PDA

View Full Version : So, did I get hosed?

M2d
07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
I was up for a job that i really wanted. I had a second, day long interview that went really well. At the end of it the director and I parted ways with her almost giving me the job. She said that she had one more interview to conduct, as a favor to an employee, but that she thought that we'd be working together soon. She also told me that her VP was going out of town for two weeks (leaving in two days), and that she'd try to get back to me before then if possible.
The only rough-ish patch of the inteview (from my perspective) was a scenario section. I was given three scenarios and had to explain how I would react if confronted with them. The problem was that I recieved the scenarios only thirty minutes prior to my interview start time, via e-mail. At my interview, the director apologized for this and said that the scenarios were a last minute addition to the interview.

the day after the interview, I was contacted by the company and told that they could not schedule the other candidate before the VP left for his trip, so they would get back to me in two weeks, after his interview was completed.

two weeks later (last week tuesday), I recieved a message from my recruiter saying that I did not get my job. The company felt that we were very close in all phases of the interview, and that the only thing separating us was his response in the scenario section.

now that I think more about it, he probably had two weeks to mull over his response to that section, while I had only half an hour (while trying to tie my tie, no less). More and more, I'm thinking I got bent over (not in a good way).

So, OOT,

swede123
07-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I voted quit your bitching. How do you know the other guy had all this time to prepare for this scenario question? Maybe that's the interviewer's plan all along, tossing a curveball with little prep time to see how well the candidate handles it.

Nonetheless, you didn't get the job. Time to move on. At least be appreciative they gave you enough feedback that you know what clinched it as far as the other guy getting the job. This way you can work on improving your response to questions similar to the one you screwed up on.

Swede

Pocket Trips
07-27-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They stuck it in your pooper (not in a good way)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a good way to have it stuck in your pooper?

M2d
07-27-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not Bigsteve, so, not for me. for others, I'd assume yes.

M2d
07-27-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you know the other guy had all this time to prepare for this scenario question?

[/ QUOTE ]
that's why I came to OOT where the polls tell all.

TheCroShow
07-27-2005, 12:39 PM
"Have you ever had your shxt pushed in homes?"

RacersEdge
07-27-2005, 12:45 PM
I think you might have a good case becasue I'm amazed at how inefficient and half-assed companies can be with an interview process.

Freakin
07-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Where's the "Both" option?

Freakin

DemonDeac
07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not Bigsteve, so, not for me. for others, I'd assume yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigsteve is dead to me

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Maybe you got hosed, but it's not because of this interview question. You got hosed because the other guy was already in. They're just making [censored] up with that excuse they gave you and the woman who interviewed you messed up when she told you that you were pretty much in, because you never were.

johnc
07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
In most careers you won't even have a half an hour to prepare and have to face issues head on. I'm pretty sure that was their whole intent from the start (I conduct job interviews myself). P.S. I wouldn't completely give up on the position altogether, keeping in touch may pay off in time.

touchfaith
07-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Scenario questions are lame and tell you nothing about how someone will react to something when it actually happens.

I've done plenty of interviewing and I never use them. If I can't judge somebodys character good enough that I need to ask them stupid questions, I shouldn't be conducting the interview.

It was SIYP before the interview process ever began.

BZ_Zorro
07-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I think you got screwed over, but not because of the scenario.

[ QUOTE ]
She said that she had one more interview to conduct, as a favor to an employee

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't make you suspicious?

[ QUOTE ]
I recieved a message from my recruiter saying that I did not get my job. The company felt that we were very close in all phases of the interview, and that the only thing separating us was his response in the scenario section.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like they hired the other guy for reasons not related to performance. Possibilities: VP's son, daughter's bf, minority, long term employee who'd been blackmailing the boss, well hung stud who gave the director a piece, etc.

I say they picked the weaker part of your interview as an excuse to fault an otherwise good interview and not give you the job. You got screwed, but not in the way you think. I voted #2.

-Skeme-
07-27-2005, 01:12 PM
You can't do anything about it, so who cares?

M2d
07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't do anything about it, so who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]
just because I rarely excercise it, I always have the option of bitching on OOT

Soul Daddy
07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Unfortunately things are not always fair in the workplace. Learn from the experience and figure out how to tie your tie.

jakethebake
07-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Make sure you follow up that you're still interested. Maybe they'll have another opening in the near future.

James Boston
07-27-2005, 03:14 PM
It sounds suspicious, but I'd still say forget about them. Anytime I'm forced to do anything like the scenario excerise you described, or some sort of ridiculous role-playing, I become immediately suspect. I find those things to be the most useless and unproductive way of analyzing someone's qualifications. And yes, I've gotten hosed on it in the past.

turnipmonster
07-27-2005, 03:27 PM
best thing you can do is send them a note back saying you liked the company and to keep you in mind if there's any other openings.

-Skeme-
07-29-2005, 04:58 AM
Is that Mark Weir in your avatar?