PDA

View Full Version : improving post flop play

golfboy7
07-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Hello everyone,

I started a thread which is still on the main page of the 'small stakes' forum under limit holdem. The thread is entitled STREAKY....

anyway, I was pointed here in this direction because it's a 1/2 game that I 've been having problems with and therefore, here's the post, but rather than copying my post over there, I'll just point you in that direction so you can read about my problems.

I've been thinking recently, that I should reread some of my poker books that I have.

But I'm interested in what you folks think about how one can improve their post flop play.

I'm pretty simple really, if i'm playing low stakes NL holdem like the $25 tables at party, I will usually see more flops with more variety in my starting cards because of the large implied odds of NL holdem. If I have a big hand I'm raising pre flop, but usually, since people tend to call too much at the lower limits, I'll play some hands like AJ offsuit or KJ offsuit like they are drawing hands and just call in to see a flop. If I hit, I'll play, but if not, it's rare I'll call a bet on the flop even tosee a turn card. ( this sentence is true for my 1/2 game too)

So I guess people have classified me over there at the small stakes forum as being WEAK/Tight. The have made this assumption after seeing a couple hand examples and although I don't totally agree with them, there are times where I certainly would.

Wondering what your thoughts are as too the most effective way to improve my post flop play.

Keep in mind I have been playing serious poker for about 2 years now, we have a yearly trip to vegas for 7 days of non-stop poker during which I play all limits (well nothing higher than 8/16 at bellagio). I feel like I have a solid grasp on the concepts of the game but as of late, my luck has turned south.

davelin
07-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Post hands, read hands, respond to hands.

benkath1
07-27-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Post hands, read hands, respond to hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

And re reading/studying your books ain't a bad idea either.

Fantam
07-27-2005, 09:56 AM
And are you concentrating on limit play or no limit ?

Because as I am sure you are aware, there is a big difference between these two structures.

golfboy7
07-27-2005, 09:58 AM
my concentration would be on improving my post flop limit play, i only play low limit NL holdem when I get fed up with the suckouts at low limit holdem

GrunchCan
07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my concentration would be on improving my post flop limit play, i only play low limit NL holdem when I get fed up with the suckouts at low limit holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

This attitude is -EV. You should relish the suckouts, becasue they are Sklansky Bucks in your pocket.

golfboy7
07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
I really do understand what you are saying and I do think to myself when I get unlucky...."JR, you just got unlucky. This guy's a fish and he's gonna give it all back + more so just stay cool and play your game." then I tell him 'nh'.

Getting fed up with them tho only happens when I'm at a 6 max table and have played 3 hands in 10 rounds, all 3 of them AA, KK and AK and all three lose to gutshot runner runner draws. At that point, I begin to steam a little and rather than change my game, I take a break and come back in 10 mins and play some low level NL holdem. Usually this helps me regain my aggressive stance and gets me back in the mindset to play against some fish and make them pay for their suckouts.

Believe me tho, I don't teach at the table and I really do 'relish' when people make horrible suckouts against me. Instead of teaching I congratulate them by telling them NH and well played...thereby reinforcing the bad play.

GrunchCan
07-27-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting fed up with them tho only happens when I'm at a 6 max table and have played 3 hands in 10 rounds, all 3 of them AA, KK and AK

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW!

You really mean to say that you played only 3 hands in 10 orbits!? That's a VPIP of - holy god - five!

If so, you, my friend, are waaaaaaaaay too tight. How can you possibly expect to not lose everything by playing so tight?

Do you have poker tracker (www.pokertracker.com)? You better get it right away. Play 10k hands at one particular game & level, and bring your stats here for analysis. Also see the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum.

golfboy7
07-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I looked into poker tracker a couple months ago but as I was in the midst of buying a new computer and I wasn't sure if I could properly transfer it to my new computer, I didn't purchase it.

I hear people talk about it all the time on here (i'm a reader not a poster, that's about to change) and am seriously considering getting it.

In fact, maybe i'll go home tonight and do it...yeah...it's done.

I'll post in a couple weeks.

GrunchCan
07-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Good. Try to concentrate on just once game to start. Don't mix full ring with 6m, for instance. You need 10k hands of a single game. If you're playing 6m, bring your stats to the hush forum. Full ring, bring em here.

Also, start posting your advice to as many threads here as possible. It's the best way to improve your game.

OrianasDaad
07-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Others have already mentioned:
-post hands
-respond to posted hands (grunching)
-read books

I've recently been re-introduced to some concepts (during my own 400BB downswing) that might prove to be useful for improving your post-flop play.

-Learn how to read hands.
-Study your opponents' play (using PT and hand-history files)
-Study your own play.
-Practice good table & seat selection.
-Learn that luck is just a flea on your butt, in the long run.

Boltsfan1992
07-27-2005, 06:07 PM
I've started a huge downswing as well (200BB, nothing I know, but a first for me).

So, after each session in Pokertracker, I look at the hands that I knew I misplayed wondering how to change.

I'm re-reading SSHE again, concentrating on the post-flop chapters.

I am not multitabling until I start playing better. If the downswing continues, so be it, but I know I'm not playing my best right now.

PB

GrunchCan
07-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Post your hand advice to new threads. You can read SSH a million times, but posting bad advice is a better way to learn.