only hands you don't want to be up against are A9 and 77 (and an unlikely 97s, I suppose)

I can't imagine that villain makes this move with 77 or 97s...why not just call the $290, and hope to trap the button for his remaining stack.

Doubt button on a short-stack lays down any kind of 9. He probably tried to pump A7 or the like.

A9 is a possibility. So is a poorly played overpair. I think you're still good here. You'll get shown J9, Q9, T9 and 98 enough here to make a call worthwhile.

my .02

TheWorstPlayer
07-28-2005, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't re-raise his min-raise.

Murderous
07-28-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

When considering all the action up to Villain's push...I think he has to put at least one of you on a 9...unless the table has been playing loose or your table image is being considered. Nonetheless, I think it is likely that you are beat and should fold.

Nice flop over-bet by the way...Villain may be thinking you are trying to buy the pot from the SB. How you are perceived greatly determines whether this is a call/fold. If you aren't sure of your image I think this is a fold.

But personally I would make a crying call because I can't play this game for !@#$.

teddyFBI
07-28-2005, 06:33 PM
My question remains, though: If Villain had one of the 3 hands you fear: A9, 97 or 77, his push makes no sense. Why risk bullying out the button and his smallish stack? I still say you call this with your cock out.

lapoker17
07-28-2005, 06:40 PM
I play trips like I play a big pair - I try to keep the pot manageable until/unless I fill up. I lay this down easily and curse myself for 3 betting. The flop lead is good the 3 bet is not.

autobet
07-28-2005, 06:57 PM
I would call here. Villian could have 98,910,J9 or Q9. These are all reasonable calling/limping hands and you said he tends to overvalue his hands.

FoxwoodsFiend
07-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Routine fold. Any time a player who's pretty solid calls a small bet, and then puts in a big reraise after a few players have shown interest, I assume he has a monster. I assume you're worried he might be overplaying 89 or 910 based on the addition of "he tends to overvalue his hands." I rarely see any half-way reasonable player make such big all-ins with just weak trips.

FoxwoodsFiend
07-28-2005, 07:01 PM
I hate when people say "if he wanted a call why would he bet this much? you should call" Maybe the reason he would bet that much is because most people think he wouldn't waste the nuts with such a big bet, so he knows he's getting paid.

spoohunter
07-28-2005, 07:06 PM
My line is the same as almost everyone has said. Smooth call the min raise (you are definitely way ahead or way behind here), and fold the river. He probably has the underful or A9 and doesn't want to wait for you to spike your kicker.

teddyFBI
07-28-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play trips like I play a big pair - I try to keep the pot manageable until/unless I fill up. I lay this down easily and curse myself for 3 betting. The flop lead is good the 3 bet is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

good god, I don't usually get so emotionally involved with these threads, but I think this is a very clear call. Not only for the reasons I've mentioned in earlier replies, but consider one more thing: you completed from SB, so even if Villain puts you on a 9, there's no reason to think he think your kicker is strong. I think it FAR more likely he'd play his T9, J9, or Q9 just like he did, rather than A9, 97, or 77 with which there's no reason he wouldn't slow down on flop to bring button along or just to camouflage. While open-minded, I really think I'm right here.

To OP, results??

Rabid_Hippo
07-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I thought about this one for a while and called.

He turned over 97o.

Needless to say, a K didn't come on the turn or river.

lapoker17
07-28-2005, 08:17 PM
exactly

Voltron87
07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
if you think this is a very clear call you are going to lose a lot of money playing no limit.

TonyBlair
07-28-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice flop over-bet by the way

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the flop overbet as a good play, particularly if hero is then going to contemplate folding this hand.

He should fold though, as it stands. So he hit 3 nines; he could be miles ahead but I don't see a tightish or decent player making this play (because it's a loose move and sucks).

creedofhubris
07-28-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Routine fold. Any time a player who's pretty solid calls a small bet, and then puts in a big reraise after a few players have shown interest, I assume he has a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is often called the "superman move". Watch out for it. Try to avoid it yourself, it gives away a lot.

Bosox
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is often called the "superman move". Watch out for it. Try to avoid it yourself, it gives away a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

..and yet people continue to pay it off. unless he's wearing his 2+2 certification badge, i'll still advocate playing superhero.
sox

man
07-29-2005, 12:44 AM
I read the results, and I hate results-oriented thinking, but I still think this is a fold.. I don't think the fact that he overplays his hands is evidence towards a call.. he'll overplay 97 just as much as he overplays 98, so you can't use the "why would he push the nuts so hard?" logic.

despite his abusive minraise, many players will push on the flop with the nuts when they sense strength in other players (and I'm not sure this isn't such a bad play, because doesn't it induce folds later on against thinking opponents?)

also, this is a very difficult question to answer without knowing your table image.

FoxwoodsFiend
07-29-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I read the results, and I hate results-oriented thinking, but I still think this is a fold..

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, the majority of the advice to fold was given before the results were announced. And if you mean the "I told you so" posts were results-oriented, I think you have to assume people lay their rag 9s so strong to make it seem that telling the difference between the nuts and nothing here can only be done in retrospect. That is simply not something I believe-the "superman move" (just learned that term) is only employed by weak trips by the most inexperienced opponents.