PDA

View Full Version : 77 hand, weird river action, how well did villain play?

DavidC
07-28-2005, 08:42 AM
IIRC, both villains are in their first orbit (as am I). 9 hands played, and the river-raiser has 66/11/ag, river 3-bettor has 55/11/pac.

This is only based on 9 hands (you could have guessed by the percentages, right?), so please excuse me by labelling the guy with the passive post-flop numbers as passive (villain) and the other guy as the lag, even though sample size isn't useful.

The aggressive guy has the following note on him:
-bf into pfr with tpgk TQ
(he bet the flop into the preflop raiser with top pair good kicker, the Ten being the pair and the Queen being the kicker)

I think I've seen this guy do some dumbass things in the past orbit, but I didn't bother to note them.

---

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (5.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

---

Question 1) How well did I play the hand? What can I do differently, etc?

I COULD have checked the flop, but it would have felt really bad to do that. I took a shot at it, but when both of these guys called I was done with the hand.

Question 2) This is pretty clear to me: the laggy guy made a horrible raise on this river with KT, as he doesn't really beat a whole lot of hands that villain could be betting here, other than bluffs, which of course can't pay him off. Am I right about this?

Question 3) Given that the lag is a lag, and that he raised, was villain (the passive-post-flop player) correct in three-betting with A5 here? I think that it's very marginal, especially since he can't really fold to a cap, but the lag will have the better hand very often if he does cap... of course villain can't fold, but I think he perhaps should have called here. Was he correct to re-raise?

--Dave.

winky51
07-28-2005, 09:10 AM
77 is not a raising hand UTG+1. You can limp in a loose game thats is not heavily raised every round.

On the flop vs 2 callers and 3 overs your done. Even if neither have a pair most likely they have a draw with 2 overs on you. Even a hand like Q9 has 2 overs and a backdoor draw.

But since you raised betting the flop is your only reasonable chance of winning. Fold afterwards if called.

DavidC
07-29-2005, 07:54 AM
bump...

still curious about how well villain (the passive guy) played the river

johnnycakes
07-29-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Question 1) How well did I play the hand? What can I do differently, etc?

I COULD have checked the flop, but it would have felt really bad to do that. I took a shot at it, but when both of these guys called I was done with the hand.

Question 2) This is pretty clear to me: the laggy guy made a horrible raise on this river with KT, as he doesn't really beat a whole lot of hands that villain could be betting here, other than bluffs, which of course can't pay him off. Am I right about this?

Question 3) Given that the lag is a lag, and that he raised, was villain (the passive-post-flop player) correct in three-betting with A5 here? I think that it's very marginal, especially since he can't really fold to a cap, but the lag will have the better hand very often if he does cap... of course villain can't fold, but I think he perhaps should have called here. Was he correct to re-raise?

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Your play looks good. Sometimes I limp with 77. Sometimes I raise. Depends on the table's general tightness. For most of your passive 2/4 games, it's probably better to limp 77 and save the auto-PF-raise for 99 and up.
After you bet the flop, which has two overcards, and get called by both opponents, you're done with the hand (unless you spike a 7).

2) Yes, exactly right.

3) I think the 3-bet is OK. Why? CO is a LAG and could make bad raises with hands like KT, and he checked through the turn when he was last to act. No Ace would do this.