PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat of a basic question

Bigdaddydvo
07-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Stars Turbo Sat to 700K guaranteed. I've been really card dead, had no steal opportunities, and am blinded down to T4500 (avg stack is around 12K). Blinds 1K/2K with 100 ante. I post my BB and pick up an awful 42o. The CO with like 12K moves in, and the SB calls all in for about 6K. I am certain to be WAY behind here. With half my chips in against 1 player, I call with any 2 and pray my cards are live. Against 2 here? 2500 to call to win a 14K or so pot. Also there are 40 left, top 17 get seats.

I can't tell if my PF equity is high enough to call here even though I'm pot committed. I hate calling and I hate folding. Which is slightly better?

Shorty35
07-27-2005, 10:55 PM
I think you should avoid that situation by pushing any two UTG with less than 3X the BB; you're more likely to end up HU.

Given where you are, it must be a call, but im too tired to do the math right now. I say "must" because in a Turbo I would assign a pretty wide range to both CO and SB.

Bigdaddydvo
07-27-2005, 11:08 PM
I think my final UTG hand was like 92o...figured the random hand I'd get in the BB next would be better (hardly). The last orbit I was looking for ANYTHING, an ace, a pair, a couple of semi suited or connected cards and kept coming up empty.

I'm just looking to find the mathematically superior choice of two terrible options.

Shorty35
07-27-2005, 11:13 PM
How many chips did SB have?

I assigned CO a range of any two broadway, any pair, any king and any ace.

I assigned SB a range of any two broadway and any pair 66+

against this range you still have 21.5% equity - so I figure that against almost any reasonable range (in a Turbo) this is a call.

CardSharpCook
07-27-2005, 11:29 PM
it is actually very close. I used two huge hand ranges for both players, and you get about 16% eq. you are getting about 5.5:1 on your money meaning you need 15.4% eq to call. However, if you tighten up the ranges....

However, when you add in the fact that you will be posting another 1100 next hand, I think you should call.

CSC

Shorty35
07-28-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it is actually very close. I used two huge hand ranges for both players, and you get about 16% eq. you are getting about 5.5:1 on your money meaning you need 15.4% eq to call. However, if you tighten up the ranges....

However, when you add in the fact that you will be posting another 1100 next hand, I think you should call.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably CSC's wider range includes some hands that overlap with your straight potential (which mine did not), and that accouts for the difference in our numbers.