PDA

View Full Version : Suited connectors after 2-3 limpers

TwoNiner
07-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I usually like to raise in this position for added deception and free card purposes but I've seen some people say they like to limp and take a cheap flop. Any strong opinions one way or another?

obsidian
07-27-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't think your equity is large enough here to justify a raise, even if you have position. I guess it improves your odds at chasing draws and might buy a free card but I still don't do it. Might be something to try out.

MAxx
07-27-2005, 04:47 PM
i dont see a lot of value in raising for equity or freebie or the combination of the two.

TwoNiner
07-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I've got a low pfr% (12%) so I hold some fantasy of gaining respect on ace high flops and taking it down 3 handed and adding variety to my play. I might keep doing it, and once I get enough hands together I'll you how much it's costing me so we will have an answer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sammy_g
07-27-2005, 05:06 PM
I call here, but a better player like Nate tha' Great would probably say raise.

TwoNiner
07-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Yeah, that one raiser on the poll is me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Working through poker stove assigning reasonable limping standards and bb calling standards I'm getting from 20% equity 5 way to as bad as 19-20% equity 4 way if I assign say j-10 suited to somebody. I'll tinker around some more with it, but at a passive table I think I might be able to gain the equity back, I dunno.

ghostface
07-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Why struggle to make money raising these hands unless you are 100% confident in you postflop skills? It seems odd to raise when you KNOW that you dont have a significant pot equity edge. It's not like you are gonna get any kind of image attached to you if a few fish watch you show down 98s. They will probably forget that you raised by the time the river falls.

MyssGuy
07-27-2005, 05:17 PM
I'd call, but with J10s, I'd raise it up...thoughts?

sammy_g
07-27-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why struggle to make money raising these hands unless you are 100% confident in you postflop skills?

[/ QUOTE ]
In fairness, this hand is pretty easy to play postflop.

From a pot equity perspective, the raise is probably slightly -EV. The idea is that when you flop a straight you'll have a bunch of people drawing dead, but chasing to the river since the pot is bloated.

MAxx
07-27-2005, 05:29 PM
If you have a low pfr, such as 12%, I think you are missing some more profitable preflop raises that you should add before considering makeing a raise like this.

TwoNiner
07-27-2005, 05:37 PM
If the equity isn't there I would probably be better off folding I guess. But if raising actually helps the play of my hand and raises the equity, maybe that's the better way to go. I'm just giving some arguments here, im not arguing it makes it right..

1-More so in the case of two maybe 3 callers, but I can take down a pot when an ace falls a decent amount of the time. In a more general sense, I can represent bigger preflop raising hands later in the hand. That should raise the playing value of my 89s.

2-I should be able to make more when I hit two pair, a str8 or flush b/c of deception and b/c people are tied onto a pot. That should raise the equity a little.

3-I will get a free card a decent amount of time on the flop and get a profitable str8 or flush draw on turn. I'll also bet a draw on flop and get to check it on turn sometimes That should raise the value of my hand some also.

So basically, I guess the argument would go that the hand could get playing advantages that push it into being profitable where it might not be profitable had I called. I'm in no way sold on this argument and reserve the right to fall back on Shania argumentation, or change my play entirely for my night session. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree that there are a lot of preflop raises I'm missing, but I don't think I'll go about adding them in order. This seems like actually a more playable raise than A5s UTG to me or similar ones I should add, but I'm a position whore who does best in multiway pots rather than HU.

aslowjoe
07-28-2005, 01:50 AM
JTs I definetly raise T9s 50/50.I am not sure after how many limpers was required but Ed Miller suggest raising T9s in a full ring game on the button.