PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Use This Crossover Cable?

sthief09
07-27-2005, 06:58 PM
I looked on google but didn't find anything helpful.

I accidentally bought a crossover cable instead of a regular network cable one day at staples because I was in a rush and they were closing. when I realized what it was for I decided to keep it and use it. but I can't figure out how the damn thing works. I was hoping I could hook it up to both computers and send files but I guess not. that would've been cool.

TheTROLL
07-27-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I looked on google but didn't find anything helpful.

I accidentally bought a crossover cable instead of a regular network cable one day at staples because I was in a rush and they were closing. when I realized what it was for I decided to keep it and use it. but I can't figure out how the damn thing works. I was hoping I could hook it up to both computers and send files but I guess not. that would've been cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's exactly what it's for - connecting two PCs without a hub/switch between them, directly one to the other. You still need to set up IP addresses/Workgroup names etc, depending on what type of connection you're trying to create - do you just want to share files between the two PCs?

sthief09
07-27-2005, 07:33 PM
yes, that's what I'm trying to do. I just set up a network like I do with a router and can share files?

JoePro
07-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Yup, that's right.

Chief911
07-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Google is your friend.

Crossover Cable Discussion (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_20960308.html)