PDA

View Full Version : Super Tuesday hand

DarrenX
07-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Comments on my line appreciated:

Blinds 25/50, avg stack 1400, I have 2600, villian in BB has 3200. Just moved to the table, so no reads.

UTG+1 I limp w/87s, sb completes, BB checks.

Flop is 568r- sb checks, BB bets 125 into 150 pot.

I call, sb folds.

T on the turn to complete the rainbow. BB bets 275 into 400 pot. I call. River is another 5. Villian bets 1000 into 950 pot. I go to the tank taking the full time and call.

blockafor
07-27-2005, 03:29 PM
I think you're good better than 1 in 3 here so I'd make the call. Villain played that hand a lot like a draw that missed.

IHateKeithSmart
07-27-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're good better than 1 in 3 here so I'd make the call. Villain played that hand a lot like a draw that missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't it also be a flopped 2 pair? His betting pattern seems as if he's trying to push hero off a draw.

durron597
07-27-2005, 03:37 PM
I raise the flop to try to win a free turn.

blockafor
07-27-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't it also be a flopped 2 pair? His betting pattern seems as if he's trying to push hero off a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I think villain has a wide range here.

blockafor
07-27-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this too. A raise to 375 on the flop is a good play.

DarrenX
07-27-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought about it, but didn't want a reraise that would make me hurl my McDonald's #1 with 5 extra chicken nuggets all over the keyboard. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif But I've said too much...

ThrillFactor
07-27-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thought about it, but didn't want a reraise that would make me hurl my McDonald's #1 with 5 extra chicken nuggets all over the keyboard. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif But I've said too much...

[/ QUOTE ]

So how was your supper holding up after you called off t1275 for nothing?

junkmail3
07-27-2005, 03:55 PM
A reraise would let you out of the hand pretty easily though. And he may try to check raise you on the turn if he has a real monstor, by which point you can take a free card and try to hit your straight on the river.

On top of that, the raise opens up more options on the river if he checks to you again, or bets out 1000.

Raising would have givin you a lot more information for fewer chips, along with so many more possibilites of slowing him down and getting to the river cheaply.

If he reraises, it should be big, and you can let go, knowing he has a big overpiar/straigt/trips/two pair. I'd let my gutshot/one pair go to that range.

Edit: Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to MTT, I'm still learning.

blockafor
07-27-2005, 03:58 PM
You're gonna have to post the results to this one at some point. My prediction is that he had a 5 in his hand, you were ahead until the river, and you won't be going back to McDonalds for awhile.

DarrenX
07-27-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're gonna have to post the results to this one at some point. My prediction is that he had a 5 in his hand, you were ahead until the river, and you won't be going back to McDonalds for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had 85o for a flopped 2-pair rivered full. I figured quite incorrectly he was trying to buy the pot with a missed draw, and had also put me on a missed draw with my calls.

I agree that if I had raised the flop a reraise would get me off the hand sooner than later, but do I want that? Then again, the way I played it, I really didn't get any information.

Luckily, my McDonald's didn't make a repeat appearance, but it was close. Do you see why?

DarrenX
07-27-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he reraises, it should be big, and you can let go, knowing he has a big overpiar/straigt/trips/two pair. I'd let my gutshot/one pair go to that range.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a gutshot and top pair I would lean towards a raise on the flop. With what I had (OESD and Tp) I still lean towards a call.

DemonDeac
07-27-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

z32fanatic
07-27-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

locutus2002
07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't like the position that hero is in.

You dropped T1400 chips into a pot without having any idea where you were at. I'm not sure its possible to make a good call or laydown at the river.

I might raise the flop to T325, if he has a hand he won't want to give any free draws on this board.

z32fanatic
07-27-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a gutshot and top pair I would lean towards a raise on the flop. With what I had (OESD and Tp) I still lean towards a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand that. Are you suggesting that a gutshot and top pair is weak so you would want to raise and maybe take it down right there? TP + OESD is a good hand, but is still very vulnerable. In this case he obviously wouldn't have folded to a raise, but someone might fold an 8 with a better kicker. Also, he may be on the draw as well so why not charge him for it. I would like to hear why you would raise with a gutshot but call with an OESD.

cferejohn
07-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't like the limp. However, it worked out for you here, as you get to play it with position. If you knew the bettor was an aggressive player, I think the rope-a-dope is ok. The flop call is OK, since you have a draw and you don't want to be pushed off of it, but I wouldn't hate a raise either. I'd raise the turn to 600 or so to see if he is serious about it.

Other than the preflop limp, I think your line was reasonable, but a little weak.

DarrenX
07-27-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand that. Are you suggesting that a gutshot and top pair is weak so you would want to raise and maybe take it down right there? TP + OESD is a good hand, but is still very vulnerable. In this case he obviously wouldn't have folded to a raise, but someone might fold an 8 with a better kicker. Also, he may be on the draw as well so why not charge him for it. I would like to hear why you would raise with a gutshot but call with an OESD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay- This hand (W/OESD) I believe is similar to TPFAP's example about having TpTk w/a flush draw on the turn after you had bet initially and been called in two places. You should not bet the turn to open up the betting when you have a decent hand and good draw where you'd hurl if you got check-raised.

With an OESD, my draw is solid, and I have a hand that may be winning, with decent potential to be a very good hand. With a gut shot, I have 4 less outs, making the possibility of this hand becoming premium much less- so if reaised, I can more confidently muck because I'll know my current hand is beat and didn't squander big potential.

Anyone with me?

DarrenX
07-27-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Other than the preflop limp,

[/ QUOTE ]

I was WAITING for that one /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Deep stacks, baby! +50x the blind, 78s is soooo pretty. Did I mention it was /images/graemlins/heart.gifHEARTS /images/graemlins/heart.gif??