PDA

View Full Version : an AA hand...

R_Ellender
07-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Earlier in the night, I limp-reraised with T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif against a loose(but good) raiser and two weak-tight callers. I knew the loose raiser would lay down because of the strength I showed with the LRR, and if one of the weak-tight players called me, well, I knew I was done with the hand. I wasn't exactly raising for value.

I got no calls and showed the hand, hoping that the steal would set me up for some later preflop reraise. Well, an hour later, I pick up A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG. I limp in, and the loose player who raised in the above hand raised to $10. He got three callers(great games down here), and what I'd like to call a loose super-aggressive player reraised to $30 from the small blind. Well, I'm obviously not just going to call and hope to trap here, so I reraise to $100. Everyone folds except the SuperLAG, who calls without much thought. The pot is now $232.

The flop comes K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif, and my opponent moves all-in for $280. After alot of deliberation, I call.

What the hell am I hoping to beat here besides an unlikely stonecold bluff? All I could come up with was AK, but my heart was telling me that SuperLAG wouldn't play such good cards preflop. Keep in mind that he is just super-aggressive, not "reraise preflop with J7" super-loose.

SoftcoreRevolt
07-27-2005, 02:18 AM
If he's super aggressive, but not a maniac, why in the hell are you trying to Limp ReRaise with AA? Just because you bluffed with an LRR earlier in the night doesn't mean everytime you limp with a good hand you'll be raised by someone who isn't a maniac.

R_Ellender
07-27-2005, 02:46 AM
In the game I was playing, there was rarely a flop seen without a raise beforehand. I guess I should have mentioned that. Are you suggesting I raise instead and hope for a reraise so I can reraise? That could be the optimal play, but I was actually looking to imitate my earlier play so he would give me less credit for the preflop nuts. I didn't mind taking a flop with the guy, though he probably did have sufficient odds to call and crack AA since he got a little over 2:1 preflop after my raise(and with my call on the flop, a little over 6:1 on his preflop call taking into account the implied odds). With that in mind, you're preflop play would probably be better(or I should've made a bigger reraise).

Come to think of it, in a similar game with some of these players, I raised preflop with AA($10), got one caller on the button, and then another super-aggressive opponent reraised to $40 from the sb. I reraised to $150, the button called(God knows...), and the sb asked me how much I had left. When I told him about $400, he just called, and proceeded to pay me that $400 when the flop came A44 and the turn came J to give him jacks full. Oh yeah, the button called $150 preflop with 55, but they folded on the flop.

Damn, I have a good game down here... I'll raise for value next time.

Oh, and by the way, the guy in the OP showed Q /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif, and my aces held up. I think he was in a hurry to win some money back after busting out earlier.

SoftcoreRevolt
07-27-2005, 02:53 AM
I think raising preflop is better here, since you will often be reraised if the game is as you are describing. Your opponents likely won't think that you are just one to bluff via a Limp ReRaise, and if you are reraised, a push right then and there will likely get called.

And that sounds like quite the game.