PDA

View Full Version : How much to raise with 1500 stacks?

Beck
07-27-2005, 12:48 PM
I believe the general consensus in the Party structure is to raise 3BB?? But how big a raise should you put in on the first levels, with larger stacks? I play Pokerroom where starting blinds are 10/20 and stacks 1500, and at Bodog with 5/10 blinds and 1000 stacks.

I've started raising 5BB, but encounter this a lot:
Hero raise to 100 with, 2 callers. Flop is KQ9r. Hero bets pot, 1 caller. Turn 8. hero goes all in, villain calls and shows Q9s.
He's playing a marginal hand that in the long run is -EV, but when he do hit the flop, and I have a very good hand too, I just don't know how to avoid being eliminated?? t against someone with a good hand

Maulik
07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
its time for you to read Harrington on Hold'em Vol I. This will address your early tournament play & understanding.

Scuba Chuck
07-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Beck, I think you'd do well to consider the following advice when playing in deeper stacked tourneys. TPTK isn't always the best hand. Early in the tournament, you need to develop some skills to let this go. Furthermore, with the flop you just described, this is extremely coordinated, and definately has the possibility for two pair (particularly KQ for the pair, and TJ for the straight). It's much easier to let your AK hands go here, and to fight another day.

When playing with deeper stacks, you need to consider one of two things. One, raise smaller amounts with the objective to win/play a small pot. Two, raise a significant amount, risking a significant amount of chips if you don't improve or take it down (or don't get any callers). IMO, a hand like AK can be tricky in these early rounds, and you bode well to learn not to loose too much with these hands.

Good luck at the tables.
Scuba

Tater10
07-27-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm having the same problems at pokerroom.

Hero gets AA 1st hand of the tourney, raises to 125. 2 callers.

Flop 9h 8h 8c.

Hero bets $200, Villan #1 folds, Villian #2 raises all in. Hero (now) folds. Hero has 1100+ chips left with 10/20 blinds and can find out later if the guy is a donk.

Hero calls on party, not much chips left.

Beck
07-27-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beck, I think you'd do well to consider the following advice when playing in deeper stacked tourneys. TPTK isn't always the best hand. Early in the tournament, you need to develop some skills to let this go. Furthermore, with the flop you just described, this is extremely coordinated, and definately has the possibility for two pair (particularly KQ for the pair, and TJ for the straight). It's much easier to let your AK hands go here, and to fight another day.

When playing with deeper stacks, you need to consider one of two things. One, raise smaller amounts with the objective to win/play a small pot. Two, raise a significant amount, risking a significant amount of chips if you don't improve or take it down (or don't get any callers). IMO, a hand like AK can be tricky in these early rounds, and you bode well to learn not to loose too much with these hands.

Good luck at the tables.
Scuba

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was considering KQ as a possibility. But the thing is I hit the flop, he never showed any aggression, but just called (I know, he had position on me). And if I don't make significant bets, I risk giving them free cards. But perhaps not respecting position is my biggest mistake here?

Scuba Chuck
07-27-2005, 01:35 PM
A line you may want to consider is "calling for value." I'm not suggesting that you have to do this, or that if you decide to take this route, but the bet is so large that it doesn't make sense but to just move in or fold, then do so. What I'm getting at is two things.

First, many times you're going to have the best hand here. Q9 just pairs one card, and he donkishly calls your allin, or folds. But he's juiced the pot for you preflop. This is what makes raising the flop profitable for you.

Second, sometimes villain will hit a strong hand, more likely a set. And you lose all your chips to him. It happens sometimes. But sometimes, it will feel like it happens too often. You will go on streaks like this sometimes.

Anyway, remember, poker is about winning in the end, not winning the most hands. Pushing, check-folding, check-calling for value are all reasonable lines here. You need to find what works best for you. Each of these has their benefits. I'd say pushing has the potential to increase your $/hr, while the checking route has the potential to increase your ROI.

Scuba