PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favourite guitar shredder?

DarkForceRising
07-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Although it is close between Randy Rhoads, George Lynch and Jake E. Lee I have to go with Jake. He took a lot of guff after stepping into Randys' place with Ozzy (Bark at teh Moon rocked- Ultimate Sin blew) but his work with Badlands is one of hard rocks best kept secrets.

Unique, complex riffs and rippin' solos.

Rushmore
07-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Everyone who knows anything about the electrified geetar knows full well that the only correct response to this question is one word:

Dime.

The leads on Trendkill in particular are like some sort of reinvention of the genre. Freakin terrifying.

istewart
07-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Petrucci.

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who knows anything about the electrified geetar knows full well that the only correct response to this question is one word:

Dime.

The leads on Trendkill in particular are like some sort of reinvention of the genre. Freakin terrifying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Dimebag Darryl? If not- who? What band?

kgrad5
07-27-2005, 12:30 AM
http://www.starpoint.net/~dennis/Shredder.gif

siccjay
07-27-2005, 12:38 AM
lmao

siccjay
07-27-2005, 12:46 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/jaydeuce/shredder.gif

Ponks
07-27-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nice addition.

Ponks

Benal
07-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Zakk Wylde

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Goddammit. I can't even post an image let alone do that. Genius.

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Zakk Wylde

[/ QUOTE ]

Great solos but plodding riffs. Entertaining as hell live, though. His renditions of Randys' songs on Live and Loud are better than Randy was on Tribute.

PITTM
07-27-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

INCORRECT.

Correct Answer: Yngwie J. Malmsteen. motherfucker

rj

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

INCORRECT.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw Yngwie in a small club once about five feet away. Unfuckingbelievable. It was more like a clinic than a concert. We just stood there with our mouths open.

Gomez22
07-27-2005, 01:02 AM
Dark - Glad to know that someone else out there knows some greats, mainly Lynch. I have an Aria Pro MA-30 that I got signed by George in Cleveland, Ohio after a Lynch Mob concert (Wicked Sensation tour) while partying with him and Mick Brown in hotel bar after they closed it down..... one hell of a great night....

Sadly, this was in the days when I taught guitar 3 days/week at the local music store. Haven't picked one up in 5 years though..... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

All in all, I'd have to say:

1 George Lynch
2 Neal Schon
3 Cris Oliva (too bad he died prematurely)
4 Alex Skolnick
5 Al Pitrelli

PITTM
07-27-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

INCORRECT.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw Yngwie in a small club once about five feet away. Unfuckingbelievable. It was more like a clinic than a concert. We just stood there with our mouths open.

[/ QUOTE ]

the yngwie instructional video is the coolest thing ive ever seen in my life, hands down. the best is how he acts during the video. okay, so this is how you do this riff ::does most insane riff youve ever heard:: now you try...uhhhhh...?

rj

coffeecrazy1
07-27-2005, 01:04 AM
Satriani needs to be in here somewhere.

Gomez22
07-27-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the yngwie instructional video is the coolest thing ive ever seen in my life, hands down. the best is how he acts during the video. okay, so this is how you do this riff ::does most insane riff youve ever heard:: now you try...uhhhhh...?

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite thing about that vid (I watched it early in my guitar playing years)... he plays a riff, then... he stops, and says, "Now..... I play slow for you..." to about 140 bpm it seemed like at the time....

I remember thinking... "WTF?"

Gomez22
07-27-2005, 01:08 AM
Satch and Vai, although great, were always somewhat "out there" and weird to me.

eastbay
07-27-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1 George Lynch
2 Neal Schon
4 Alex Skolnick
5 Al Pitrelli

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality list. Good to see there are still some Schon fans out there that can set aside the "gayness" of Journey to recognize one of the best rock guitarists to ever pick up the six string.

eastbay

eastbay
07-27-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Satch and Vai, although great, were always somewhat "out there" and weird to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vai is way further "out" than Satch. They both have their moments. Hard to sit through a whole album, though.

eastbay

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dark - Glad to know that someone else out there knows some greats, mainly Lynch. I have an Aria Pro MA-30 that I got signed by George in Cleveland, Ohio after a Lynch Mob concert (Wicked Sensation tour) while partying with him and Mick Brown in hotel bar after they closed it down..... one hell of a great night....

Sadly, this was in the days when I taught guitar 3 days/week at the local music store. Haven't picked one up in 5 years though..... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

All in all, I'd have to say:

1 George Lynch
2 Neal Schon
4 Alex Skolnick
5 Al Pitrelli

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Yngwie once saying the only new guitar players on the scene that impressed him were George Lynch and Warren De Martini. I went out and picked up Tooth and Nail right away.

Did you know that Lynch was Ozzys' first choice to replace Randy but he had that skunk style hair-do at the time and didn't look the part? It would have been interesting to see what they could have done.

BTW, just saw Journey two weeks ago and Neil Shoen rocked. Never was a fan of them until I saw them live.

IQ89
07-27-2005, 01:14 AM
http://kytary.muzikant.cz/person/angelo_michael/angelo8.jpg

Michael Angelo. Just for watching somebody shred for shredding sake you won't find any better. Sure he has nothing to say on the guitar, but it's like watching a carnival freak show. Very cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.

http://users.utu.fi/~meniva/guitar/nigel.jpgThis one goes to eleven.

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1 George Lynch
2 Neal Schon
4 Alex Skolnick
5 Al Pitrelli

[/ QUOTE ]

Quality list. Good to see there are still some Schon fans out there that can set aside the "gayness" of Journey to recognize one of the best rock guitarists to ever pick up the six string.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are the last three on that list? If memory serves me I think Skolnik is from Rush.

touchfaith
07-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Michael Schenker

I'll let others elaborate. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yngwie is awesome and is probably faster, but lets face, he can get a little sloppy at times.

I do have a good Yngwie story though...

When I saw him at the San Jose Civic about 20 years ago, people where climbing up the pillars on each side of the stage, being general drunk fck nuts like any good concert go'er should be...

The pillars where about 12-15 feet high and when one guy got up there, instead of just waiting for security to pull him down...He decided to stage dive...

Bad idea.

Once he jumped, the croud parted like smoothcalls legs when he see's BigSteve coming for him (thats wide). Except for one reallly dumb guy...

...and sure enough...he landed square, right on that one idiot. Funniest thing I think I've ever seen.

Oh, but it got much better.

The next day I went over to my sisters boyfriends house to hang out. I get into the house and to the room he's in and as soon as I see him... He had a sling on his arm and a look on his face like someone had just landed on him...

...and someone just had... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

He immediately jumps up and starts to go on about how 'he was at Yngwie last and some guy jumped on him...' bla bla bla...

I let him go on for about 10 mins before clueing him in to the fact that I had seen the whole thing and that, at that point in time in history...He looked like the biggest idiot in the world...

It was great /images/graemlins/smile.gif

eastbay
07-27-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1 George Lynch
2 Neal Schon
4 Alex Skolnick
5 Al Pitrelli

[/ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are the last three on that list? If memory serves me I think Skolnik is from Rush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oliva played in Savatage.
Skolnick used to play in a band called Testament.
Pitrelli has played with a number of bands, including Savatage, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and I believe Megadeth.

eastbay

touchfaith
07-27-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your memory has failed you. The guitarist for RUSH is Alex Lifeson.

Gomez22
07-27-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks, EB. Nice to see others that recognize good tunes. You have any opinions on Schon's solo stuff? I presume you knew he had a new solo album out... I On U, released a few months ago, I beieve. Only guitarist I've ever heard that can sit on one note and make it literally bleed, if you know what I mean.

My personal faves. by him would be Send Me An Angel and Call Of The Wild (Beyond The Thunder), Late Nite (Late Nite), Father (I On U), and his cover of Bocelli's Con Te Partiro (Voice).

Lynch is a given. Actually, I'm glad he never took the teaching job at Randy Rhodes's mother's music store when Randy left to play with Ozzy or he never would have got with Dokken. Paris Is Burning.... CLASSIC

Pitrelli would have never made this list if it weren't for the work he's done with Trans-Siberian Orchestra (and Savatage). I give my highest recommendation to check out their tour when it comes around (always around X-mas). Some phenominal guitar work by both him and Skolnick, and it was great for me to see Skolnick supplant Pitrelli in Savatage after Oliva died.

Cris Oliva was my personal guitar hero (along with Lynch) and was the biggest reason I started playing. The stuff he did with Savatage...... just so much there... I can't even begin to describe the impact he had on me.

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Didn't Shon and Sammy Hagar do an album together once? Oh, and now I know the Trans-Siberian guys. Saw the concert once on PBS where Jewel works her well developed pair of lungs on a song. Those guys are jawdropping.

Gomez22
07-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Dark,

EB had it right, but Skolnick is also with Trans-Siberian Orchestra now. If you were to only listen to ONE Trans-Siberian Orchestra song ever, find and listen to Christmas Eve In Sarajevo from their album, Christmas Eve & Other Stories.... YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME (neither will your taste in christmas music, for that matter!). Actually, you should find this song and listen to it NOW!

If it doesn't send shivers up your spine when you hear it, your are either:

1. Deaf
2. Dead
3. All the Above

Gomez22
07-27-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Shon and Sammy Hagar do an album together once?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.. didn't last too long.

realwtf
07-27-2005, 01:33 AM
The Great Kat.

End of thread.

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dark,

EB had it right, but Skolnick is also with Trans-Siberian Orchestra now. If you were to only listen to ONE Trans-Siberian Orchestra song ever, find and listen to Christmas Eve In Sarajevo from their album, Christmas Eve & Other Stories.... YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME (neither will your taste in christmas music, for that matter!). Actually, you should find this song and listen to it NOW!

If it doesn't send shivers up your spine when you hear it, your are either:

1. Deaf
2. Dead
3. All the Above

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine has always sworn by Savatage and I'm pretty sure he has some Trans- Siberian stuff, too. Looks like a CD borrowing visit is in order.

ChipWrecked
07-27-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I first heard of him in an Onion article. It said he was changing his middle name to 'Fcuking' because of the oft-used phrase, "Who do you think you are, Yngwie Fcuking Malmsteen?"

Had to check with a coworker to verify he was for real /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brainwalter
07-27-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Schenker

I'll let others elaborate. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yngwie is awesome and is probably faster, but lets face, he can get a little sloppy at times.

I do have a good Yngwie story though...

When I saw him at the San Jose Civic about 20 years ago, people where climbing up the pillars on each side of the stage, being general drunk fck nuts like any good concert go'er should be...

The pillars where about 12-15 feet high and when one guy got up there, instead of just waiting for security to pull him down...He decided to stage dive...

Bad idea.

Once he jumped, the croud parted like smoothcalls legs when he see's BigSteve coming for him (thats wide). Except for one reallly dumb guy...

...and sure enough...he landed square, right on that one idiot. Funniest thing I think I've ever seen.

Oh, but it got much better.

The next day I went over to my sisters boyfriends house to hang out. I get into the house and to the room he's in and as soon as I see him... He had a sling on his arm and a look on his face like someone had just landed on him...

...and someone just had... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

He immediately jumps up and starts to go on about how 'he was at Yngwie last and some guy jumped on him...' bla bla bla...

I let him go on for about 10 mins before clueing him in to the fact that I had seen the whole thing and that, at that point in time in history...He looked like the biggest idiot in the world...

It was great /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Must have struck a nerve here as your replies are usually short and cryptic. Great story. You ain't gonna find that at some shitty Nickleback concert.

I had a McCaully Schenker tape once but it was pretty light. The only UFO song I can think of is Lights Out in London. I think my memory is right this time when I say that was some pretty progrssive playing for its' time.

The Scorpions' Rudy Schenker is his brother, right?

lastsamurai
07-27-2005, 02:00 AM
What about Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix

CaptSensible
Jimmy Page

touchfaith
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! Must have struck a nerve here as your replies are usually short and cryptic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very deep.

[ QUOTE ]
The Scorpions' Rudy Schenker is his brother, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's him.

Lights Out In London is in my top 10 of alltime favorite albums. Good stuff.

DasLeben
07-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Alex Lifeson, NIGGA.

plaster8
07-27-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, I can't believe it took so long for someone to mention Eddie. (Yeah, I know, Hendrix too.) But Eddie's playing on the first six VH albums is phenomenal. The later years aren't bad, guitar-wise, but don't compare to those albums with David Lee Roth.

tdarko
07-27-2005, 03:13 AM
guitarist-hendrix
shredder-hendrix...dimebag

i just poured a little out for them and you should too.

NorCalJosh
07-27-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, I can't believe it took so long for someone to mention Eddie. (Yeah, I know, Hendrix too.) But Eddie's playing on the first six VH albums is phenomenal. The later years aren't bad, guitar-wise, but don't compare to those albums with David Lee Roth.

[/ QUOTE ]

from one of malmsteens bios- i thought it was kind of humorous, found it when i pulled my Rhapsody play list of his up.

The only thing grander than Yngwie's guitar playing is his ego: at one concert, Malmsteen began to play Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption," stopped in the middle of a lightning lick, and yawned, moving on to a hundred-mile-per-hour solo of his own invention. Malmsteen revolutionized guitar playing in the '80s with a combination of Jimi Hendrix's stage flair, Ritchie Blackmore's (Deep Purple) searing Stratocaster tone, and classical composer Niccolo Paganini's rapid-fire arpeggios and self-destructive personality. After teasing guitar fans and his hair in Alcatrazz and Steeler, Yngwie recorded his first (and best) album Rising Force (1984), mixing Metal riffs and Baroque harmonies to spearhead the neo-classical guitar movement. Though many of his U.S. fans have moved on to grungier pastures, Malmsteen still draws them in internationally, with rabid fans in his native Sweden as well as in Japan.

- Jessy Terry

eastbay
07-27-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, EB. Nice to see others that recognize good tunes. You have any opinions on Schon's solo stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok. It has its moments. In general, I like lead breaks over instrumentals. There's just something about the extra context that brings out the lead and punches you in the face with it.

The thing Schon has that nobody can really touch is his melodic sense. He can inject the simplest little sequences, but they're just so damn RIGHT. That's the stuff the greats are born with. Of course he has the fire, chops, and deep rhythmic pocket as well. Maybe the most well-rounded rock player ever.

Check out Doug Aldrich's work for more in the sort of vein you're into. Very tasty stuff.

eastbay

OrangeCat
07-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Paul Gilbert
Buckethead

Holdsworth is great too but not really a shredder.

LOL at The Great Cat

bernie
07-27-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm a huge Jake fan. He was a huge influence in my playing. Primarily at the time of Badlands. I agree, it is a great secret. Ray Gillen had a great voice to compliment Jake.

Get Jakes new disc 'Retraced' for more. It kicks ass. Especially the opening tune.

Ultimate Sin had some good stuff on it. Some of it buried in the songs.

At the moment, he is my favorite guy to listen to. As he was when he was in Badlands. I wish he weren't so reclusive so he'd put out more stuff.

His style isn't really unique. It's throwback to 60s/70s jam style except with better/updated chops. But it's still got that great groove with the slop on it (kind of Pagey in a way). It's raw and the mistakes are left in giving it a great 'live' feel.

I'm glad I saw them live on the Voodoo highway tour.

Fine Pink Mist was kind of an odd release for Jake. It's nothing like his other stuff.

b

bernie
07-27-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dime.

[/ QUOTE ]

INCORRECT.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Yngwie's rythym playing alot more than his soloing. His soloing is a bit boring to me. Same thing every song it seems. Sweep this, sweep that, blah blah.

He does have some cool tunes. Even though he is one of rocks biggest A-Holes.

Him and Dio ought to get together and see who can out-ego each other.

b

imported_The Vibesman
07-27-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't know, I never liked Yngwie. Practice yer scales at home, I say. Too Damn Much.
I love Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde (always liked Wylde better than Jake E. Lee but honestly, that may just be because I liked the songs from No Rest For The Wicked better than anything off Bark at the Moon or Ultimate Sin. Ultimate Sin is my least favorite Ozzy album (at least until after No More Tears.))
Eddie Van Halen has to get the "pioneer" nod. I may be talking out my a*s as I don't know who Eddie's influences were.
What about Marty Friedman from Megadeth? Rust In Peace has some sick stuff.

turnipmonster
07-27-2005, 01:45 PM
so in 2001 I went to the new school in nyc which has a pretty well respected jazz program, whatever. my first day there I'm looking to see what ensembles I'm in (which is on a big list on the wall) and I see:

Music of Miles Davis Ensemble
Guitar: Alex Skolnick

now, this is a student jazz group, wtf? is there another guitarist named alex skolnick who plays jazz or something? what are the odds?

so I ask some of my fellow students and come to find at that it's the SAME ALEX SKOLNICK, who has short hair, plays an archtop and GOES to the new school to study jazz. he doesn't teach there, he actually attends. weird. at the end of the semester he put up posters for his senior recital that said "Evolution: Alex Skolnick's recital" or something like that. it was funny to see but the guy is a great player who's very serious about playing jazz as well as other stuff of course.

--turnipmonster

bernie
07-27-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(always liked Wylde better than Jake E. Lee but honestly, that may just be because I liked the songs from No Rest For The Wicked better than anything off Bark at the Moon or Ultimate Sin. Ultimate Sin is my least favorite Ozzy album (at least until after No More Tears.))

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Zakk. Really like some of his harder stuff like 'stillborn' and 'suicide messiah' Those tunes effing rock. To really compare them, look at Jake away from Ozzy. Same with Zakk. Zakk had a bit more freedom in Ozzy than Jake did. I like 'em both. But I like Jakes' style alot more.

[ QUOTE ]
Eddie Van Halen has to get the "pioneer" nod. I may be talking out my a*s as I don't know who Eddie's influences were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave Clark 5 and some more rockabilly stuff, among other influences. (solo-wise) I watched a local show on tv one night, Johnny and the Blue Flames I think were their names. 50s style band all the way. The solos sounded kind of familiar even though they had a Bill Haley and the Comets type of feel to them. I finally figured it out that it was like Eddie without a distortion peddle. (minus the tapping)

b

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge Jake fan. He was a huge influence in my playing. Primarily at the time of Badlands. I agree, it is a great secret. Ray Gillen had a great voice to compliment Jake.

Get Jakes new disc 'Retraced' for more. It kicks ass. Especially the opening tune.

Ultimate Sin had some good stuff on it. Some of it buried in the songs.

At the moment, he is my favorite guy to listen to. As he was when he was in Badlands. I wish he weren't so reclusive so he'd put out more stuff.

His style isn't really unique. It's throwback to 60s/70s jam style except with better/updated chops. But it's still got that great groove with the slop on it (kind of Pagey in a way). It's raw and the mistakes are left in giving it a great 'live' feel.

I'm glad I saw them live on the Voodoo highway tour.

Fine Pink Mist was kind of an odd release for Jake. It's nothing like his other stuff.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Fine Pink Mist, too. Definitely different. Gotta pick up Retraced. Did you know that Badlands has a third album? It is called "Dusk". Jakes' website also has a few unreleased Badlands tunes and some rare Roughcut stuff.

DarkForceRising
07-27-2005, 02:01 PM
The digitally re-mastered Blizzard CD has a previously unreleased cut called "You looking at me looking at you".

Also, there was a song never on Blizzard or Diary called "You said it all" that can be found (not easily) on some old live picture discs.

Ozzyhead.com has free download samples.

bernie
07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you know that Badlands has a third album? It is called "Dusk". Jakes' website also has a few unreleased Badlands tunes and some rare Roughcut stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I got Dusk.

I'll have to check Jakes site. I haven't been there in a month or so.

b