PDA

View Full Version : Hold'em Question...no story...sorry

11-14-2001, 06:49 PM
The Cave man is making me ask this question. His will it to great for me to resist.

Out played by a professional gladiator from the Valley of Patience. The SPM entered the game at the cut off posting the required big bet. The dealer sent him an ugly J2 double suited. The flop came J97 rainbow. All checked to the SPM who bet the top pair hoping for a quick win. The small blind a gladiator from the school of tight and aggressive raised. A middle position player called the raise cold, as did the SPM. The turn came another 7 an the gladiator bet, the middle position player called and the SPM agonized for about three seconds before mucking the J2. The river was the third 7 and the gladiator won with a Q9 for the second best full house.

After silently weeping over his inability to read the gladiators aggressive play. The SPM gave it some thought. First after thought, if he had a big AJ, KJ, QJ, he would have bet the flop. A J9 single suited maybe he would have check raised. A set he surly would have waited for the turn to raise. What could the SPM have done to win the hand. Could the only play have been to re-raise. A re-raise and the gladiator would have more than likely then released his hand, hind sight 20/20. If he had a better hand he would have then bet the turn. Where a release would have been the only play left to the SPM. All comments appreciated. We have no info on the middle position player, must be pretty bad because he called and couldn't beat a nine.

SPM,...the first had at yesterdays winter games...

11-14-2001, 07:12 PM
you rat you duped me. this is another story in disguise. you got what you deserved for your treachery spm. id of folded on the flop especially with another caller in there. too easy for you to be drawing dead.

11-14-2001, 07:33 PM
The problem with playing from the VoP is that it is generally very well lit and the road is clear at all times. When you are walking through A2CT, the roads are dim and hard to see. The correct path is often a mystery, and someone who hasn't spent time there may often take many a wrong turn.

In more plain terms, if you aren't in marginal situations often, its hard to judge what to do exactly. In this case, it would rest on my read of the other player. Does he checkraise the flop with top pair (this is a trait I've noticed that people either do or they don't do; not many will do it "sometimes"). If SB is not this kind of player, yep, reraise him. The J97 flop could give a fair number of draws as well, so I'm not totally concerned about the other caller; he could have KQ, QT, or even AT.

I'd say generally to reraise and if it gets capped, I'd be calling and folding if bet into on the turn without improvement (and I DO consider a J an improvement); however, I'm going to just be calling to the river even if I improve (unless I make running quads).

11-14-2001, 11:51 PM
think I have heard them say...garbage in, garbage out..could they be talking about J 2 ??

11-15-2001, 12:44 AM
I would've simply folded on the flop. If you're not already beat, you easily could be by the time the hand is over and it potentially will cost you another 2.5 big bets. Folding the best hand sometimes costs you money. But if you're NEVER willing to lose this money, it's gonna cost you plenty more over time. IMO-

btw- How come you didn't post this on Medium Stakes?

11-15-2001, 07:56 AM
now j6...jack sikma..used to be a big money hand in gr8 northwest..do not know if it got popular in montana or aurora...lol..gl

11-15-2001, 11:47 AM
btw- How come you didn't post this on Medium Stakes?

Kevin,

It was a silly question, Jeff just out played me and I had sub par nothing hand. I played badly and I knew it. But Joe wanted to see what you all would say. The Medium Stakes guys would have cut me to ribbons.

SPM,...no ego left after this post...

11-15-2001, 02:48 PM
you would'nt fold to a check, would you? For the same money SPM wasted (heh) on the flop, instead of taking the free card, he could have called a turn bet. (after making jacks over, and improving his kicker a good bit, and been in position to maybe take this pot down) Of course if it's 2 bets to you on the turn you would fold and lose nothing more than your late position blind on this hand. (which is also of course, the only reason you are in this hand)

hillbilly- who is trying to balance between, 1.not being weak-tight and 2. not being a fool, and 3. playing good POKER!, like the SB? did in this hand?

11-15-2001, 03:03 PM
Ray, I just re-read my post, of course you would'nt fold to a check, don't take that the wrong way. And of course you were mad at SPM for duping you and all.(heh)

Hoping you understood the true meaning of my post.

hillbilly-risking the wrath of Ray, hoping to learn more.

11-15-2001, 03:59 PM
I think you may have lost an extra 1/2 bet on the hand, but so what? It's sometimes correct to fold even when you suspect your opponent might be semi-bluffing (especially if he's good). Show me someone who would take this hand to the river every time, and I'll show you a losing player. I guarantee it...

11-15-2001, 09:24 PM
no sweat, hill billy. i said fold as he was check raised on the flop. i didnt go into the merits of whether he should have checked or bet but once he did and got raised in this spot it looked like a fold to me.