PDA

View Full Version : Intentionally trying to put people on tilt

Yeti
07-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Be it 'ty' 'nh 'thx' 'sorry, can't talk, i'm stacking your chips'.

Is it immoral? Intentionally trying to get people riled so they blow a couple of stacks. Which they maybe can't afford to lose.

Alex/Mugaaz
07-26-2005, 11:14 PM
As long as you aren't being annoying to everyone else, go for it.

fimbulwinter
07-26-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Is it immoral? Intentionally trying to get people riled so they blow a couple of stacks. Which they maybe can't afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

my favorite is typing gibberish into the chat and challenging fishies to random, inappropriate contests of which i always declare myself the winner.

fim

WackityWhiz
07-26-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my favorite is typing gibberish into the chat and challenging fishies to random, inappropriate contests of which i always declare myself the winner.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

any examples?

doodle2
07-26-2005, 11:50 PM
I dont think theres anything immoral about putting your opponents on tilt. The only thing is, you need to know exactly how they go on tilt since you'll need to adjust your game to take advantage of their new 'tilty' play. Since i usually dont know enough about how an op. will play if I taunt him, i usually just keep my mouth shut.

doodle

LethalRose
07-26-2005, 11:53 PM
yea when other people seem to try to tilt people they usually end up leaving..

Prevaricator
07-27-2005, 12:16 AM
A nice portion of my earn at the 10/20 came from singling out fish and berating them and challenging them to hu. It can backfire though if they leave. I consider it part of poker. So under the scope of (online) poker, it isn't immoral.

Live games might be different though because you can get into actual confrontations with people and it could get really nasty. I think online anything goes though.

fimbulwinter
07-27-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A nice portion of my earn at the 10/20 came from singling out fish and berating them and challenging them to hu. It can backfire though if they leave. I consider it part of poker. So under the scope of (online) poker, it isn't immoral.

Live games might be different though because you can get into actual confrontations with people and it could get really nasty. I think online anything goes though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Live a fun game to play is the "how much can i insult this guy without him realizing it?" You'd be surprised at the high scores.

fim

VarlosZ
07-27-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Regarding that last part, putting them on tilt and stacking their mortgage payment is no different from being polite and stacking their mortgage payment. I'm not entirely comfortable with it in either case, to be honest, but there's no difference between your making them stupid and their sitting down stupid to begin with.

I'm something of an etiquette Nazi, but even I think that that's just part of poker.

cjmewett
07-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Immoral? Would you think even for a split second that it was immoral to bluff into a massive pot, potentially one that your opponent "could not afford to lose"? How about to value-bet the nuts?

It's not immoral. I'd be careful where I go with it, though; sometimes for the sake of your action with others, you want to maintain the moral high ground (esp. in a regular game).

As for live games, baiting and berating are two VERY different things.

KaneKungFu123
07-27-2005, 01:10 AM
i play for $, end of story.

TM1212
07-27-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like this is asking if it is immoral to intentionally try to win an oppenents money while playing poker. since when did poker player start caring about morals anyway. i know my bankroll is padded with everthing from some guys Social security check, to borrow money which an oppenent couldnt afford to lose.

kagame
07-27-2005, 07:23 AM
alright kanesh

Niwa
07-27-2005, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i play for $, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

JasonP530
07-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Its not immoral. You cannot be concerned with who can afford to lose what. That being said, I dont think there is a need to be rude to others. Something about courtesy and being nice to your fellow(wo)man.

bkholdem
07-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Your doing charity work by stacking them. If you just take a few bucks here and there over time they will keep putting their morgage money on the line. By taking their morgage payment(s) in one session you are helping them to 'hit bottom' so they might be able to see the errors of their ways. Give yourself a nice pat on the back. Bleeding them slowly over time is torturing them. That's why limit poker is sadistic. Your a no limit humanitarian.

pokernicus
07-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Barry Greenstein had some interesting comments in his book that might be applicable here. He generally treats his opponents (at least the weaker ones) nicely (socially -- not in terms of actual poker playing) so that they keep playing with him in the long run. So perhaps it's not worth putting weaker opponents on tilt.

There's also an interesting story of Doyle Brunson's. He was playing in a game against someone he knew well who usually played a consistent, solid, and somewhat boring, style of poker. However, one day this particular opponent was playing amazing poker. He was switching gears from his solid play into aggressive, and less predictable play, then just when people were about to catch on, he switched back to solid mode, then switched gears again, etc. People were amazed at how well he was suddenly playing.

Doyle was talking to this player afterwards -- and commented on the play. The other player said 'sorry about that' and went on to relay how he had gotten into some kind of argument with his family, which was affecting his play. He was trying to focus on playing his solid game, but then started thinking about the argument he had, and this put him on some tilt which led him to more "reckless" play -- but then he reminded himself to focus and play solid again. This repeated a few times during the session.

[As with the relaying of any story from memory, it's possible I got some details wrong. But the general message is pretty much correct.]

Anyway, the point of the story is to be careful what you wish for. Sometimes you put someone on tilt and they may actually start to play better poker!

kagame
07-29-2005, 10:15 PM
his aggressive plays only worked because of his rock image

just a lesson on changing gears, doesnt speak to tilt imho

MagnoliasFM
07-30-2005, 06:22 AM
I think that being mean to people in order to try to get them to blow off money is immoral, because my standard of morality is the Bible, but everyone else has their own opinion.

Playing poker and acting civilized is fine, because it's just like any other sport or business. You are trying your best and so is everyone else, and whoever does the best is rewarded. Once you step out of that and make it a personal thing where you are taunting and trying to hurt another player emotionally, I think it becomes immoral. Besides I think it's a lot easier to win money from a guy who likes you than from someone whom you've made despise you.

thabadguy
07-31-2005, 06:03 AM
As long as you dont type in "OH SNAP BEEYATCH"( i did it once when i was playing inebriated) ,its ok.

aggie
07-31-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides I think it's a lot easier to win money from a guy who likes you than from someone whom you've made despise you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, i think this is wrong