PDA

View Full Version : Vehn_ turns semi pro

Vehn
03-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Welp ~9 months ago I sat down at a $6/$12 table at canterbury park with 15 ATM-riffic $20 bills. I had been playing/reading/studying poker for about 6 months at that point and had success at LL paradise but never did well at B&M. I won, and never had to get any more cash to play poker again.

Tonight I hit the bankroll goal I set for myself a long time ago and for the first time I "withdrew" money from my bankroll. I'm still saving half of what I win for the "2nd bankroll" that I'll play higher out of, but the other half goes in the pocket. So anyways thought I'd say thanks to a few people.

All (most) of the posters on the small stakes forum, and all the people who respond to my sometimes stupid hands.

Greg, Lisa, and Dave at Canterbury for bumming me smokes.

My friend Bruce for getting me interested in this thing.

My girlfriend Keri for putting up with this nonsense for so long.

2+2 for putting out some good books and hosting these forums for free.

But mostly I'd like to thank the countless old men who can't play a lick, countless fishy asians, and countless kids who just saw Rounders. Couldn't have done it without you.

p.s. I take the term bankroll literally. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/vehn23/newpix002.jpg

glen
03-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Vehn,

Congrats on your success. It's satisfying to realize Sklansky's statement that one can beat a typical 10-20 game in a short period of time when you study hard. Just don't ever factor in the time you spend on this forum in your win rate and you shouldn't get depressed any time soon, lol.

p.s. what's the pink thing next to your bankroll, and what do you use it for? Wait. . .don't answer that. . .

Andy B
03-05-2003, 10:03 AM
I was going to congratulate Chris and ask him the same thing.

Time to invest in a quality rubber band, kid.

Bob T.
03-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Naw, borrow one, there have to be some quality rubber bands around canterbury that aren't being used anymore.

PokerBabe(aka)
03-05-2003, 10:23 AM
"what's the pink thing next to your bankroll" /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Looks like a cat brush to me (that the cat attacked). Thanks for the visual. Remember Babe's motto at all times: LGPG /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

vehns_woman
03-05-2003, 10:50 AM
It is indeed a cat brush.
For the cat that was supposed to be paid for with poker winnings. *cough cough* Congratulations sweetie - just remember you still owe me another $500 for the cat. Just in case anyone is curious, the cat's name is Little Slick, which I allowed BECAUSE he was supposed to be paid for with poker money /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Vehn
03-05-2003, 11:18 AM
zzzzz /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

We got the cat in June..

At least she picked the right user name?

And no, don't ask about $700 cats..

whiskeytown
03-05-2003, 02:34 PM
I can see the old west poker table now....

" I bet 500"

" I'll see your 500 and reraise you the deed to my property"

"I'll see that raise and raise you another $300 and this $700 cat"

hilarity ensues... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

glen
03-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Vehn,

Since Little Slick is a cat bought with poker money, when he passes away will you mourn, or will you just consider it a bad beat?

Vehn
03-05-2003, 03:41 PM
The $700 was the bad beat..

mikelow
03-05-2003, 04:16 PM
no need to show off!

Easy E
03-05-2003, 04:18 PM
... or question the quality of your decision-making, which could have a much GREATER impact on your semi-pro success...
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Or did you lose a bet with the little woman?

Bob T.
03-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Was this a $700 free cat? Talk about reverse implied odds.

scalf
03-05-2003, 07:40 PM
/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif vehn...use that second br for clothes, a good haircut, manicure..it'll pay huge dividends...gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Vehn
03-05-2003, 09:41 PM
$700 cat:

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/vehn23/ct.jpg

I wouldn't say "lost a bet" really describes it but whatever /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

jasonHoldEm
03-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi vehn,

You don't know me, cause I'm a "stranger" here (don't intend to be for long). Just wanted to say congrats and DAMN that's a lot of money.

jHE

Andy B
03-05-2003, 10:57 PM
As a matter of fact, they have box of them at the cage.

I'm currently temping in a medical office where they have some very large rubber bands indeed. My new goal is to fill one of them. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Andy B
03-05-2003, 11:09 PM
You heard the one about the kid with the $700 cat?

He traded it for two $350 dogs.

PokerBabe(aka)
03-05-2003, 11:22 PM
"I'll see that raise and raise you another $300 and this $700 cat". /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Now THAT IS FUNNY.!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Clarkmeister
03-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Is that "Orca" I see in the background? Steven Brust rules.

Vehn
03-05-2003, 11:50 PM
ugh yes.. Keri is a fantasy fiend. Ironically I guess he's a poker player too and lived in MN. Here:

http://www.jointhesaga.com/otherviews/brust.jpg

I kinda uhm play with those yellow chips every day. I think he actually got a table share of a jackpot here. Nice Tshirt.

TimTimSalabim
03-06-2003, 01:31 AM
Now that's a poker face!

Imagine having those eyes staring at you from across the table!

Andy B
03-06-2003, 02:10 AM
Board name "Pirate." Used to play at Canterbury quite a bit and then moved someplace. Came back for a visit once. I never played with him. It took me a while to graduate to those yellow chips.

Bob T.
03-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Moved to Las Vegas, I played with him at the Horseshoe last time I was there.

vehns_woman
03-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Yes, Steven Brust does rule. Have you ever heard his music? A friend had both Cats Laughing albums, pretty cool music if you have eclectic tastes. I'm in the process of buying all of his books to reread (I borrowed them from a friend the first time through). I just finished Issola the other night, Orca is about 1/3 gone already - I hadn't started it yet when that pic was taken last night. My favorites though are Jhereg and Dragon. I asked Chris if he had ever seen him at CP, apparently not (I didn't realize he had moved when I asked), but hopefully we will run into him in Vegas so that Chris can win back all the money I am spending on his books!

Casey
03-06-2003, 07:50 PM
What kind of cat costs that much. You can get them for free at the humane society.

Casey
03-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Congats, and thanks to the picture I finally know who you are. I have seen you writing in the little red book. As long as you stay at 8-16, I plan on moving up to 6-12. Can you tell me what BobT looks like, need to stay away from him too. Andy posts his picture and I am never playing stud8 so I don't have to worry about him. I will say hello next time I see you.

Vehn
03-07-2003, 12:29 AM
He is a Bengal, which is a hybrid of a normal cat and something really pouncy.

Bob T.
03-07-2003, 05:10 AM
Bob T, is a middle aged off-white (half asian, half caucasian) guy with a mustache. His little notebook when he brings it with is blue. Sometime he wears a green 'Moonlite Bay Camp' Baseball cap, but he just bought an 'I'm running good' cap from Tommy Angelo, which he might wear sometimes.

I usually play after two am, and also I sometimes play on sunday and monday afternoon evening. Stop and say hi.

pokerMAM
03-07-2003, 08:36 AM
I have three cats that look very much like yours. (you know, kind of catlike) All of them were starving strays on the Navajo Reservation. Now that I know what they are worth, WSOP here I come with $2100!! Naw, I couldn't part with them. Maybe I'll just pawn them.
Congrats on your success.
maggie

Casey
03-07-2003, 10:51 AM
I am usualy not there at those times. I mostly play Friday and Saturday nights and some Sunday mornings. The 4-8 games on Friday and Saturday's have been so good I have been putting off trying the 6-12 again. The couple of times I have played the 6-12, I have been kicked around. It has got to be the tightest game in the house. I will look for you.

Bob T.
03-07-2003, 03:18 PM
The couple of times I have played the 6-12, I have been kicked around. It has got to be the tightest game in the house.

Casey, you have to just be getting some bad luck, and playing at the wrong time. Occassionally, I have played in tight 6-12 games at CP, but usually, they are fairly loose. Sometimes it seems that they are as many as 6 players seeing the flop, so it plays like true low limit.

One good higher limit player that I sometimes talk with, told me that he thinks the 6-12 is the best game in the house, when you combine the players who many times are playing low limit poker, with the 5% rake.

**MR.MANHATTAN**
03-07-2003, 03:55 PM
VEHN............PAY THE LADY FOR THE CAT.....FOR IF NOT ONLY BAD FLOPS WILL FOLLOW....LOL U GOT THE CASH....I SAW IT.....HAHAHAHAHA.....SO DID SHE......BIG MOUTH....LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Clarkmeister
03-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Ive read all his books and love his work. The Taltos series got a little bogged down somewhere around Teckla if I remember correctly, but seems to be back on track. I do have some misgivings about Vlad owning a Great Weapon however. It was cool that he was sort of a cut below the Sethra's and Morrolan's of the world but able to use his cunning to stay alive. I don't want to complain, however, because I do want as much Vlad as Brust will give us, especially since there are several questions still unanswered. I do hope to see all 17(?) books get written at some point. I long ago stopped buying new fantasy/scifi books but Brust is one of two authors who I stuck with and still purchase (Stephen R. Donaldson being the other).

I'll have to re-read Phoenix Guards and Viscount to get up to speed for the concluding book(s) in the series. Very Brust-like to have the concluding book of a trilogy be a trilogy itself.

Casey
03-07-2003, 04:11 PM
I am going to give it another shot this weekend. If I don't like it's back to 4-8 which I always like. There is always some goofball calling every bet and raise and never betting the nuts themselves.

Matt Heuton
03-11-2003, 09:44 AM
i just have to ask when ur gonna swim into the 15/30 at canterbury, i hear there's this young punk named matt that plays in that game all the time that could use a couple of bad beats put on him.

Vehn
03-12-2003, 12:49 AM
meh I'll give it another shot in a month or two if I continue running good, this time I'll see if I can not lose with kings 3x in the first hour.

Bob T.
03-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Chris, I've watched that game, and I think you should take another shot.