PDA

View Full Version : not fun but profitable

oddjob
03-04-2003, 07:30 PM
the #1 reason i play cards is for fun. making money is nice though.

the other night i was doing well, and there was one drunk annoying guy who was playing just about every hand and just giving his money away. but he was so annoying i was getting really ticked off at him, but i didn't want to leave as he was so predictable.

it got to the point that i wasn't having fun any more. time to leave? would you guys stick around, or just leave the table?

i got so annoyed he put me on tilt, which is very very very rare for me.

i guess i should have left when i felt it bringing me down. i ended up dropping my profit back to the table and leaving. bleh.

Al Schoonmaker
03-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Unless poker pays the bills, fun should go ahead of profit. I once was in a game with a similar drunk. I complained to the floor. A working pro said: "I don't care if he xxx on the table. He's going to lose a lot of money, and I want my share."

A little while later the drunk got into a fight with the dealer, then with the floor people. Nobody had a good time, even though some of us did quite well.

If the game isn't fun, do whatever you can -- including complaining to the floor -- to make it OK. If it can't be fixed, go home.

True, you are probably giving up EV, but so what? It is very easy to lose, especially with drunks, and the pain of losing is increased by the knowledge that you should have quit.

Your instincts were right. Next time, listen to them.

Regards,

Al

J.R.
03-04-2003, 09:28 PM
the #1 reason i play cards is for fun

ok

it got to the point that i wasn't having fun any more

You answered your own question. I think life's too short to spend time doing things that aren't fun or enjoyable for you.

**MR.MANHATTAN**
03-05-2003, 02:50 AM
IF U WANT FUN ,GO TO THE CATHOUSE.....I SAY THE GUY STAYS AND PLAYS AND CAN SH#$ ON THE TABLE TILL HE GOES BUST THEN GET THOSE GORILLAS THEY CALL SECURITY GAURDS AT BINIONS TO THROW HIS ASS OUT ONTO 3RD ST. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif