PDA

View Full Version : Golf or No Golf?

phil_ivey_fan
07-27-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm sure a lot of you out there don't play golf. I barely even know half the rules. I played once when I was 17 w/ my dad on father's day. He loves the game. I don't. I here that its important for social networking and business bullshit blah blah blah.

RacersEdge
07-27-2005, 07:58 PM
If you take lessons and can practice on a regular basis - and have a decent amount of hand-eyecoordination, you can get very good at golf in a couple years.

Soul Daddy
07-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Are you in a position where business networking is an important part of your life? If so, I suppose lessons could be beneficial. If not, there's no reason to waste time and money on something you don't enjoy. Go to the driving range or get out and play a few times to see if you like it more than you think you do. Then make a decision.

kerssens
07-27-2005, 08:07 PM
I did learn in my teens.

07-27-2005, 08:15 PM
You won't get good at golf if you don't enjoy it. It's just too hard. Don't waste your time. That said, make sure you really don't like it. If you've given it a honest go and you don't like it, forget it.

kerssens
07-27-2005, 08:16 PM
there are very few things that would make me choose no golf over golf...very few things.

handsome
07-27-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You won't get good at golf if you don't enjoy it. It's just too hard. Don't waste your time. That said, make sure you really don't like it. If you've given it a honest go and you don't like it, forget it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. This is exactly what I did and decided it wasn't for me.

Ponks
07-27-2005, 08:25 PM
I suck at golf and don't really like it that much, however if some friends want to go I still will and I'll still have fun. I think not being results oriented makes it socially still fun for me.

Ponks

dawade
07-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Weird. I was reading GOLF magazine in the barber shop the other day and it occured to me that I have a perfectly good set of clubs (hand me downs from my grandpa who was left handed golfer like myself), so why do I never play golf?

I read the magazine more and more and it made me want to play/learn to play more and more. My friends play all the time at our local country club but I'm not a member and I hate jumping through hoops just to play a round of 9 holes (the course is only 9).

Anywho, I'm heading up to Murfreesboro for college in a few weeks and my friend says they have some nice courses up there, so I'm considering playing a bit. Who knows, maybe I can actually be decent with a wee bit of practice.

Brainwalter
07-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Is it worth it now that you're 24, wtf? You sound like you're an old man or something. Golf is for older folks anyway. Of course it's not too late.

Brain
07-27-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who knows, maybe I can actually be decent with a wee bit of practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only been playing for a year and this summer (total~=12 times) and I've become immensely better just by picking up a few issues of GOLF magazine. Just broke 100 (95!) on Monday, shattering my old best by 10 strokes.

Very possible. Go for it!

And go Jets!

eric5148
07-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Yes, you should learn. The second question is irrelevant for me because I learned when I was 9.

jakethebake
07-27-2005, 10:08 PM
just make sure you don't get a tetanus shot first.

bd8802
07-27-2005, 10:27 PM
I voted no ... if you do not enjoy the game then taking lessons would be a waste of money. I, on the other hand, love the game.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-27-2005, 10:36 PM
I tried playing regularly for a little while and I [censored] wanted to [censored] kill myself. I hate golf.

EDIT: I also failed my college golf class cause I [censored] hated going more than anything. For whatever it's worth.