PDA

View Full Version : Frustration level 9.5

Wolf101
07-28-2005, 08:27 AM
I played a live $50 sng last night that was so bad it was almost funny. Almost.

I sat dumbfounded as I watched the first hand go down. I wasn’t involved but four guys brought the pot up to $2500 pre flop. Since we start with $1500 in chips and the blinds were only 25/50 I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. Three rags flopped and each idiot checked through to the river. It doesn’t matter who won, but the starting hands were J5o, K6o, 78o and T3o. WTF?

The same scenario played out repeatedly, hand after hand, while I waited for a playable hand. I figured I could play my regular game—with the idiots playing such garbage a solid hand would decimate them. The problem, of course, was all was getting was unsuited rags. Finally it got to the point where I had to do something. An 80 year old man was playing every hand…no way he had cards. Even though I had crap I tried to steal from the button for a large bet and he swung right back at me and called with 73. He took the pot down when he flopped two pair. Oh well. I don’t tilt easy.

Fast forward several rounds and I’m the short stack. I still haven’t seen a pair or even a hand I could semi-bluff with. People are still taking down pots playing any face card regardless of kicker. It was like they had never played poker before. The first real playable hand I got was AJs and I bet 5 xbb from the middle. It folds around to the chip leader who immediately goes all in. Since I’m sure he has a beatable hand (he played every hand) I called. He flipped over AK but I drew out a J and took the pot but I was still the short stack by a country mile. Down to six people.

Limping was out of the question with the pre flop betting that was going on and I still hadn’t seen a pair. The big stacks were still over betting every pot with wacky hands. I decided to stay alive I was going to have to play some cards because my post flop play would give me a huge advantage over the check/check/check party that was going on every hand. I made a play with KTs, the best hand I’d seen in a while and I was immediately put all in by the chip leader. By then I didn’t have enough chips to play well post flop anyway. I was beaten by a straight—fair enough.

I don’t mind losing at a tough table, I don’t mind losing when I play well, and bad beats don’t bother me…it happens, right? But what royally pisses me off is losing to people who have absolutely no idea how to play poker. Basically, a table full of complete morons. I’m used to playing morons, but I can usually outplay them with a couple of decent starting hands. But when the hands run completely dry you need some luck and I had none.

I think my biggest mistake was waiting too long. I’m a patient man and it usually serves me well, but I guess I waited too long for a real hand. I kept thinking it would come.

At what point do you decide to start playing 69o? I held off until the table was six handed and by then I was a gonner.

vabogee
07-28-2005, 08:33 AM
where is this game and what are the payouts? i'll be on the next plane...

brimstone1
07-28-2005, 08:46 AM
why didn't you just buy into the next game?
thats the first thing that came to my mind
gg by the way.

45suited
07-28-2005, 09:03 AM
thanks for sharing... do you need a hug?

vabogee
07-28-2005, 09:05 AM
By the way...are these legitimate strategic questions you have, or are you just venting?

Runner Runner
07-28-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
An 80 year old man was playing every hand…no way he had cards. Even though I had crap I tried to steal from the button for a large bet and he swung right back at me and called with 73.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
AJs and I bet 5 xbb from the middle. It folds around to the chip leader who immediately goes all in. Since I’m sure he has a beatable hand (he played every hand) I called. He flipped over AK

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing the patient game you are speaking of, why not wait for a better spot then trying to steal from players who are likely to call your preflop raise. In a game like this it's all about value betting.

When you called the allin with AJ and were dominated, you say that that player played every hand. Fine, but was he willing to go allin with every hand? Probably not. Also, if you were going to call an allin anyway, why not be the one to push in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
But what royally pisses me off is losing to people who have absolutely no idea how to play poker. Basically, a table full of complete morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get used to losing in poker to people you perceive as being worse then you, it will happen a lot. Also, you sound like the typical mediocre player who dramatically overrates their own poker playing abilities, you posted 2 hands and I didn't like the way you played either of them. Lastly, quit calling people morons, you want to be playing in a poker tournament with poor poker players don't you. If you play better then them, you will win more then your fair share. If you lose take it, like a man. Just because someone is a poor poker player, doesn't necessarily mean they are a moron, but if someone constantly berates others while putting themselves up on a pedestal, I can pretty much guarantee that person is a jerk.

Wolf101
07-28-2005, 09:21 AM
I can usually crack these games pretty easy, just a tough run of cards.

Actually, I was waiting at the cage to buy into the next game but decided to go home after an intense bout of acid reflux, which was bothering me all night. It was definitely bad or I never would have left-- a MTT was running and the bust outs were all buying into sng's, and most of them were sheep talking about bad beats. It was tempting.

I was venting, but the questions stands as to when to make a move w/ no cards in sight. I've been a winning player for a while, a lot of whichI attribute to not lowering my starting hand requirements, but obviously I need to better adapt to changing situations. I think I did a pretty good job of observing the entire situation. I was aware of stack size, position, pot odds and players and betting patterns (as wacky as they were).

I was beaten by my own hesitation, as far as I can tell.

I'd be interested in knowing what I might have been able to take advantage of to get further in this situation.

I'm not much on hugging men but I can appreciate the wit after re-reading my post.

Wolf101
07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing the patient game you are speaking of, why not wait for a better spot then trying to steal from players who are likely to call your preflop raise. In a game like this it's all about value betting.

When you called the allin with AJ and were dominated, you say that that player played every hand. Fine, but was he willing to go allin with every hand? Probably not. Also, if you were going to call an allin anyway, why not be the one to push in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Responses like these are why I started posting here. Good points. You're right, I should have pushed instead of waiting for it.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, you sound like the typical mediocre player who dramatically overrates their own poker playing abilities, you posted 2 hands and I didn't like the way you played either of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason a lot of people don't post here.

I know exactly where I stand in the poker food chain. I don't know where you got the idea I think I'm a great player. By posting what I posted, I willingly showed exactly the type of player I am, mediocre perhaps, but making progress. I don't know where you got the "dramatically overstates my play" thing. I have no idea where the "putting myself on a pedastal" comes from considering my posted play, which is hardly expert level.

I do sincerely thank you for read about the two hands, and I'm not being sarcastic.

I have no idea why this is so hostile an environment but it's probably worth it for the good info.

Runner Runner
07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know exactly where I stand in the poker food chain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone knows with certaintly exactly where they stand.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where you got the "dramatically overstates my play" thing. I have no idea where the "putting myself on a pedastal" comes from considering my posted play

[/ QUOTE ]

It comes from you calling others morons, you build yourself up by putting others down. You basically said that they didn't deserve to beat you and you cannot stand losing to morons, you can only stand losing to better players. Poker is not chess, and you should be happy about that. The short term luck involved keeps the donators from always losing, and it keeps them playing the game.