PDA

View Full Version : Limping or raising

FlyingStart
07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
With hands like AT and KJ you would like to limit the field, but if you raise from UTG or UTG+1 you often end up getting a coldcaller in position and both blinds calling (if the table is a little loose, which it often is 1/2 where I'm playing). If it was three people to the flop and I had position, I could sometimes pick up the pot with a continuation bet, but with four people and one of them in position, this is hopeless. So what usually happens is that I get really passive after the flop (folding alot), unless a J or K flops.

Should I limp with these hands from UTG/UTG+1 in games with ~45% VPIP? The problem with limping is that it encourages even more players to call but atleast then the pot will be a little smaller so that KJ and AT can be a little easier after the flop (Is this right or wrong?)

I don't want to fold these hands as they are among the 1/6 best hands you can start with, so I should have some equity edge preflop

sammy_g
07-27-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to fold these hands as they are among the 1/6 best hands you can start with, so I should have some equity edge preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, that is why you raise. If you get 3 cold callers, well, most of them are going to have worse hands.

Just don't feel like you have to keep firing into the crowd when the flop misses you and it's obvious you are beat. Raise when you have an equity advantage, then play poker when the flop comes.

FlyingStart
07-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok, thx, I wanted to hear that. But is it right to think of preflop raising just in terms of equity?

A2 is among the 1/3 best hands HU, but should you raise with it from the button? The books tells you to lay down these hands as they are 'trouble hands'. I also think A2 is hard to play after the flop because you essentially only have one card to hit, and you must play it like ace high. This is a problem because when you do have the best hand with ace high your opponent often folds on the flop and you don't win that much, but when he makes a pair he will call your bets and sometimes you have to pay his bets off.

I guess I'm a little lost with Ax as they are among the best hands equity wise (agaist few opponents), but can be hard to play after the flop. CAlling the button might be an option? (which could also let you collect more bets if an ace flops)

RunDownHouse
07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
The whole "opening A2 from the button" thing has been debated around here a few times. Honestly, I started out in the auto-raise crowd, but I'm starting to lean towards mucking unless the blinds are tight. I'm just not sure which way to go on this one.

FlyingStart
07-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Q9o and JTo have about the same win % HU against random hand as A2o does, but I think they are easier to play after the flop. Raising with these hands from the button should be OK I think. I'm still in doubt with A2, but as you said, this can be an option against tight players