PDA

View Full Version : Bet/Call with top pair on a four flush board?

deception5
07-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Thought this was an interesting hand. Don't have the exact history but here it is from memory.

PokerStars 2/4 (6-max).

Hero is dealt A /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in MP. I raise after an UTG limper, BB a loose aggressive player calls and the limper a loose but decent postflop player calls.

Flop is 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Limper checks I bet BB calls UTG check/raises I call and the BB calls. At this point I figure there's a good chance I'm behind trips, a 6, or a pocket pair. I have some outs though, a 6 would counterfeit 22-55 and my A/T may be good. If I don't improve on the turn I'm done.

Turn is the T /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG bets I call BB calls. (I probably should have raised here on this scary board and this would have greatly simplified the hand).

River is a fourth club, let's say 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG checks. I consider for a moment.

1.) UTG could have been betting with a better hand than me like 8x but no club planning to check/call.
2.) He could be check/raising with a high club.
3.) He could be check/calling with a low club.
4.) He could have a worse hand, 6's, a pocket pair.
5.) BB is fairly aggressive. I think there's a chance he would bluff-raise here.

I can't overcall and I may have the best hand. If UTG has trips I think he would fold for 2 BB. Pot is around 10BB. I bet, BB raises UTG folds I call.

deception5
07-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Should have stated, my question here is if this river is too aggressive. Would I be better off just checking and calling but not overcalling?

kapw7
07-27-2005, 02:31 PM
I think your idea on the river is nice but I cannot see it working enough times. That is enough times that BB will raise with a hand that you beat and UTG will fold.

Also I'd like to leave this trouble hand on the turn as we have no odds to draw. I think raising the turn can lead you to even more trouble.

aces_dad
07-27-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't think I could do this, as your plan depends upon both BB bluff-raising with a worse hand than yours, and UTG folding a better hand than yours for 2 bets.

I do agree that you have very little chance to win vs 2 overcallers, so BB may have just helped you win the pot. I'm still afraid BB's "bluff" may contain a small club and pick up the pot.

So I see merit for both bet/call and check/fold here; I don't like check/call for reasons you've mentioned. I guess a lot of this depends on what kind of garbage BB is willing to bluff-raise with.

POKhER
07-27-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd have called the flop(Him C/R you makes me think its a bluff, Most wait for Turn)

Raised the turn, Folded to a reraise.

assuming he calls, I check/Fold this river.

I think one has a club, Maybe if you have a low club sure i bet/Call raise but you dont. Even at best you win, and you can also still lose to an 8.