PDA

View Full Version : KJo -- a situational fold

Nick C
07-27-2005, 05:53 AM
I have 100 hands on SB, and he's reasonable enough and also 24/14/1.1. We also had kind of a pattern going on between us when I was the BB and the action got folded around to the blinds. He would raise, I would call, the flop would come, he'd bet, I'd raise with top pair, and he'd fold. (Well, that happend twice before this posted hand, anyway.)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises . . .</font>

. . . and although I can't put SB on a hand with any confidence (JT?, As9s?), I think for about two seconds, take into account that he checkraised the river, and I decide I'm not curious enough about what hand he has that beats mine and fold and concede the 10 BB pot to him.

What do you think?

Something I think about sometimes is sort of theoretical, and it goes like this: If my opponents could somehow play against me in such a way that I had no memory of previous hands, they could make a lot of money heads-up against me just by imitating standard Party 3/6 plays with big hands. I wouldn't always fold, but I wouldn't have a huge hand all that often either, and they'd do well enough.

I guess it doesn't matter so much as long as I keep playing 3/6 and pay some attention to my opponents, but people who bluff more effectively could be a problem, and I'm thinking I'll run into them when I move to higher limits.

I'm rambling, I know. Anyway, what do you think of the hand?

JoshuaD
07-27-2005, 05:55 AM
I'm calling. He could be screwing around for alot of reasons here. Look him up.

ligastar
07-27-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 100 hands on SB, and he's reasonable enough and also 24/14/1.1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick

As I mentioned in your JJ post, I am new to limit after playing only NL for the past two years. I've migrated over to the limit forums to help with my transition to limit ring games.

Quick question ... in your post you mention that the SB is 24/14/1.1. I'm assuming these are numbers being pulled by Gametime? Is the 24 the % of time he sees the flop? Is the 14 the % of hands he wins? What does the 1.1 mean?

Thanks for the clarification. This should help me to understand your post and others like it.

Nick C
07-27-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have 100 hands on SB, and he's reasonable enough and also 24/14/1.1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick

As I mentioned in your JJ post, I am new to limit after playing only NL for the past two years. I've migrated over to the limit forums to help with my transition to limit ring games.

Quick question ... in your post you mention that the SB is 24/14/1.1. I'm assuming these are numbers being pulled by Gametime? Is the 24 the % of time he sees the flop? Is the 14 the % of hands he wins? What does the 1.1 mean?

Thanks for the clarification. This should help me to understand your post and others like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stats are PokerTracker numbers. 24 is the percentage of the time that he voluntarily put dollars in the pot. 14 is the percentage of time he raised preflop. 1.1 is a ratio of his postflop actions -- bets plus raises (together) divided by calls. This 1.1 number is called his aggression factor, and, as StellarWind points out, it can be deceptive, as it combines looseness with aggression (folds don't factor in at all). Also, people who try to checkraise a lot can have lower aggression factors, since they whiff sometimes.

ligastar
07-27-2005, 06:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, what do you think of the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm learning the importance of value bets on the river and reading many posts that stress the importance of this. That being said, the SB has stuck around on all streets and the 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif is a scare card. At the end you have one pair (albeit top pair) so-so kicker, this may be a spot to check behind.

I think you saved a BB by folding to SB's river raise.

Greg H.