PDA

View Full Version : Fun relatavisic frame of reference problem

fnord_too
07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
This is an oldie, but I don't know how many people have heard it.

The set up information is consistent with current theory, you can treat it as fact for the purposes of the question.

Set up:

All frames of reference are equally valid, and all frames of reference must observe the same physical events.

An observer in a frame of reference observing an object moving in relation to this frame of referene will see the object as being shorter along the axis of relative motion. This is called length contraction.

Any object can consider itself as an object at rest if it is not accelerating. (That is, there is a valid frame of reference that it is at rest in, its rest frame.)

The speed of light (photons) is constant to all frames of reference. (In the case about to be presented, the barn and tube would both see the photons traveling at exactly the same speed.)

The problem:

There is a hollow tube closed at both ends that has photons bouncing back and forth (axially) between the ends (in the tubes rest frame exactly 50% are always traveling in each direction), and a barn with doors on each end.

The tube is tube is traveling (relative to the barn) such that it will pass through the two doors perpendicularly.

From the barns perspective, taking the length contraction into account, the tube is barely too long to fit in the barn, such that if it shuts both its doors at once when the tubes center is at the center of the barn, it will chop off the end caps and release the photons. There are detectors outside the barn on each end. So the tube pass through the barn and the barn chops off both ends at exactly the same time and the detectors detect the photons that escape.

From the tubes perpesctive, though, the barn is contracted, so it does not fit almost exactly in the barn, but rather hangs out a bit. Since both frames need to agree on the events, the tube needs to see its ends just shaved off. It sees the far door cutting off the lead end then the back door cutting off the back end slightly later.

One might hypothesise that from the barn's perspective an equal number of photons exit from each end of the tube, but from the tube's perspective more exit from the front since that end was cut off before the back end. Both have to agree on what the detectors say, however, so who is correct and how is this apparent paradox resolved.

gumpzilla
07-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Interesting spin on the old barn-ladder business. I haven't thought about this deeply or rigorously, but as for my intuition as to how this is going to shake out, here goes (in white) : <font color="white"> in the barn's frame, it isn't going to be the case that we can expect equal numbers of photons to be coming out each side. Let's say the tube is moving to the right. Then it will take more time for the light to go from the left end of the tube to the right end of the tube than vice versa; even though light goes the same speed, the right end of the tube is running away from light moving to the right, whereas the left end of the tube is moving toward light moving to the left. Consequently, we'd expect at any given time for there to be more photons traveling to the right. This matches up with what we think should happen in the tube case.</font>

fnord_too
07-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Correct, that is one way of explaining it (and what I came up with when I heard it).

fnord_too
07-27-2005, 02:15 PM
This is actually the second half of the problem. The first half is who is right about when the ends are cut off, the barn or the tube. Are they cut off both at once or is one cut off then the other? That's a fun question, too.

ChromePony
07-27-2005, 03:01 PM
<font color="white"> Im not sure if this is worth putting in white but I guess I might as well. They are both right, in the sense that they aer describing how they percieve the events to transpire. The key difference is that they are in different reference frames and therefore time gets all messed up along with length. So in the barns reference frame the doors close at the same time, but in the reference frame of the ladder, the barn is moving and this causes the doors to close at different times, as experienced by the ladder. </font>

fnord_too
07-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Right. There is no simulataneity, which is pretty counter intuitive.

PairTheBoard
07-28-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Right. There is no simulataneity, which is pretty counter intuitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't non simultaneity pretty much explain the whole thing.
White
<font color="white">
The light detectors will record the event according to which frame of refrence they are at rest with. If they have synchronized clocks and are at rest with the Barn they will record the events as simultaneous. If they have synchronized clocks and are at rest with the tube they will record the front photons first and the rear ones slightly later. If both sets of detectors are at work, I don't want to try and figure out what the clocks are doing.
</font>
End White

PairTheBoard

PairTheBoard
07-28-2005, 02:57 AM
ok, wait. I think I'm seeing what you mean about the photons after reading gumpzilla's post. I'll have to think about this some more.

PairTheBoard

PairTheBoard
07-28-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm going to just leave this in black for ease of discussion. I agree with what gumpzilla says. In the Barn's frame of reference there will be more photons travelling back to front of the tube than front to back. Thus, the front detectors will catch more photons than the back detectors even though Front and Back are opened simultaneously. This agrees with the tube's perspective which sees equal photons moving front to back but sees the front getting opened before the back and thus expects the front detectors to be catching more photons than the back.

However, here's a problem I'm having. It would seem quite easy for the Tube to expect the front detector to catch ALL the photons before the Back gets opened. But to have that happen from the Barn's perspective it would require that ALL the photons be moving Forward when the Ends are simulaneously opened. But that can't always be the case. Even if it were the case at one point in time it wouldn't be the case for all points in time. As long as it takes for the Barn to see photons travel from back to front they eventually must get there and move from front to back at least briefly. So for the front detectors to catch all the photons it would require special timing from the Barn's perspective. Yet it seems like it could easily happen from the Tube's perspective and would require no special timing.

What do you make of that?

PairTheBoard

fnord_too
07-28-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

However, here's a problem I'm having. It would seem quite easy for the Tube to expect the front detector to catch ALL the photons before the Back gets opened.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tube would only expect that if all the photons traveling backwards would bounce off the back wall before the back have got opened. There will not be much of a time difference between when the front and back get opened though. Say the tube travels 1/10 its length before the back gets chopped off. The tube is going c for all intents and purposes of the following, so that means 1/5 of the photons traveling backwards will hit the back wall and bounce before the back gets chopped off, so 60% of the total photons go out the front, 40% out the back.

PairTheBoard
07-28-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However, here's a problem I'm having. It would seem quite easy for the Tube to expect the front detector to catch ALL the photons before the Back gets opened.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tube would only expect that if all the photons traveling backwards would bounce off the back wall before the back have got opened. There will not be much of a time difference between when the front and back get opened though. Say the tube travels 1/10 its length before the back gets chopped off. The tube is going c for all intents and purposes of the following, so that means 1/5 of the photons traveling backwards will hit the back wall and bounce before the back gets chopped off, so 60% of the total photons go out the front, 40% out the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea ok. Cool. That's the thing then. It must be that the amount of the barn's length contraction divided by the Tube's Speed, never exceeds the Tube's Tube length divided by the speed of light. I'll bet this could be shown mathematically using the Relativistic Equation for Length Contraction as a function of the speed.

PairTheBoard