PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Challenge Cup No Limit

Chris Nichelson
03-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Nine of ten players left at the final table with blinds of 800-1600 and antes 200, I have approximately $21K in chips left having just sat through the blinds and anted away a few chips.

This is a low average-ish stack, with 220K in play, 6 players having stacks in the 20-30ish range, one guy at about 10K and two short <$5K stacks

I am on the button, and Anthony Tran with close to $30K open raises two seats to my right to make it a total of $4,000. I have pocket eights and the two short stacks are in the blinds.

The hand immediately before, while I was in the small blind, Dennis Waterman, to my left in the big blind, had agonized for a minute after David Levi raised with 6-6 for $4K and a relatively unknown player raised all-in for $5,700. he had then thrown his hand away and had less than $4K. The big blind and other short stack on my button hand was playing very tight.

I call with the eights.

Dennis calls all in with $3,300.

Flop comes A-10-8 of spades. ANthony Tran checks, and I move in for $17,500. Tran sweated it for more than a minute--checking his kicker to see if it was a spade--and then threw it away. He obviously held ace big.

We turn our hands over and Dennis has K-10 offsuit.

The turn was another eight giving me quads.

An ace came on the river and I dragged the pot. Anthony Tran told us he held A-Q and had I bet less on the flop or simply slowplayed it I could have had all of his chips.

Any thoughts on my flop play? Should I have bet $8K here with $13k in the pot? Would anyone check? What about the call with the eights before the flop?