PDA

View Full Version : Ann Coulter on Hannity & Colmes

Hal 2000
07-27-2005, 09:35 PM
During an exchange where she and Michael Reagan stated that if you're a "bad" Catholic (i.e. pro-choice), the Democratic Party will accept you (re: Judge Roberts), she chimes in with this gem...

"And if you kill a girl in Chappaquittick, they'll REALLY accept you."

Wow, Ann. So thought provoking, so substantive!!

Wouldn't this be a 'cheap shot', that conservatives abhor so much???

natedogg
07-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Wow, you just figured out that Ann Coulter is a blowhard with a sharp tongue? She is great at quipping witty insults, but not much else. She's certainly not a source to look for consistency and/or thought provoking insights....

natedogg

Hal 2000
07-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Already knew she was... just don't understand why she even still has a forum.

bobman0330
07-27-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Already knew she was... just don't understand why she even still has a forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because she's hilarious!

Why would you listen to a boring opinionated moron, conservative or liberal, when you could listen to Ann, who can at least make witty jokes?

andyfox
07-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Kennedy didn't "kill a girl." He wasn't in the car when she drove off the bridge.

JimBob2232
07-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Ann is the republican version of Al Franken. Nobody in the republican party really takes her seriously. She is a right wing nut. I cant say I disagree with her all the time, usually her underlying principle is something I support, but the way she goes about it makes her crazy. You are making a serious mistake if you assume the actions of ann coulter are representative of the republican party. If you want to go that route, then Al Franken is representative of the democratic party.

Dynasty
07-27-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy didn't "kill a girl." He wasn't in the car when she drove off the bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Do I misunderstand what the Chappaquiddick accident was? Wasn't Kennedy the driver and Kopechne the passenger in a single car that went off a bridge?

I found this obviously opinionated (biased?) website (http://www.ytedk.com/chapter2.htm). On it, there is a "written statement" given by Kennedy to the police.

"On July 18, 1969, at approximately 11:15 PM in Chappaquiddick, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, I was driving my car on Main Street on my way to get the ferry back to Edgartown. I was unfamiliar with the road and turned right onto Dike Road, instead of bearing hard left on Main Street. After proceeding for approximately one-half mile on Dike Road I descended a hill and came upon a narrow bridge. The car went off the side of the bridge. There was one passenger with me, one Miss Mary ________( There was a blank space here because Kennedy was not sure of the spelling of the dead girl's last name, and instead offered a rough phonetic approximation ), a former secretary of my brother Sen. Robert Kennedy. The car turned over and sank into the water and landed with the roof resting on the bottom. I attempted to open the door and the window of the car but have no recollection of how I got out of the car. I came to the surface and then repeatedly dove down to the car in an attempt to see if the passenger was still in the car. I was unsuccessful in the attempt. I was exhausted and in a state of shock. I recall walking back to where my friends were eating. There was a car parked in front of the cottage and I climbed into the back seat. I then asked for someone to bring me back to Edgartown. I remember walking around for a period of time and then going back to my hotel room. When I fully realized what had happened this morning, I immediately contacted the police."

~ from Inquest Exhibit # 2

West
07-27-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't know why I'm raising my blood pressure by posting on this forum, but I'm pretty sure that if we really apply a loony litmus test, Al Franken isn't going to be anywhere on the same planet as Ann Coulter.

Felix_Nietsche
07-28-2005, 12:10 AM
The police diver that recovered Mary Jo's body said he believes Mary Jo survived the accident just like Kennedy but that she passed out when her air pocket exhausted all the O2. He made this conclusion because:
(1) Mary Jo's body was upright despite the car being upside down.
(2) Her body was quite bouyant (her lungs still had air in them. The police diver was a veteran who had recovered the bodies of many drowning victims and in his opinion she did not drown (the victims of drowning has H2O in their lungs).

Mary Jo was still alive when Kennedy fled the scene and then WENT TO BED....without calling the police. Can anyone with an OUNCE of decency agree that going to bed while another person is trapped under water is a major scumbag?

Kennedy does not deserve any sympathy from Ann's barbs.

Felix_Nietsche
07-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Anne makes valid political points using a combination of satire, exageration, and seriousness. I think she is VERY funny. Obviously, Democrats who are the butt of her humor will not find Anne as funny as conservatives.

TransientR
07-28-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why I'm raising my blood pressure by posting on this forum, but I'm pretty sure that if we really apply a loony litmus test, Al Franken isn't going to be anywhere on the same planet as Ann Coulter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

And folks who describe that hate spewing viper Coulter as intelligent and witty prove that they have no idea what either intelligence or wit is.

Frank

adios
07-28-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't be more wrong.

Mary Jo Kopechne Incident (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKkopechne.htm)

From the link:

Kopechne and Kennedy left the party at 11.15pm. Kennedy had offered to take Kopechne back to her hotel. He later explained what happened: "I was unfamiliar with the road and turned onto Dyke Road instead of bearing left on Main Street. After proceeding for approximately a half mile on Dyke Road I descended a hill and came upon a narrow bridge. The car went off the side of the bridge.... The car turned over and sank into the water and landed with the roof resting on the bottom. I attempted to open the door and window of the car but have no recollection of how I got out of the car. I came to the surface and then repeatedly dove down to the car in an attempt to see if the passenger was still in the car. I was unsuccessful in the attempt."

Read the rest of the article. Kennedy got a slap on the wrist when he deserved to be in jail IMO. Also many believe that the circumstances of the case indicate that it's highly possible he murdered her.

ClaytonN
07-28-2005, 02:45 AM
I personally like the interview with Coulter where the guy asks her about the Iraq war and she mentions how the country of Canada is more or less traitors because they helped the US out in Vietnam, to which the interviewer says, "Actually, Ann, Canada did not support the U.S. in Vietnam".

Coulter's subsequent stumbling over words is priceless.

ptmusic
07-28-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anne makes valid political points using a combination of satire, exageration, and seriousness. I think she is VERY funny. Obviously, Democrats who are the butt of her humor will not find Anne as funny as conservatives.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it weren't for her long blond hair, no one would know who she was. She is not some master of satire, please.

-ptmusic

sirio11
07-28-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"And if you kill a girl in Chappaquittick, they'll REALLY accept you."

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you think the conservatives would have reacted if Al Franken or some other liberal said something like

"And if you kill a boy in Midland, they'll (the Republicans) REALLY accept you."

superleeds
07-28-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because she's hilarious!

Why would you listen to a boring opinionated moron, conservative or liberal, when you could listen to Ann, who can at least make witty jokes?

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think this joke has not been said before. This is just par for the course for her. She hasn't got an origional thought in her body. You need to get out more.

FishHooks
07-28-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree, her principal and intentions are good, but they way she goes about things isn't that great. Her books are fun to read though.

DVaut1
07-28-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you think the conservatives would have reacted if Al Franken or some other liberal said something like

"And if you kill a boy in Midland, they'll (the Republicans) REALLY accept you."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more like, how would conservatives react if you said something along the lines of:

"If your wife blew a stop sign in Midland and killed a kid, they'll (the Republicans) REALLY accept you."

FishHooks
07-28-2005, 09:27 AM
To a conservative I could care less about libs bashing coulter, I just laugh thinking about Moore, Frankin, Dean, and the many other good liberal comedy acts.

QuadsOverQuads
07-28-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd respond with blank-eyed stares and incomprehension, because most of them have no clue that there is a fatal accident in Laura Bush's past (she ran a stop sign and hit an oncoming car, killing the other car's driver).

q/q

Felix_Nietsche
07-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Laura Bush faced here responsibility. Also Laura Bush does not hold elected office.

Kennedy fled the scene and went to BED while Mary Jo was trapped underwater. You would think Kennedy would at least call the police before going to bed....I guess he was too tired.

slamdunkpro
07-28-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
....I guess he was too tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too Drunk

SheetWise
07-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I never trust liberals to get things right (the first time), so I went to look it up ...

From Wikipedia, re: Ann Coulter -

Further detail about Canada's involvement in the Vietnam war can be found in the CBC's "Canada's Secret War: Vietnam". Here (http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-71-1413/conflict_war/vietnam/)

See also Canada and the Vietnam War in Wikipedia.

[ QUOTE ]
The interviewer Bob McKeown countered, "No, actually, Canada didn't send troops to Vietnam." Coulter and McKeown then politely contradicted each other repeatedly before Coulter finally concluded, "Well, I'll get back to you on that."

Later in the show, McKeown stated that Coulter never did get back in touch with The Fifth Estate, and reiterated the filmmakers' position that Canada had not sent troops to Vietnam.

In a subsequent interview on C-SPAN, Coulter admitted that she had erred, but also stated that thousands of Canadian-born Americans had gone to battle:

"Yes, 10,000 Canadian troops, at least. [...] The Canadian Government didn't send troops [ ... ] [ but ] they came and fought with the Americans. So I was wrong. It turns out there were 10,000 Americans who happened to be born in Canada."

Later in the interview, when asked about the taping of the CBC show, she added:

"I talked to him [ interviewer Bob McKeown ] for three hours and the topic was not Canada's war history. It was an incidental point that he challenged me on and I didn't believe him because I had read about Canadian troops in Vietnam. I was right. People keep saying 'well, he didn't tell you that they - 10,000 troops - ran across to sign up with the Americans' because I don't think he knew."

More recently, a Time Magazine article on Coulter dated April 25, 2005, stated "Canada did send noncombat troops to Indochina in the 1950s and again to Vietnam in 1972."

[/ QUOTE ]

And remember that if you or any of your liberal friends know that any of this is false, you can go to Wikipedia and correct it -- just be prepared to prove it.

FishHooks
07-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Oh yea you tell those libs.

MtSmalls
07-28-2005, 03:24 PM
actually, it should be:

"If you're a coke-snorting, SEC dodging, failed business man, who would have died in his 30's if his Daddy's name hadn't been Bush, they'll REALLY LOVE YOU"

FishHooks
07-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Boy its funny when libs show their immaturity, so good for the Republican party.

ClaytonN
07-28-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm not a liberal. I'm fiscal conservative social democrat.

Regardless, you don't have to be a liberal to think Ann Coulter is a tard who should be laughed at.

SheetWise
07-28-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that something like a frugal spendthrift?

TomCollins
07-28-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that something like a frugal spendthrift?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe promiscuous virgin might be more fitting.

FishHooks
07-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Actually most moderates are fiscal conservatives and social liberals, its pretty common, only about 50% of the country consideres themselves to belong to one party.

TomCollins
07-28-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually most moderates are fiscal conservatives and social liberals, its pretty common, only about 50% of the country consideres themselves to belong to one party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you are closer to being a libertarian than you think.

FishHooks
07-28-2005, 05:56 PM
??????? How does making a statement about the majority of americans reflect my views?

BCPVP
07-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I never look to Ann Coulter for anything of substance. She's okay (not great by any means!) for sarcasm, but sarcasm gets really old, really fast. Give me William F. Buckley over Ann Coulter any day of the week!!!

Autocratic
07-28-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never trust liberals to get things right (the first time), so I went to look it up ...

Further detail about Canada's involvement in the Vietnam war can be found in the CBC's "Canada's Secret War: Vietnam". Here (http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-71-1413/conflict_war/vietnam/)

[ QUOTE ]
The interviewer Bob McKeown countered, "No, actually, Canada didn't send troops to Vietnam." Coulter and McKeown then politely contradicted each other repeatedly before Coulter finally concluded, "Well, I'll get back to you on that."

Later in the show, McKeown stated that Coulter never did get back in touch with The Fifth Estate, and reiterated the filmmakers' position that Canada had not sent troops to Vietnam.

In a subsequent interview on C-SPAN, Coulter admitted that she had erred, but also stated that thousands of Canadian-born Americans had gone to battle:

"Yes, 10,000 Canadian troops, at least. [...] The Canadian Government didn't send troops [ ... ] [ but ] they came and fought with the Americans. So I was wrong. It turns out there were 10,000 Americans who happened to be born in Canada."

"I talked to him [ interviewer Bob McKeown ] for three hours and the topic was not Canada's war history. It was an incidental point that he challenged me on and I didn't believe him because I had read about Canadian troops in Vietnam. I was right. People keep saying 'well, he didn't tell you that they - 10,000 troops - ran across to sign up with the Americans' because I don't think he knew."

More recently, a Time Magazine article on Coulter dated April 25, 2005, stated "Canada did send noncombat troops to Indochina in the 1950s and again to Vietnam in 1972."

[/ QUOTE ]

And remember that if you or any of your liberal friends know that any of this is false, you can go to Wikipedia and correct it -- just be prepared to prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a whole debate here on this - her whole point revolved around Canada backing the U.S. with their armed forces, which they clearly did not do in 'Nam.

SheetWise
07-28-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Further detail about Canada's involvement in the Vietnam war can be found in the CBC's "Canada's Secret War: Vietnam". Here

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you reply

[ QUOTE ]
There was a whole debate here on this - her whole point revolved around Canada backing the U.S. with their armed forces, which they clearly did not do in 'Nam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. There was a whole debate?

What she said was -

[ QUOTE ]
"Canada used to be one of our most loyal friends and vice-versa. I mean Canada sent troops to Vietnam - was Vietnam less containable and more of a threat than Saddam Hussein?" -- Ann Coulter to Bob McKeown

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Moore was kind enough to provide a link to the video. (http://www.michaelmoore.com/_media/Coulter.mov)

Triumph36
07-28-2005, 10:13 PM
This is so incredibly obvious - when you say a nation sends troops somewhere, it doesn't mean troops from their country went, it means THEIR COUNTRY ACTIVELY SENT TROOPS.

"Did you tell Michael to go to the store?"
"Yes."
"Did you remember to tell him to get milk?"
"Oh, no. He went by himself, I didn't tell him to go."

Do you see the absurdity in this made up conversation?
Not to mention it's in defense of an absolutely ludicrous point - Coulter would surely later claim that Vietnam was an equal threat to Iraq if it suited her.

I think someday I'll want these five minutes back.

FishHooks
07-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Haha, see liberals are pure amusement, I'm glad conservatives are getting laughs from their posts.

andyfox
07-29-2005, 12:00 AM
No one saw Kennedy arrive back at the Shiretown Inn in wet clothes. Ross Richards, who had a conversation with Kennedy the following morning at the hotel described him as casual and at ease. Kennedy even complained about a noisy party during the night.

Kennedy did not inform the police of the accident while he was at the hotel. Instead at 9am he joined two flunkies (Gargan and Markham) on the ferry back to Chappaquiddick. Steve Ewing, the ferry operator, reported Kennedy in a jovial mood. It was only when Kennedy reached the island that he phoned the authorities about the accident that had taken place the previous night.

A likely scenario is that Kennedy stopped the car and got out after spotting a law officer behind them. He told Kopechne to drive home alone after hiding from the officer. Mary Jo took off and, not even aware of the bridge, drove off of it. Kennedy was not aware she had an accident until the next morning.

Having said all this, I hold Kennedy responsible for the woman's death. He was treated with kid gloves by the police; the "inquiry" was a disgrace. Kennedy's statement that you cite is complete hogwash.
It was in the morning that he found out the woman did not make it back. He then went to the bridge, dove in to see what was what, came back all wet and made up the rest of the story.

andyfox
07-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Kopehcne's parents forbade an autopsy. The evidence indeed supports the conclusion that Kopechne survived the accident.

Kennedy's actions, however, seem that of a man who had left the car before the accident (also, he was not wet when he first got back) and therefore didn't know about it. When he found out about it, he would have had to make something up about why he had left with her but wasn't with her when she had the accident. Better to claim he was heroic in trying to save her.

His actions in any event were that of a scumbag.

andyfox
07-29-2005, 12:06 AM
I agree that Kennedy got a slap on the wrist and deserved jail. If the police who first interviewed O.J. Simpson treated him with kid gloves, they treated Kennedy with nothing. I still think the evidence leans in the direction of him not having been in the car when it went off the bridge. His story that you and Dynasty have quoted is a fairy tale.

Felix_Nietsche
07-29-2005, 12:32 AM
You are white washing Kennedy's role in Mary Jo's death. BIG TIME!

This site covers the Chappaquiddick incident thoroughly. Several contradictions were found in Kennedy's alibi. He admits that he drove the car and that he claims he tried to save Mary Jo.
http://www.ytedk.com/
What Kennedy's excuse for not calling the police until the next morning is laughable. He claims a state of shock altered his judgement to the point where he could not call the police yet he is able to catch a ride and check into a hotel and have a meeting with his handlers BEFORE calling the cops.

Kennedy's Statement:
"On July 18, 1969, at approximately 11:15 PM in Chappaquiddick, Martha's Vinyard, Massachusetts, I was driving my car on Main Street on my way to get the ferry back to Edgartown. I was unfamiliar with the road and turned right onto Dike Road, instead of bearing hard left on Main Street. After proceeding for approximately one-half mile on Dike Road I descended a hill and came upon a narrow bridge. The car went off the side of the bridge. There was one passenger with me, one Miss Mary ( Kennedy was not sure of the spelling of the dead girl's last name, and offered a rough phonetic approximation ), a former secretary of my brother Sen. Robert Kennedy. The car turned over and sank into the water and landed with the roof resting on the bottom. I attempted to open the door and the window of the car but have no recolection of how I got out of the car. I came to the surface and then repeatedly dove down to the car in an attempt to see if the passenger was still in the car. I was unsuccessful in the attempt. I was exhausted and in a state of shock. I recall walking back to where my friends were eating. There was a car parked in front of the cottage and I climbed into the back seat. I then asked for someone to bring me back to Edgartown. I remember walking around for a period of time and then going back to my hotel room. When I fully realized what had happened this morning, I immediately contacted the police."

*****If you peruse the statements of the investigating officers, you'll find that they did not believe his story. And who would based on all the contradictions between his story and the facts.

Felix_Nietsche
07-29-2005, 12:43 AM
I still think the evidence leans in the direction of him not having been in the car when it went off the bridge.
Huh!!!????
So Kennedy lied about driving that car off a bridge with Mary Jo in it? By the way, Kennedy was a married man attending a party with lots of single women and other married men. And here is the kicker! No wives attended that party. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

His story that you and Dynasty have quoted is a fairy tale.
So you are smarter than all the police officers that investigated this incident. Funny how they looked at the evidence and NONE of them came to your conclusion.
http://www.ytedk.com/

So your theory is Kennedy lied about being in the car???!!! This is the epitome of self-delusion.

George Killen, the State Police Detective-Lieutenant who investigated the accident, said that Senator Kennedy
"killed that girl the same as if he put a gun to her head and pulled the trigger."

andyfox
07-29-2005, 12:46 AM
I agree with virtually everything you say. (Wow! /images/graemlins/smile.gif) his story is completely unbelievable in light of the facts and the evidence. [Even worse, his first statement to police on the 19th contradicted the later one on the 25th. He never even mnetioned the other two guys (Markham and whatever the other guy's name was) trying to get her out of the car on the 19th.] The only thing I quibble with is "He admits that he drove the car." He lied about everything else, why wouldn't he lie about that? I would say "He claims that he drove the car." The impossibilities and inaccuracies of the story he told about what happened in the car, the fact that he did not appear wet or at all shaken when he first got back to the cottage, and did not mention the accident to anyone until the next morning--all this leads me to believe he didn't know about it until the next morning.

Again, though, I believe he was responsible for the woman's death, that the "inquiry" was a travesty, that he lied in virtually everything he said about it, and that he should have gone to jail.

andyfox
07-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Yes, he lied about driving the car off the bridge. He was with an unmarried woman. His story about being tired and wanting to go home, so not using his driver, is obviously BS. It was a tryst. A cop spotted them and he left the car. When he found out she didn't return, he and his two flunkies went to look for her.

He was going to drive her home. What could he say about why she didn't make it home?

Whether he was in the car or not, I agree with Mr. Killen's assessment.

andyfox
07-29-2005, 12:57 AM
From the site you referenced:

Detective Bernie Flynn: "I figure, we've got a drunk driver, Ted Kennedy. He's with this girl, and he has it in his mind to go down to the beach and make love to her. He's probably driving too fast and he misses the curve and goes into Cemetery Road. He's backing up when he sees this guy in uniform coming toward him. That's panic for the average driver who's been drinking; but here's a United States Senator about to get tagged for driving under. He doesn't want to get caught with a girl in his car, on a deserted road late at night, with no license and driving drunk on top of it. In his mind, the most important thing is to get away from the situation. He doesn't wait around."

Exactly what I think happened.

BCPVP
07-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Aren't we getting just a tad off topic here...?

ratso
12-20-2005, 11:11 PM
The funny thing is that she was right. It is sad butt true. Ed Kennedy is a doU_sh bag

PoBoy321
12-20-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally like the interview with Coulter where the guy asks her about the Iraq war and she mentions how the country of Canada is more or less traitors because they helped the US out in Vietnam, to which the interviewer says, "Actually, Ann, Canada did not support the U.S. in Vietnam".

Coulter's subsequent stumbling over words is priceless.

[/ QUOTE ]

She didn't stumble over words. She repeatedly and vehemently claimed that Canada was involved in Vietnam.

I don't mind right-wing political pundits who do little more than use rhetorical tricks to beat their opponents in debates, rather than make liegitimate arguments. Coulter, however, who uses blatant lies, gross overgeneralizations and calls for violence against liberals really sickens me.

ChipWrecked
12-21-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From the site you referenced:

Detective Bernie Flynn: "I figure, we've got a drunk driver, Ted Kennedy. He's with this girl, and he has it in his mind to go down to the beach and make love to her. He's probably driving too fast and he misses the curve and goes into Cemetery Road. He's backing up when he sees this guy in uniform coming toward him. That's panic for the average driver who's been drinking; but here's a United States Senator about to get tagged for driving under. He doesn't want to get caught with a girl in his car, on a deserted road late at night, with no license and driving drunk on top of it. In his mind, the most important thing is to get away from the situation. He doesn't wait around."

Exactly what I think happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

So on a deserted road late at night with a cop coming, he bails out of the car and takes off on foot? And the cop doesn't see or follow up on this? Just want to be clear here.

lastchance
12-21-2005, 04:42 AM
I am stupider for reading this thread.

andyfox
12-21-2005, 01:44 PM
I imagine Kennedy and the woman saw the cop car, but maybe the cop car didn't see them. Or the cop knew the spot might be a "lover's lane" type of spot and when he sees the car pull away he just laughs it off.

The interesting thing, to me, is if indeed my scenario is correct, Kennedy's decision to lie about it. What were his choices? He could have told the truth (again, assuming my scenario is the truth): he was making out with the woman, sees a cop, wants to avoid the scandal, and bails out, telling her to drive the car home. But this would be an admission of adultery or something close to it. So, instead, by telling the lie, he can make it seem he was just innocently driving her home and there was this terrible accident, and he just made a horrible mistake waiting until the morning to report it.

I suppose we'll never know the truth, unless one of his confidants (and I'm not sure they're still alive) reveals it, perhaps if he outlives Senator Kennedy and he himself even knows the truth.