PDA

View Full Version : J6s - Check or bet the river?

JoshuaD
07-27-2005, 01:20 AM
I talked this hand over with Ishmael and Jason, we didn't come to a concensus.

No reads on BB, UTG is a 51/11/2 after about a hundred hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???

What're you doing on this river and why?

Catt
07-27-2005, 01:43 AM
I bet this, hope if BB hit his flush he goes for the overcall with a paired board and if he is a donk he calls with his T. I reluctantly call a BB raise. I'm not worried about UTG and don't think I should be.

Stack
07-27-2005, 04:09 AM
I bet call this everytime. I would love to hear the defferent arguments that you guys made, since you disagreed.

JoshuaD
07-27-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet call this everytime. I would love to hear the defferent arguments that you guys made, since you disagreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was advocating check/call.

It seems to me that we're not getting much value from a bet. BB played his hand exactly like a draw, and he's very like to be either raising or folding if I bet.

At the same time, there's a good chance I'm splitting with UTG, or worse, he was making the free card play with a diamond or straight draw.

I don't like having to put 2 bets in here when I'm behind and probably not getting too much more when I'm ahead. If I could fold to a raise I'd like betting much more. But I can't because BB is an unknown and could raise a hand like KT here for all I know.

Stack
07-27-2005, 04:56 AM
I think splitting is almost out of the question. He would have made some noise on the turn with a J.

I think he plays the same way with a T, K9 (db gutter on the flop), 88, and maybe a 7. He pays you off with any of these, no?

JoshuaD
07-27-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think splitting is almost out of the question. He would have made some noise on the turn with a J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Alot of guys are stupid enough to "put me on AJ" and then still believe I've got them on the turn.

Catt
07-27-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd be very surprised if a 51 VPIP 2 AF contented himself with a call on this turn holding a J with both other players in for a bet. I feel pretty good about beating UTG (and not too worried that he folds -- I think it is a clear value bet against him alone). BB did play his hand like a draw and one of the obvious draws got there; but he also played his hand like a pansy-ish T or a straight draw. I think you need to bet this for value expecting to collect a bet from UTG and possibly a bet from BB. And again, if BB hit his flush, there's a not insignificant chance that he calls the river bet going for an overcall and/or because he has a smallish flush -- when this happens you're only putting one bet in whether you ck/cl or bet; but you miss bets when it sure appears that UTG is calling one and BB might call one since he is unknown.

StellarWind
07-27-2005, 02:22 PM
I think your flop 3-bet is out of line. You are either buried or facing strong draws and you just don't have the pot equity. I would call and lead a safe turn.

I check the river because I don't beat much of anything that raised the flop and I have to call a raise to get my chop.

BB is a huge issue as he could have almost anything including a jack, a flush, a straight, or a full house. The draw possibilities are obvious but he's also in an awkward spot with a flopped monster or after making the common mistake of not raising the flop with a jack.

Checking may easily save when it comes back two bets.

Checking also represents an overplayed hand. I expect UTG to bet my chops so we can charge the third player.

JrJordan
07-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Looks like a standard bet to me. Villain has a 7 or T more often than the flush draw IMO. If he raises I'd still call down on the chance he has a lower J or is raising a rivered K.

stir
07-27-2005, 02:56 PM
I agree the flop 3-bet is out of line.

What I find interesting is that Jr, Catt, and Stack did not mention it - implying they think a 3-bet on this flop is the best line??

Catt
07-27-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't mind it as much as StellarWind does, though I'd prefer to stop 'n go a safe turn.

Without a real read on his postflop play, UTG's stats indicate a very aggressive player and I think the range of hands he can raise here with one player to act behind him is wide enough that our virtually naked J is good often enough that if it's a mistake it's not a substantial one, IMHO. As StellarWind points out, it is the largish number of draws that constrain my enthusiasm for the flop three-bet.

Frankly, I focused on the thread title and the river decision and didn't really think about Hero's play on prior streets all that much (focusing on Villain's reactions to Hero's play).

TwoNiner
07-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Everyone played it like a draw. BB calling everything and AGGressive raising flop in position then slowing down. Almost every draw just got there. Check call would be my line, but I over use it so buyer beware. If your going to bet and the big blind is passive you might be able to find a fold in a bet... raise by big blind scenario.. but i never do.