PDA

View Full Version : Common spot in limit holdem

ansky451
07-27-2005, 03:46 AM
Im mainly an NL player, but I'm trying to work on my limit game. Im wondering what most people do in spots like these, which seem to be quite common.

Say its folded to you in LP, and you raise with a marginal hand, say K8s or A7o. Only the bb calls, and the flop comes all rags, say 339. the BB checks, do you auto bet here with hands worse than ace high? with A7 i autobet, expecting that I probably have the best hand. But do you bet here with king high? or even queen high if you raised QJ? etc etc, all the way with all the suited conenctors, do you still bet all of those in such a situation?

Say the board bricks on the turn, like a 6. BB checks again, what hands are you betting? and if he raises, do you just give up right there?

and the last question, is do you fire a 4th barrel on the river with rags again?

I assume against a tight opponent you bet with most of the hands expecting him to be able to fold weak hands, but against loose opponents you only bet hands that can win in a showdown, i.e. Ax.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Uglyowl
07-27-2005, 04:10 AM
I hate to become predictable with the late steal attempt and then an auto bet 100% of the time.

Sometimes it is not wrong to check and see the turn and his action. If it looks like something that could help you (J,Q,K,A) then bet out if he checks.

The flop bet will be called most of the time in the lower limits and is probably right to call it from the blind.

Padawan Learner
07-27-2005, 08:59 AM
ansky:

[ QUOTE ]
Say its folded to you in LP, and you raise with a marginal hand, say K8s or A7o. Only the bb calls, and the flop comes all rags, say 339. the BB checks, do you auto bet here with hands worse than ace high?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet that flop everytime, no matter with what I raised...it is very unlikely the drawless flop hit the BB in any way, you have the momentum from the preflop raise, so the BB will be hard pressed to continue. I would need a very compelling reason to not bet this flop after open (steal) raising from lp--and I can't think of any offhand.

[ QUOTE ]
Say the board bricks on the turn, like a 6. BB checks again, what hands are you betting? and if he raises, do you just give up right there?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is as much or more a function of my opponent's tendencies as it the cards I hold.

[ QUOTE ]
and the last question, is do you fire a 4th barrel on the river with rags again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally no...especially if I have some showdown value to my hand. If I have a specific read, I might.

drewjustdrew
07-27-2005, 09:43 AM
fold preflop, and redefine marginal hand.

captain_swing
07-27-2005, 09:56 AM
As other people have said it all depends upon your opponents. Starting with whether you steal or not should be based on likely how likely they are to play back at you, how likely they are to fold pre-flop, on the flop etc.

A lot of thinking but tending to weak-tight opponents will defend and fold the flop. Against them you need to take a flop call seriously, possibly giving up. If flop is 33T--what could the weak-tightie be calling with.

I very rarely will bluff all three streets unless a scare card comes on the river after betting the turn.

peterchi
07-27-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop, and redefine marginal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

K8s is an easy open-raise from late position.

A7o is a bit less so, but i'll still be apt to do it if i have good reads on the blinds.

elena_elphie
07-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Autobetting the flop here is profitable against most opponents. It is the rare opponent who doesn't fold at least the 18% or so of the time necessary for this to show a profit. Against some people you can't be this predictable, but against many opponents it is just fine to be this predictable.

On the turn varies a lot, there are some people who just autocall on the flop and then fold the turn if they have nothing. These people you should usually follow-up with a turn bet against. Be more willing to follow up with a turn bet if you know you can fold to a turn raise.

Be less willing to bluff on the river, on a drawish board where you have a busted draw and can't even beat your opps suspected busted draw is a good spot for bluffing here. Don't bluff with A-high, you usually only get those hands you already beat to fold. The guy who was calling you down with middle/bottom pair will probably call the river too.

W. Deranged
07-27-2005, 04:26 PM
The fact is that against most players in position betting every flop will be profitable behind there check. Remember, even some of the times you get called you will improve to a winning hand, and your opponents only need to fold a small percentage to make the play correct. There are two primary situations where you need to reconsider:

1. You have a hand that is not likely to be ahead and an opponent who will not fold the flop often enough.

2. You are playing in a tough/tricky game against an opponent who requires you mix up your game.

People get into trouble with this kind of bet when they dig in and don't give up with their flop bet. You have to be willing to take a shot on the flop and let go some substantial proportion of the time if you don't improve and your hand has no showdown value. Make good reads.

This was and continues to be a big flaw in my game (spewing chips on big streets in heads-up pots on more or less pure bluffs).