PDA

View Full Version : AK big stack - close gamble for 2/3 of stack

Isura
07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm one of the chip leaders (very close to 1st), about 20 left, 9 pay. I had seen the villain make this type of ridiculous overbet before, but hadn't shown down the hand. I'm getting about 1.3 to 1 on the call, which is just enough if I know she has a smaller pocket pair. I also couldn't give villain credit for AA-KK, but that might be a leak. Is this a bad call? What if villain flips of QQ (or some pair), still call?

FullTiltPoker Game #166758420: $20 + $2 Tournament (997497), Table 5 -

120/240 Ante 25 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:41:14 ET - 2005/07/27
Seat 2: allrounder (10,455)
Seat 3: krinsky (6,669)
Seat 4: Argenis1 (12,510)
Seat 5: M1Garand (8,245)
Seat 6: Saturn422 (5,195)
Seat 7: patrick17 (3,695)
Seat 8: chipkid (4,265)
Seat 9: sunomuno (3,151)
allrounder antes 25
krinsky antes 25
Argenis1 antes 25
M1Garand antes 25
Saturn422 antes 25
patrick17 antes 25
chipkid antes 25
sunomuno antes 25
M1Garand posts the small blind of 120
Saturn422 posts the big blind of 240
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to allrounder [Ks As]
patrick17 folds
chipkid folds
sunomuno folds
allrounder raises to 750
krinsky raises to 6,644, and is all in
Argenis1 folds
M1Garand folds
Saturn422 folds
allrounder has 15 seconds left to act
allrounder calls 5,894

mlagoo
07-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Especially considering the blind sizes, I would call here. I would expect to be a coinflip, as I see a lot of bad players do this sort of thing with a pocket pair, so they don't have to worry about postflop play once an overcard hits.

However, you have to assume that you are at worst a coinflip, and against his range here, you should be a slight (definitely slight) favorite.

What I was saying about the blind sizes... If you call and win, you're obviously in a great position, with the big stack and a lot of average stacks that you can abuse and collect chips. If you lose, you'll still have something like 15-18xBB, and plenty of room to work with, and plenty of tourney left to play.

I call.

Dave D
07-27-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Especially considering the blind sizes, I would call here. I would expect to be a coinflip, as I see a lot of bad players do this sort of thing with a pocket pair, so they don't have to worry about postflop play once an overcard hits.

However, you have to assume that you are at worst a coinflip, and against his range here, you should be a slight (definitely slight) favorite.

What I was saying about the blind sizes... If you call and win, you're obviously in a great position, with the big stack and a lot of average stacks that you can abuse and collect chips. If you lose, you'll still have something like 15-18xBB, and plenty of room to work with, and plenty of tourney left to play.

I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think AA or KK would call, not push. Why would AA/KK push here and probably force you to fold? Seems like villian was just trying to bully you or something.

There's no way I'm not calling here, especially b/c even if you lose you're still gonna have 15 bbs left.

DemonDeac
07-27-2005, 02:24 PM
what was the stealing situation like?
were u stealing alot? was villain stealing alot?
have u shown that you would fold to resteals after previous attempts to steal?

based on whats given, i call. villain has a pretty hefty stack and i dont think would push right away with KK or AA. this is a coinflip at best and you've got the odds are you said

Isura
07-27-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been stealing a lot, just raising with pretty solid values (Two isolation raises to take down pots preflop against a loose passive limper, but not against this villain). Also, villain hadn't been stealing a lot, and was playing generally tight. This was the first time I'd beeen played back at. My read was that villain was a basic tightish player, but wasn't very good postflop.

DemonDeac
07-27-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been stealing a lot, just raising with pretty solid values (Two isolation raises to take down pots preflop against a loose passive limper, but not against this villain). Also, villain hadn't been stealing a lot, and was playing generally tight. This was the first time I'd beeen played back at. My read was that villain was a basic tightish player, but wasn't very good postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm. i might muck this and wait for a better spot. you still have plenty of chips. key word "might". i think cuz they're sooooooted you can call 80% and fold this 20%. look at your watch and see what time is it as Dan Harrington says sometimes.

also, after this hand i would start to steal. it seems like you have a good table to do so. dont forget resteals too, my man.