PDA

View Full Version : Bad call preflop?

BamaFan92
07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
$11 Party SNG - Blinds at 50/100
I doubled up on the first hand with pocket queens and at this point there are 6 people left and I am 2nd in chips (~1500 vs 1400). I'm in the BB. Chip leader makes it 325 from middle position. All folds to me. I'm looking at A-10 offsuit. What do I do?

Here was my thought process...
- I don't like getting involved with the only person that can knock me out.
- I'm closing the action, so maybe take a look at the flop for 225 more and make a decision there.
- Fold and wait for a better spot to get involved?
- I gave a reraise a brief thought, but I put him on a good hand, so I ruled that out.

I'll give you the results, but I'm interested in the pre-flop action.

- I call for 225 more
- Flop come JQK rainbow. I flopped the nuts.
- I check. He bets 450. I call.
- Turn is blank (4). I check, he's all in, I call.
- He turns up pocket kings.
- River pairs the board with a J and he hits his full house and I'm out in 6th place.

Thanks for the comments.

downtown
07-27-2005, 11:45 AM
To answer your question, yes, bad call preflop. A 10 is not a premium holding vs. his range. Even then, what's your plan when you flop an Ace? Put it all in with the 10 kicker? Eh, I hate it. I would only contemplate calling this bet vs. a short stack of 225 who just pushed because the blinds were coming, and then I'd reraise all-in. Easy fold preflop here.

BamaFan92
07-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Agree with your logic. If I hit an Ace, I would still have to worry about being ourkicked. Probably should have picked another spot. Thanks for help.