PDA

View Full Version : Barry Greenstein mentioned live big cash games coming to TV...

cwsiggy
07-28-2005, 12:13 AM
He was on Live at the Bike for a brief moment in the booth and Bart asked him what he thought of the live cash games they broadcast. Barry mentioned that it was great and said they get offers all the time for the games he is in on. Said there is something in the works (nearly signed) for live cash "big games" on TV.
Should be cool.....

Sully
07-28-2005, 02:36 PM
This could be an entire network. The Poker Channel can't be too far off.

cwsiggy
07-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Soon we'll see "Average Joe - The $2-$4 cash game" "Survivor - The $1 Stars buy-in tourney" , "Rock Star - Antonio's entourage" and of course "The Bachelorette - Annie Duke"

Smoothcall
07-28-2005, 04:48 PM
This (if it happens) would be my favorite poker to watch. Especially if they show the whole cards. i think it would do extremyl well. Especially if they dont just edit to big hands. like just view them play and 8 hour session o the "big game". Have it(have a poker channel whenever the game goes(have a poker channel) and it would definately do better than most cable shows. Players playing for actual live cash money. And no escalating blinds where it doens't become about luck wouls be interesting and very exciting. Not sure if this is how they will do it. but the way they should do it.

Malachii
07-29-2005, 05:25 AM
What, like televising the big game? Why would the players possibly agree to that?

Smoothcall
07-29-2005, 05:45 AM
If they got a piece of the action, plus for publicity to sell there books or internet sites or what not.

sekrah
07-29-2005, 07:23 AM
Disagree slightly.

I think they should tell us the hole cards, ONLY after the action is over..

They should keep everything a mystery until all the action is done. I think that would make for better poker TV.

Then after the hand, they can tell us what they had, and we can see if we're right. That would be a ratings killer IMO.

sekrah
07-29-2005, 07:24 AM
The players would LOVE to televise the big game, I reckon.

It would open up the Big Game to tons of new millionaire fish who don't even know the Big Game exists..

trying2learn
07-29-2005, 12:22 PM
i actually think if the big game was televised - you should do it WITHOUT the hole cards. they only have to show, if and when at showdown. for the big game (4/8 thousand mixed), this would still atract HUGE ratings and add a new edge of suspense that likens it to actually playing.

stinkypete
07-29-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they got a piece of the action, plus for publicity to sell there books or internet sites or what not.

[/ QUOTE ]

how about publicity to get new players into their game? like rich dudes with lots of money.

TheIrishThug
07-29-2005, 02:17 PM
i'd be surprised if the poker channel isn't very close to happening. there r already like 300+ channels out there. only problem is most of the big tournies already being claimed by other channels. might bring about another wpt-type of events. a big game show would def work.

i think half and half on the show cards during play or waiting to the end. most of the shows now have a hand or two where the viewer "plays along." thought the wsop jesus comercials r moranic, only showing the situation with no lead up to it.

Ulysses
07-29-2005, 03:52 PM
EdgeTV (http://www.theedgetv.com/)

Not sure what current status is, but these guys are focused very heavily on poker.

JoshuaD
07-29-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i actually think if the big game was televised - you should do it WITHOUT the hole cards. they only have to show, if and when at showdown. for the big game (4/8 thousand mixed), this would still atract HUGE ratings and add a new edge of suspense that likens it to actually playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It gets boring really, really quick. Ever watch a old WSOP? Imagine doing it without knowing poker?

People's favorite part of watching hold'em on TV is how the cards can land. They're fascinated by 1 or 2 outs coming in, or how a certain turn card can double a guys slim chance to win.

Jordan Olsommer
07-29-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

They should keep everything a mystery until all the action is done. I think that would make for a television program that hardly anybody would want to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

fsuplayer
07-29-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*yawns*

w/o hole cards, watching poker on tv is painful, no matter the limit.

beset7
07-29-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*yawns*

w/o hole cards, watching poker on tv is painful, no matter the limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a poker nut and I can hardly watch it WITH the hole card cameras.

cwsiggy
07-30-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a poker nut and I can hardly watch it WITH the hole card cameras.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because the WPT and ESPN has edited the hands to death. It's just the same old races 99 vs AK. The live "all hands" shows like Turning Stone are way better.