PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Hi. What do you do here ?

07-28-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm new to omaha.

.50/1 limit

K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I'm in SB

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I believe it was checked around.

5 people see the flop including me. (7 handed)

Turn: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif pot=2.50

I bet $1
MP raises to $2
LP calls
me ???

Do I just assume that I'm behind and fold ? Is there any value in calling and check/calling the river ?

MarkGritter
07-28-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to omaha.

.50/1 limit

K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I'm in SB

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I believe it was checked around.

5 people see the flop including me. (7 handed)

Turn: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif pot=2.50

I bet $1
MP raises to $2
LP calls
me ???

Do I just assume that I'm behind and fold ? Is there any value in calling and check/calling the river ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are getting 7.5:1 immediate odds and something like 5.25 :1 implied odds. You are behind Axs, Q9xx, T9xx, QQxx, and TTxx, J8s.

I think it is somewhat unlikely that you were up against a nut flush draw or set on the flop, unless your opponents are passive. Against a loose, aggressive opponent I would call this down (I've seen people bet straights on boards like this) since I can believe you're good 16% of the time. Heck, you still have the J/images/graemlins/heart.gif out for a straight flush! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Against tight, passive opponents I would fold, you probably have a second-best hand. It seems unlikely that both MP and LP are hoping a straight is good, and even if you are not up against a full house now you may be on the river. Knowing your opponents is extremely helpful here. What hands do you put them on? What sort of hands would LP call two with?

I might even consider check/folding this hand on the turn vs. a bet and a call, since you are out of position and the pot is small.

Tilt
07-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Fold

07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is somewhat unlikely that you were up against a nut flush draw or set on the flop, unless your opponents are passive. Against a loose, aggressive opponent I would call this down (I've seen people bet straights on boards like this) since I can believe you're good 16% of the time. Heck, you still have the J/images/graemlins/heart.gif out for a straight flush! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't have a straight flush draw, as that would only be using one hole card.

In Omaha, it's always risky to play a non-nut hand, so if you are going to play it, you need to be very cautious. I can see either calling down against opponents who you know aren't going to only bet their strongest hands, but I would fold if I didn't know anything about my opponents, or if they seemed even moderately tight.

IronDragon1
07-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Fold ASAP

If you aren't nutpeddling in the soul-crushing defeat that is playing limit Omaha then you're thinking way too much

MarkGritter
07-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Duh. You are entirely correct. I usually manage to remember that while actually playing. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tom Bayes
07-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Quit playing low-limit Omaha high to preserve one's sanity /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, chasing anything non-nut in this game isn't a good idea although you know the raiser will show weaker flushes or worse quite a bit.

I guess I'd check-call if the raiser is a known bluffer and/or idiot and fold otherwise.

07-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Not sure I can give up omaha after tonight. I made $40 in 45 minutes on the .50/1 limit game. That's kind of insane, isn't it ? Boy, it was good. I might be switching to limit omaha permanently.

flawless_victory
07-30-2005, 02:19 AM
A. this is a very easy fold. VERY EASY.
B. limit omaha high effing blows.