PDA

View Full Version : Donk bet?

Supern
07-27-2005, 10:02 AM
1. What is the definition of a donk bet?

I think it is when a player get raised on a previous round and bets out from OOP.
Is that right?

2. Should you ever donk bet?
Seems like a donk bluff bet is totally useless.
But if you have a great hand against an aggresive player?

3. When should you use donk bets?

mwilli31
07-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Popular question (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2978069&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1)

Fantam
07-27-2005, 10:31 AM
My understanding of a donk bet, is when someone wakes up with a bet on a succeeding round, when they have done nothing but checked and called on previous rounds until then.

I think that this would usually mean that they would do something like check and call a flop bet, and then bet into the flop better on the turn.

This tactic might be used as a bluff, but I would usually expect it to mean that the turn improved the donk better's hand.

And if you check/called the flop with a weak drawing hand (when you had odds to call a bet), and then made your draw on the turn, you might well decide to donk bet the turn to get value for your hand.

Alternatively you might decide to go for a check/raise if you thought that your flop betting opponent was likely to continue with a turn bet if you check.

There are lots of instances when someone might decide to donk bet, but that doesnt necessarily mean that it is either a good or bad bet. A donk bet just describes the sequence of betting thats all. (Nicknamed after supposed jackass/donkey poor players who might bet like this. LOL) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jrz1972
07-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Here's a potential donk-betting situation:

Villain open-raises and it's folded to you in the BB. You call with AJs. The flop is something like T83 rb. You check, he bets, you call. Now a J comes on the turn. Donk-betting the turn is reasonable since villain may have been planning on taking a free card, and you obviously don't want that. Furthermore, a bet protects your hand against something like AK, which still has some outs against you.

Absolution
07-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Ya I was going to say. Isn't this just typically from donk players who a) don't understand position and b) don't even remember that you raised preflop anyway. It almost always means they hit something, but it's hard to figure out what because they call with anything in the first place.

From a better player it could be tricky.