PDA

View Full Version : Would you fly to/from Vegas on 9/11?

07-28-2005, 11:14 AM
A friend of mine proposed going on a short trip to Vegas in September and he floated out a few dates -- one of which would have us flying back on 9/11.

Curious -- do any of you think it would be crazy to fly on 9/11, especially with the recent London attacks?

I know, I know...you can't live your life in fear and all that logical thinking..but, that means squat when you're walking onto a plane on that day.

Curious as to everyone's thoughts on this matter? Thanks for any input you have.

TheIrishThug
07-28-2005, 11:19 AM
if anything, security would be tightest then.

coffeecrazy1
07-28-2005, 11:35 AM
I would fly 9/11.

I refuse to alter my life because the possibility exists that a terrorist act may occur.

Will: "He used to put a lead pipe and a belt on the table and say 'choose.'"
Sean: "I think I'd go with the belt on that one."
Will: "I'd always choose the pipe."
Sean: "Why?"
Will: "Because f*** him, that's why."

(I realize not the exact quote from GWH, but close enough to make my point.)

07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Interesting perspective and I agree for the most part...what movie is that dialogue from? I like that..

coffeecrazy1
07-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Good Will Hunting, though I screwed it up a bit.

shotkdr
07-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I am flying to Vegas on 9/11. I didn't think twice about it. The chances of something happening are so remote its not worth the time to worry about it. If something going to happen its going to happen. Rest assured if your on my flight and something does go down there would be a fight.

Shot

FoxwoodsFiend
07-28-2005, 02:54 PM
None of us has any insight into what Al-Qaeda's 9/11 plans are.

broomcorn1
07-28-2005, 03:04 PM
look at it this way, if you were part of that group of maniacs, would you try anything else using planes?
heightened security.
locked cockpits.
every person on board ready to fight to the death to spoil any plan they may have.
best case for them is the plane goes down like the one in PA, and those assholes can't stand to have their plots "foiled" like that.
ok, now i'm worked up just typing this.

Luv2DriveTT
07-28-2005, 11:35 PM
I flew 2 years in a row on 9/11, the planes are totally empty /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also flew out of JFK in NYC just 11 days after 9/11. Americans are scared of their own shadows, get over it people... get on with your lives. I was standing 10 blocks north of the tower when it went down, and I lost some associates, but you won't see me living in fear.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

whiskeytown
07-29-2005, 12:12 AM
that reminds me...

I BARELY missed a couple subway/station closings due to bomb scares on my way back from AC last weekend, from what I understand...

that would suck - to miss your plane cause some jackass joked about a bomb on the Penn Station platform...

but fly on 9/11 - hell yah - I really think if anyone tried a repeat of ANY hijacking on an American Aircraft, esp. by towelheads, that you'd see a repeat of the Pennsylvania aircraft where the passengers overpowered the hijackers - I don't give a [censored] if he's got dynamite strapped on, take him down before he kills thousands...

RB

07-29-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the interesting viewpoints...some very candid and honest and - sadly - a few jokers. I agree with the dominant thought that it's best to not live in fear...however, don't you think there's a difference between living in fear of UBL and his merry bandits attacking the US on any given day and actually flying on the anniversary of 9-11 and the proximity to the London attacks?

As the proud parent of a 7-month old boy, I want to make sure I take every precaution possible to keep myself alive...being cautious about not flying on 911 and being scared to death that there's a terorist around every corner - to me - appear to be two distinctly different things.

Haven't made up my mind yet...but, I'm curious to hear from more of you...again, thanks for the input!

coffeecrazy1
07-29-2005, 10:54 AM
I have posted before, but I will post again.

I do not like the two schools of thought(attack the terrorists, or withdraw troops entirely) of how to deal with the war on terror, because both schools allow the terrorists to win.

The terrorists do what they do because they hate us and want us dead. They believe that God has told them to kill all the infidels(no, I don't believe that Islam teaches this...I think these guys are off the Islam reservation). They want us live in fear, react irrationally, and disrupt our way of life. So...it is my belief(and mine alone, so no flames, please) that to radically alter one's plans because of some supposed terroristic significance is to allow the terrorists to win. Changing your life validates their actions.

There is not a plane of American passengers that takes off anymore that is not prepared to subjugate or kill any would-be terrorists. That much is unavoidable, and makes sense...as long as it is reactive. Preventative measures like not flying on 9/11, avoiding subways, and the Patriot Act gives inspiration and hope to the terrorists that what they are doing is working.

And that's not the message I would want to give to my son...that giving in to the whims of unreasonable people is acceptable...even if I have to pay with my life...it is worth it, because a man without principles and the courage to stand up for them is not a man at all.

midas
07-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Murph:

I flew to LV on the 2nd day after 9/11 that commercial flights were back in the air - the plane was packed. The pilot basically said that that the terrorists had slipped through some wide holes in the FAA screening nets and that those holes were now firmly plugged. Also, I firmly believe that every passenger is being profiled by the airlines and other government agencies.

You have a way better chance of getting killed driving on an average American highway than by terrorists on a plane.

zipo
07-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Look troll, American's aren't 'scared'.

9/11 caught us by surprise, because by being generally good natured and decent people, we never expected that muslim terrorists would cut peoples throats with boxcutters then fly planes full of people into buildings full of people.

Now, we know.

We didn't start this war - but we will finish it. And no American I know is 'scared' - we're just pissed.