PDA

View Full Version : Open limping

aslowjoe
07-27-2005, 03:21 PM
So right from the begining I have been taught by 2+2 to never open limp and the last 100,000 hands I have never(except in the sb).
With the risk of suggesting the Emperor has no clothes do you ever open limp. Is open limping ever exceptable?
Your UTG on a loose and non aggresive table you hold low to middle pair how bad would it be limp.
With no raises you will probably going to get at least 4-1 plus implied odds. On a table like that even if MP raise you are likely to get 1 other caller so you will be a little short. But more then likely you will recieve your odds to play for the set on the flop and will likely be payed off big. What about mid suited connectors?

I actually did open limp yesterday 5/10 from MP. CO and Bttn were both 50+ VPIP and pasive and went too SD to often. BB was the same. Not that it mattered but I ended up flopping 2 pr and losing to the BB's 1 card str8. I wonder if he would fold K7o to my pre flop raise?

IGMorton
07-27-2005, 05:58 PM
at my level: 2/4 and 3/6 6-max, 4 players typically see the flop. if they are the loose-passive variety i'm open limping with 55-77 and QJs, JTs, QTS to encourage them to come along. On a tighter table i fold em all UTG but open-raise from MP.

cmwck
07-27-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at my level: 2/4 and 3/6 6-max, 4 players typically see the flop. if they are the loose-passive variety i'm open limping with 55-77 and QJs, JTs, QTS to encourage them to come along. On a tighter table i fold em all UTG but open-raise from MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, open limping with those hands at the 1/2 games can't be all that bad. I'll fold all those hands at a tight table though, but sometimes raise with QJS UTG.

aslowjoe
07-28-2005, 01:53 AM
I would like to hear a few other opinions

wadea
07-28-2005, 02:34 AM
My experience (1/2 and 2/4) has been that it is a good investment to err on the side of LAGginess. The bets lost to occasional -EV plays is repaid many times over when you hit a flop or back into a hand. People really hate to feel like they're getting run over and as a result they can't NOT call your bets. It may be cliche, but I say that, with some exceptions, if you really have to think about what your best play is, your best play is probably to bet or raise.

Oh, and bet the river,
-w.a.

private joker
07-28-2005, 02:44 AM
Open limping with AA and KK on an aggro table with the intention of limp-reraising is perfectly acceptable.

wackjob
07-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Like you, I almost NEVER limp a hand unless its SB, and then only rarely. From time to time I will limp a hand like 910 suited UTG, maybe pocket 4's. Occassionally I will imp QJs, but typically this is an open raiser even UTG.

For the most part.. if its worth a call, its worth a raise plays. I also find that the few times I do limp in.. I regret it(that BB I let see a free flop caught 2 pair on the flop with 38o. I also occasionally limp with A2-A6s in late position with 1 limper in front of me.

I find that at the typical PP 5/10 6-max table with the fact that I raise almost any pot I play, I get increased action. I get tight players loosening up against me, and I get the supa_fish playing every blind hand and any 2 suited against me.

Jeff W
07-28-2005, 03:01 AM
Open limping is sometimes correct. Limp-reraising in aggressive games and limping small pocket pairs in loose/passive games are two good applications.

I prefer not to limp hands like KTs-K9s, QJs-QTs and JTs. First, by raising these hands pre flop you can often take down the pot when an Ace flops. Second, you get more action when you improve on the flop or turn.

Guy McSucker
07-28-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Limp-reraising in aggressive games

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but if the game is really aggressive, you're better off raising and capping the 3-bet. Ulysses taught me this before he turned into that devil creature.

Guy.

RunDownHouse
07-28-2005, 09:01 AM
There's no way I'm open-limping or folding QJs and 77 from any position.

IGMorton
07-28-2005, 09:09 AM
What do you think of KTs? They have an identical chance of flopping top pair and not being dominated. KT makes a better flush and can make in 2 straights whereas QJs can make 3 straights.

According to Pokerstove simultations... KTs has more HU srength that QJs. Yest for some reason people go nuts over QJ. Methinks the hand is deceptive because of the paint cards.

RunDownHouse
07-28-2005, 09:45 AM
I usually raise KTs as well. I'll dump both KTo and QJo more frequently than the suiteds, and I'll tend to dump KTs a little more often than QJs.

Obviously saying these hands are 100% auto raises is hyperbole, but they are way, way closer to raises than folds or limps.