PDA

View Full Version : Engineering: bluetooth connection instead of USB cable. Possible?

Frequitude
07-27-2005, 04:05 PM
What's up people, I've got a question for the engineers (or anyone else who might know) out there.

My buddy is on his university's Formula race car design team. They've purchased a Mychron datalogging and display system for the car from AIM. That's not really important, but what is is that to download the car's data to a PC, you need to use a USB cable.

However, he was wondering if that USB connection could be replaced with something wireless and suggested bluetooth, with which I am not to familiar with the technical details.

So basically I need a USB driven wireless link. The only way I can currently conceive of doing this would involve an embedded microcontroller solution, but that might be overkill.

Any ideas?

MtnDave
07-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Yes, you can use bluetooth (with XP at least, not sure about Linux), but the range is about 5-10 ft max.

SL__72
07-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes you could use bluetooth and also, it works with linux.

/edit It should work from 10+ feet. I always thought it was supposed to work up to 30 feet?

Frequitude
07-27-2005, 04:41 PM
cool, so are there just simple USB connected bluetooth modules available. And would they be stand alone, since they can draw power over the USB?

07-27-2005, 09:51 PM
You can get USB bluetooth dongles. I have an Apple one.