PDA

View Full Version : Folding second Nutz

07-27-2005, 06:17 PM
This hand came up during a $2 $4 no limit holden game id been playing for about three hours and well up in front of me i had over 1k i look down and pick up pocket nines,just double the blind and get four callers.
Flops comes out 2-J-9 rainbow short stack in first position goes all in for 20 bucks i flat call next guy reraises 20 more and the guy on the button call the 40 now back to me 20 more i decide to take it down now and reraise another 100 the original raiser folds and guy on button all in for 800 dollars.Very confused with all the action thinking someone else must have had a Jack but then knowing the guy was pretty tight i fold.I see his cards anyway as the first guy was all in he had A-2 and just as i thought trip Jacks.Last card i would have hit quads,gutted i was.

EStreet20
07-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Bad laydown. You're too risk adverse (aka "no balls"). If you spend all this time talking yourself into thinking that your opponents always have top set when they go all-in you'll have some trouble winning big pots. It never occured to you that he had an overpair and was drawing nearly dead?????

Good luck,
Matt

bottomset
07-28-2005, 08:09 AM
wow that post was tough to interpret

and you are a pansy that should go play a different game

sekrah
07-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Gutsy laydown, I know I could never do it.. I had the nearly identical situation in a 1-2 NL game in AC a few weeks ago.

Pocket 9s, K-9-7 flop. Guy #1 bets $10, Guy #2 Calls $10, I raise to $40. Guy #1 Calls. Guy #2 raises to $80 ??

I put Guy #1 on a Flush draw, Guy #2 I have no idea.. Maybe aces maybe A-K.. He was a pretty weak player, he could have had K-Q, K-9, etc.. He called down a big bet earlier with 2nd pair weak kicker. He wasn't that good.

Anyway, I push all in.. Guy #1 agonizes and folds, Guy #2 Calls. K-K.

CORed
07-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm not a very good no-limit player, but I would have gone all-in (or put the re-raiser all in if I had him covered) instead of reraising 100.

nuclear500
07-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Bad laydown. Bad preflop raise as well in a no limit game, might as well be playing limit. When you get that many callers to your raise, you know its a badly sized raise. So when the flop brings your set, you push. If he's got top set, he's got top set.

In my opinion.

07-28-2005, 03:28 PM
tough play, i'm surprised to see that laydown. putting someone on a set is extremely difficult, to do, especially if you've got one. I'd say your read was good, if you really had a read on the guy, and weren't just overly cautious, but Harrington says that if you've got a set, and lose to a higher set, you're supposed to pay it off, and that you can't really put someone on that hand. The odds against it are just too great. although it's happened to me, a couple times now...

07-28-2005, 09:34 PM
I dont think it was played weak like some say he was an extremely tight player id been at the table with him for most the session.I had him on top trips my instinct proved right.

ChuckyB
07-29-2005, 03:26 PM
That's a great laydown!

Seriously...despite the fact you would've won.
The villain cold-calls $40 on the flop, then when you show that you have a super-strong hand, he comes over the top.

He bets $800 into a $240 pot (I believe that number's right)...and you're supposed to believe he has top pair, and not the nuts? Horseshit!

That's a great fold...never regret it.

AceHiStation
07-29-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think it was played weak like some say he was an extremely tight player id been at the table with him for most the session.I had him on top trips my instinct proved right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forums... Someone get this man a cookie. Nice laydown, but you might as well change the subject to "Verify that I'm awesome."

WhiteWolf
07-29-2005, 04:00 PM
You were the one playing with him, so only you know if your read was reliable. You have to be 100% honest with yourself, though. Is the nuts the only hand he is going to play this way? Would he call your minraise w/22 PF, then push here? Would he call a minraise w/J9 PF, then push here? Has he ever gotten aggressive with a draw? Has he seen you get super-aggresive, then fold to a big push before? You should be fairly certain none of those apply before folding here.

MagicMan08
07-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Yea you suck at life, poker, and the internet. Leave now.