PDA

View Full Version : KK Heads Up against a very passive player

deception5
07-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Interesting hand I thought from Stars 2/4 6-max.

Opponent I have over 150 hands on. He is to my right and very weak/tight. Preflop raise is 2.5% and he will usually check/fold the flop if he misses. Aggression is around .5.

I am dealt K /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif. Weak tight raises and I 3-bet from the small blind. BB folds and Weak tight just calls.

Flop comes 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, heads up.

I bet, villian raises, I 3-bet, villian caps.

Turn is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I bet, villian raises, I fold.

Too weak? Is there a better line I should take on the turn/river here?

McGahee
07-28-2005, 01:11 PM
I usually don't fall in line with the "don't ever fold this" crowd. But seriously, don't fold this.

I can't rationalize his stats and his play to you. Maybe his girlfriend played this hand. Maybe he's tired of you raising, maybe he's drunk and/or on tilt. His numbers may not explain how he can play QQ like this; but his numbers also indicate he's not capping a flush draw. It really doesn't make sense for him to play anything this way if he's that passive. There are only a few combos of Aces that beat you here - you know that.

KingOtter
07-28-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting hand I thought from Stars 2/4 6-max.

Opponent I have over 150 hands on. He is to my right and very weak/tight. Preflop raise is 2.5% and he will usually check/fold the flop if he misses. Aggression is around .5.

I am dealt K /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif. Weak tight raises and I 3-bet from the small blind. BB folds and Weak tight just calls.

Flop comes 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, heads up.

I bet, villian raises, I 3-bet, villian caps.

Turn is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I bet, villian raises, I fold.

Too weak? Is there a better line I should take on the turn/river here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he didn't cap flop, I'm going to vote 'yes', too weak.

He's still pushing though, so I'd give him credit for a pair of something. I really think AA would cap flop, though.

I'd call this raise and check/call river. But I'm pretty weak myself.

KO

deception5
07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since he didn't cap flop, I'm going to vote 'yes', too weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean preflop, right?

gharp
07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't think I can convince myself that he doesn't have QQ, JJ or TT here (especially with a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) so I'm calling down.

nomadtla
07-28-2005, 01:24 PM
*grunch*
This does seem rather interesting.
I think even someone that weak/tight would still cap aces. So then I thought AK or AQ of /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, but with that low an agression would he really bet a draw. But if he slowed down preflop you'd think he wouldn't keep pushing on the flop unless he hit. I think I call it down.

DeuceKicker
07-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Strange hand. With a low PFR, it looks like a group 1 hand. But then he goes wild on this flop and you wonder just what the heck he could have connected with. (His stats don't make it seem likely that he's jamming a draw.)

Is your super weak-tight read based just on stats, or do you have some solid observations? If it's just stats, I might call down after the flop just to see what he has.

deception5
07-28-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I can convince myself that he doesn't have QQ, JJ or TT here (especially with a ) so I'm calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was that in a weak tight's mind, the flush draw completing on the turn and the strength I showed up to this point that he would call down with anything less than AA. His turn raise says that he's not afraid of what I have. 8.5BB in the pot so I need to be ahead (and potentially dodge the flush) around 20% of the time to justify calling down.

Also around 20% of the time a 4th flush card will come putting me behind any of those one diamond pocket pairs, so I actually need to be ahead a little more often to make calling down correct.

Just didn't think I was ahead that often here.

deception5
07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is your super weak-tight read based just on stats, or do you have some solid observations? If it's just stats, I might call down after the flop just to see what he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Observations as well. I have almost never seen him play back postflop.

Cheshire
07-28-2005, 01:39 PM
After the villian caps on the flop I think I would go into check call mode. The only thing I could think of the villian having is the AK diamonds. It does not match his numbers but this is a really great flop for AKd and he could be feeling frisky. Aces with the A of diamonds seems a little two aggressive for the player you described. But I would call down because there could be a chance of an over pair other then aces. What about the other two kings? I kind of like that idea.

07-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Well Aces are an immediate thought, If hes only raising that often your looking at AKs, KK, AA, and an occasional AQs. My first thought here is aces since hes been soo aggressive. AK or AQ diamonds is also a thought, but he wouldnt be reraising the flop with a flush draw. I call down here, because folding a pot this large is not something I am willign to do if I think theres even a small shot I may have the hand won, even I come up short on the showdown, the infos worth 1 more call. Who knows, hes prob on tilt, or outta his element for some reason, maybe he went to the head and had a buddy sit in who thought QQ was the nuts. Now I want to know what he had!
CDL

nomadtla
07-28-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about the other two kings? I kind of like that idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking that myself since then he'd have a diamond draw and I could see him plaing KK or QQ with a/images/graemlins/diamond.gif this way.

deception5
07-28-2005, 01:46 PM
KK is the least likely hand but a possibility. If I call down though I'm putting in 2BB for a shot at splitting giving me back 4BB and he'd have a 20% chance to improve to beat me.

gharp
07-28-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thought was that in a weak tight's mind, the flush draw completing on the turn and the strength I showed up to this point that he would call down with anything less than AA.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point, but you can also take it to the next level, right? If you've played this much with him than he's been observing you too -- would he think you're an overaggressive bully who couldn't possibly have a 7?

deception5
07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good point, but you can also take it to the next level, right? If you've played this much with him than he's been observing you too -- would he think you're an overaggressive bully who couldn't possibly have a 7?

[/ QUOTE ]

He may think I'm overaggressive, definately an argument for calling down.

I don't think he thinks I'm representing the 7, I think by this point he'd have to think I'm on an overpair or a flush draw which came in.

Delphin
07-28-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the villian caps on the flop I think I would go into check call mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the turn only when it isn't a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

As it happened, I check/call two more bets to see what he's got.

deception5
07-28-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As it happened, I check/call two more bets to see what he's got.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was I have to call a bet from a better hand when I do this and a worse hand may check behind.

MrEngenic
07-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Why don't u just check/call this down after the flop cap?