PDA

View Full Version : Transition from 3/6 to 5/10?

DCWGaming
07-28-2005, 06:48 AM
I've always got trouble pushing myself to move up to a higher limit. I just get successful, comfortable, and fear the success wont last when i move up. But this time, i promised myself I'd move up if my bankroll reached a certain point, and I'm quite close.

I've pretty much got cookie-cutter winning stats for 6max at 3/6 right now. 22-23vpip, 16-17pfr, 35% att. to steal, an average aggression of 2.1, etc etc. Aggression is a bit low, but the BB/100 has worked out very nicely. I've also been running well recently, so I'm earning more than I should.

But what can I expect when moving up? The only alteration I can really think of is that maybe ill steal 1 or 2% more and probably another 1-2% vpip from sb because of the slightly different blind structure.

Can I expect opponents to see through my moves more frequently? Less aggro-donks? I take pride in my ability to push someone to tilt, especially 1 or 2 seats to my left. Can i expect that to work less frequently?

Any advice from someone who has made the transition recently would be realy great.

Thanks alot,
Dan

btw - i assume this has been posted before but i couldn't find any recent posts. Links are also appreciated /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RunDownHouse
07-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Well, considering the Party 3/6 is so new, this probably hasn't come up since the last poster to go the Stars/UB 3/6 -> Party 5/10 route, and I can't remember when that was posted.

If you don't mind, what kind of hands are you completing from the SB with limpers? I'm really having trouble nailing down my SB play in the 1/3 structure.

Wynton
07-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm in a very similar situation, and think I'll be moving up to 5/10 in next month or so.

I have no personal knowledge, obviously, but will venture one guess. I assume that at 5/10 there are a lot more people who try to resteal the blinds. I have not noticed that happening very much at 3/6 pokerstars, where I play. I also would guess there is much less open-limping.

It would be nice if I'm wrong.

marand
07-28-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a very similar situation, and think I'll be moving up to 5/10 in next month or so.

I have no personal knowledge, obviously, but will venture one guess. I assume that at 5/10 there are a lot more people who try to resteal the blinds. I have not noticed that happening very much at 3/6 pokerstars, where I play. I also would guess there is much less open-limping.

It would be nice if I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of open limping at Party 5/10. Even at 10/20 I regularly see open limping from bad players.

aslowjoe
07-28-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always got trouble pushing myself to move up to a higher limit. I just get successful, comfortable, and fear the success wont last when i move up. But this time, i promised myself I'd move up if my bankroll reached a certain point, and I'm quite close.

I've pretty much got cookie-cutter winning stats for 6max at 3/6 right now. 22-23vpip, 16-17pfr, 35% att. to steal, an average aggression of 2.1, etc etc. Aggression is a bit low, but the BB/100 has worked out very nicely. I've also been running well recently, so I'm earning more than I should.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have described me in a nutshell. When I moved up from 3/6 at Stars to 5/10 at Party I found very little difference. The first session I lost 45 BB but knew that it was very beatable. After that I got on a run and never looked back.

I think the biggest key to beating 5/10 is table selection. There are some awful soft tables but again I have seen tables with 4 tags. Generaly the games are soft but a little bit more aggresive.

When you first move up try staying in the more passive games until you get used to the swings. A couple of LAG's at the table can lose you a lot of money if things don't well. I had that experience when moving up to 10/20. I was playing with a 75/35/2 player well he got a little hot and I lost 100 BB's in acouple hours and sent me scuttling back to 5/10 even though I know I beat that level the swing was too much too soon. If I was smart I would have left the table even though he was spewing chips to everybody else. I would more then likely still be playing10/20.

Cancuk
07-28-2005, 10:57 AM
the party 5/10 is weak. Cold Calling and Open Limping in that game is a plague. Although, its not as soft as the 3/6 short handed its still really weak, especially if you pick your tables well.
cheers.

Mig
07-28-2005, 12:45 PM
the bad player open limps with 9Ts UTG in 5/10 and the bad player open raise 9Ts UTG in 10/20... They are still bad players, they are just a little harder to read.

college_boy
07-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Weren't you already playing 5/10.

07-28-2005, 01:00 PM
I went to 5/10 from 3/6 a few months back although I still drift inbetween. Table selection is important (I bought pokertracker today). I think the 5/10 can be easier than the 3/6 level if you pick the right table. I play empire and the fish is plentiful there. I have run into a table of TAGS (before pokertracker) and had some rough sessions. The aggression level at 5/10 is higher than 3/6 as your expected. Reads are tough at these 6 max tables with some of the wild players youll run into. Needless to say, if your running well, you stand to make a lot of money. I see a ton of open limping and run into maniacs on a frequent basis, beware of them when they hit, its nearly impossible to put them on a hand.
good luck
see ya at the table
chris

Wynton
07-28-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to 5/10 from 3/6 a few months back although I still drift inbetween. Table selection is important (I bought pokertracker today). I think the 5/10 can be easier than the 3/6 level if you pick the right table. I play empire and the fish is plentiful there. I have run into a table of TAGS (before pokertracker) and had some rough sessions. The aggression level at 5/10 is higher than 3/6 as your expected. Reads are tough at these 6 max tables with some of the wild players youll run into. Needless to say, if your running well, you stand to make a lot of money. I see a ton of open limping and run into maniacs on a frequent basis, beware of them when they hit, its nearly impossible to put them on a hand.
good luck
see ya at the table
chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate why you think 5/10 can be easier than 3/6? Are you suggesting that 3/6 has more unpredictable players? And do you make the same observations at stars 5/10?

party36master
07-28-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Table selection is important

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I've been surprised at since I've moved to $3/$6 6-max from $3-$6 full ring is how table selection is really not that important in the Party $3/6 6-max game.
I have to move tables much less frequently in the 6 max game than in full ring. It seems as if every table has multiple upper 30's to 40's VPIP, one 60+ VPIP, and a TAG.