PDA

View Full Version : Over calling with a chip lead

07-27-2005, 11:01 PM
With 8200 chips vs. two opponents with approx 3000 chips each, should you ever overcall a 450 chip raise with an A 10 suited?

bluefeet
07-27-2005, 11:08 PM
if by 'overcall' you mean reraise, putting him all-in..."yes". with each shortie taking stabs at the blinds, i think ATs is close enough to my line - putting them to the test. i'd reraise all-in (nothing less than this hand).

07-27-2005, 11:15 PM
by overcall I meant that player 2 called the 450 raise by player 1.
Are you saying I should have re-raised and put both players all in pre-flop with an A T suited?

bluefeet
07-27-2005, 11:21 PM
ah, very interesting then! i hope others read this. logic would say you have a great chance getting both to fold. original raiser will have a tough call with 2nd guy cold calling his raise (still to act). though he would surely not pile on a 3 way would he?....2nd guy 'only' called - didn't push over the top of original raiser -- too weak to call your push (if #1 folds)?

- or -

let them duke it out, bolstering your position for a pretty easy 2nd place min.

hmmm, if you do get a caller - and lose, you'll still have a significant advantage over the 'folder'. and you your hand might be best.

curious what line others might take. i still think i'm coming over the top /images/graemlins/confused.gif

07-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Interesting, we think similarily,
I actually folded, let them duke it out and took 2nd in the tourny. ( Q,K with Q,K,6 flop, raise, reraise, reraise all-in, villian had set of 6's)

But getting back to the original call, I suppose the safe play was the fold and in turn, payed off, but had I committed and won the pot, the tourament would have essentially been over.

I think had I now had a chip lead at the time I might have pushed... but then likely would have gotten a caller from the other two since it wouldn't have risked their tournament lives... haha i dunno actually.. prolly still would have folded it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluefeet
07-27-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think had I now had a chip lead at the time I might have pushed... but then likely would have gotten a caller from the other two since it wouldn't have risked their tournament lives...

[/ QUOTE ]

i must have misread something. i thought you WERE the chip leader?? t8200 wasn't your chip count...vs. 3k's?

if you were shortie here, then yeah, i would have folded. a call from #1 could likely have encouraged #2 to pile on. ATs isn't quite enough to go 3 way.

07-27-2005, 11:39 PM
I was chip leader, we were just discussing what to do if I wasn't chip leader at the time. I think certainly fold if not chip leader, push if you are

bluefeet
07-28-2005, 12:21 AM
oh, ok....we're good then. threw me there for a sec.

ChuckNorris
07-28-2005, 01:08 AM
This is 100% dependant on your opponents. You should have some reads on them when ITM. I don't know about your usual sit'n'gos, but in the average low/medium buy-in party s'n'g I would just push here.

I don't see why you would want to call here. If you think you have the best hand, you should push to try to win the pot instantly (of which you should have a decent chance) or at least to get it heads-up (which is almost certain if you push, as SB will of course fold almost everything if button calls). Why on earth would you call and let them outdraw you?

If your opponents are incredible rocks and you're sure they have AJ or better then go ahead and fold.