PDA

View Full Version : Router possibly fried

grouchie
07-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Evidentally the power went out at my house today when I was at work.
get back home and have to mess with the net connection. Connected through a DSL modem and a router to hook up the rest of the computers in the house.

Now, when i have the DSL modem hooked directly into the computer I have connection.
When i put everything through the router i get nothing, but all of the lights are properly functioning.

If the router fried in the power outage, would all of the lights and everyting continue to function normally?

Just curious as this is my first experience with a router.

gusser
07-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Having the lights still on makes me think it's probably just not set up correctly. It may have defaulted to factory settings when the power went out. Most routers have a web based configuration utility (i.e http://192.168.1.1) I would check your manual and see if it is being assigned an IP from your ISP. If you had to clone your MAC when you first hooked it up it may have lost it in the outage. If you need any more help lemme know.

gus

whalekock
07-27-2005, 02:38 AM
What kind of router is it? I had a Belkin router that started droping connections then a week later just went bad. All the lights were working fine. The computer could sense the router but no internet connection was going through. Find the manual and just try to reconfigure it. If no go then go buy a new one. Best Buy has a Netgear Wireless for $30 bucks. Works great now I have an internet connection in my garage with my old PIII PC.