PDA

View Full Version : Sports betting books

SwampyJ
07-27-2005, 06:26 PM
With the football season just about a month away, I am looking into doing some sports betting with some of my poker profit. However, I am new to this form of gambling. Does anyone have a recomendation of a book I could read to gain some knowledge on the subject.

Thank you,

SwampyJ

MasterShakes
07-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Stanford Wong's Sharp Sports Betting seems to be the way to go.

Also, I think Phil Steele (a football only handicapper) wrote a short book on football handicapping. If you can't find it on Amazon, you could probably find it at www.ncsports.com. (http://www.ncsports.com.) (This is NOT spam. I have no affiliation with them.)

Phishy McFish
07-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Shouldn't you be creating a Sports Handicapping 1001 guide for someone to rip off and post on a different forum??

SwampyJ
07-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I will look aorund for Mr. Wong's book.

MasterShakes
07-30-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't you be creating a Sports Handicapping 1001 guide for someone to rip off and post on a different forum??

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I wouldn't mind it if somebody ripped THAT off. That's not taking money from me. Honestly though, I probably shouldn't have made the post I did in the first place. It was obviously sensitive information and if I had a brain, I would have kept it all to myself and amassed a gnome army, the likes of which this world hasn't seen (that is... if I know what you're referring to... if not, disregard all this).

That said, there do seem to be questions floating around here from time to time about how to or whether to pick a sports handicapper. I might write a guide with everything I know about it (which, I'm ashamed to say, is a lot).

07-31-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I wouldn't mind it if somebody ripped THAT off. That's not taking money from me. Honestly though, I probably shouldn't have made the post I did in the first place. It was obviously sensitive information and if I had a brain, I would have kept it all to myself and amassed a gnome army, the likes of which this world hasn't seen (that is... if I know what you're referring to... if not, disregard all this).

That said, there do seem to be questions floating around here from time to time about how to or whether to pick a sports handicapper. I might write a guide with everything I know about it (which, I'm ashamed to say, is a lot).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in reading it.

Right now I'm having a hard time finding anybody who wasn't 8-0 last week. I'd like to learn this racket but I'm smart enough to know if somebody had the ability to pick at that level they wouldn't need to sell it.

Secondly, the cost of the "real" services is so high it's out of my price range.

How do you find the real handicappers?
How much do you have to bet to make it worth your while?
How does one learn to do it themselves?

giddyyup
08-03-2005, 08:01 PM
hating looking like a shill, but, if it helps, found wong's book at bj21.com (since i've had some thoughts, like you, of "looking into doing some sports betting") while looking for king yao's poker book there (upon a 2+2's suggestion).