PDA

View Full Version : Small pairs are hard to play

Perseus
07-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero ...?

Assuming I bet and get a caller, the the turn comes K or A, what's my line?

Or is this just check and fold?

JrJordan
07-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I would check this flop and reevaluate when it comes back to me. If you get an aggressive UTG or MP to bet out, you can c/r and isolate against the potential bluffer. If there's a bet and call in front of you, then I'd be tempted to fold because effective odds are pretty far against you.

IGMorton
07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
with 3 loose opponents who will see the river... check/fold is all you can do. assuming one of them has not paired the top card already, collectively they hold 5-6 overcards. most of the time one of them will pair, make a wheel draw, or flush draw by the river.

Artsemis
07-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Small pocket pairs' advantage is the information you have after a flop. They will either be strong (flop a set or better) or be weak (unimproved). I would c/f the flop.

Perseus
07-27-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Small pocket pairs' advantage is the information you have after a flop. They will either be strong (flop a set or better) or be weak (unimproved). I would c/f the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great advice for full ring, but in 6 handed small pairs go way up in value even if there is one (or two) overcards on the flop. I think the best line here is to check and see who bets and play accordingly to that particular person (fold to a tight player or isolate a maniac)

NLSoldier
07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
I would bet this flop. If you check I think it will often check through the times you are ahead and someone will bet when you are behind. If you bet thers a decent chance you will take it down right there because no one has 2 overs, there are no draws and a good chance no one has a pair.

If you bet and are called in one spot I would just keep firing the whole way, especially if its BB that calls the flop bet.