PDA

View Full Version : I know i should fold this river but i just can't do it

lufbradolly
07-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Villain seems quite loose, seen him turn over a couple of suited holdings. Is there any way i can make this river call? Is this the sort of hand i should get into the habit of being ready to fold?

BatsShadow
07-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Why would he 3bet the flop with a flush draw? The river looks more like a bluff to me. I would call.

lufbradolly
07-27-2005, 07:25 AM
But he checked the turn, doesnt that scream flush draw to you?

BatsShadow
07-27-2005, 07:31 AM
If he is smart enough to push the flop and check the turn with a flush draw, then he should be smart enough to realize that he doesn't have the equity to go crazy with a flush draw because there are only 3 players. It doesn't make sense.

I gotta go to work.

lufbradolly
07-27-2005, 07:42 AM
with the nut flush draw you win close to 35% of the time and ive gone mental a few times with it before in a 3 way pot. I'm not trying to beargumentative i get your point. I just find it hard to believe that im good here often enought to call with the way the villain played the hand.

Obviously the way im ranting the villain did have a flush but i'm trying not to be results orientated (honestly :-)).

I just sometimes worry that im going into call down mode to easily instead of making the occasional good laydown.

@bsolute_luck
07-27-2005, 07:49 AM
raise preflop.

the river can only be decided based on the flop play which is based on reads. w/o those, you could fold the winning hand or you could call with the losing one.

others can talk about % of times you need to catch a bluff to make this call profitable based on pot size. i play based on my reads, so if i have a good read that BB is aggressive with flush draws, then i fold w/o a second thought.

if i have doubts, then i'll call due to pot size. if i lose, it is 1BB and i'll win that back later because i played the rest of the hand correctly and he happened to suck out on me this time.

07-27-2005, 09:16 AM
The Real problem here is your read, but I have also seen some really dumb players cap flush draws to my sets 2 handed and beat me too. He prob has the flush but note here that you have TPMK, which is no prize possession with this maniac, the fact that he is loose makes it some sort of possibility that he has a real ungly 2 pr, or even AQ and was toying with you. I would prob pay him off here with a call, but use it for informational purposes.

Loose and dumb players like this are very capable of bluffing and you only need to catch him 1/12 for it to be break even.

call and remember what happened, if he did this with a flush draw, wait for a big hand you can be sure of (AQ or a set in this case) and make him pay a mint to try to catch his flush card.

imported_The Vibesman
07-27-2005, 09:26 AM
This play is largely based on reads, I think. W/o reads, I will usually err on the side of caution and make the call, which is not as big a mistake as folding the best hand would be. You are correct in that many micros players will play the flush draw like this though.

2+2 Junkie
07-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I think that you should raise preflop. I think the hand might play differently after that (BB would have to call your raise with only 3 people in the hand with his crap, might happen, but makes his play -ev, which is good for us).

I really think more often than not we are beat here. I would fold. He 3-bet the flop, but just checked and called the turn. Then he wakes up on the river when the 3rd /images/graemlins/spade.gif comes out. I would probably fold.

Dave G.
07-27-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he is smart enough to push the flop and check the turn with a flush draw, then he should be smart enough to realize that he doesn't have the equity to go crazy with a flush draw because there are only 3 players. It doesn't make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me. Your odds of making the flush from the flop to the river are 1.8:1. He's got 2 callers, so he's getting 2:1 for his money (as long as people keep calling). This is +EV until one of them folds. Perhaps he had a read that the CO would not fold to a flop 3-bet.

Either way, his play is not as bad as you make it out to be, in fact it's spot on. And this has to be the most obvious flush draw ever, I'm not calling the river.

2+2 Junkie
07-27-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would he 3bet the flop with a flush draw? The river looks more like a bluff to me. I would call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to work on my agression, so I have a question here. Isn't it good to 3bet or cap a flush draws? Or is that dependent on the number of opponents?

zuluking
07-27-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

@bsolute_luck
07-27-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to work on my agression, so I have a question here. Isn't it good to 3bet or cap a flush draws? Or is that dependent on the number of opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess it depends on what else he has in his hand eh? you're flush will come in 35% of the time, so you need at least 3 people to make it profitable.

it would dangerous in this hand because you force CO to call 2, which could fold him and put you in bad shape. it is good however if you have something other than just a flush draw, which in this hand would probably be a straight draw or Qx-kicker.

obviously since he checked the turn he doesn't have the Q, but if he has nothing but a flush draw, IMO it was too aggressive.

BatsShadow
07-27-2005, 05:41 PM
I know what you mean. I call down too much as well. This hand just totally looks suspicious to me.

deception5
07-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Easy easy call. Villian could have a flush sure. Could also have a busted straight draw or a strangely played queen.

flyangler
07-27-2005, 06:18 PM
:grunching:
Preflop: Not Good --&gt;Raise!
Flop: Good
Turn: Good
River: Good

I would NOT lay this hand down for one more bet on the River. I am sure he has the flush, but you can't lay it down for only one more bet. Call.

07-27-2005, 06:24 PM
I would have called, based upon having top pair with decent kicker. While he certainly could have a flush or a straight, I'm calling a pot that's giving me 10.25-to-1. If he's bluffing 10% of the time here, then the call is right.

Also, I think you should have raised pre-flop.