PDA

View Full Version : Skills back in action

1337 skills
07-26-2005, 09:50 PM
I haven't posted a hand in quite some time and from the looks of this one I should post more often. Do you guys like the flop raise or should I have gone for overcalls? Most of my opponents are loose and passive. Also, I'm not sure about the turn bet. Take the free card here or not?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

topspin
07-26-2005, 10:10 PM
I would just call the flop, since I don't really want to face the field with 2 cold here. If the table has been regularly cold-calling, then this is fine. I also like it more if you're in LP and may potentially get a free turn.

You got the free card you were looking for on the turn since you folded out everyone else behind you. Why aren't you taking it?

MrStretchie
07-26-2005, 10:34 PM
The flop raise could be ok. You don't want to shut players out here, but many micro players will call 2 in this large pot on the flop (while they would fold the turn). However if these guys are unlikely to coldcall, or if there's aggro players behind you, just call and hope they raise. You're not improving your winning chances by raising.

The bet on the turn is good. You've got a lot of outs, so even if he checkraises you, it's not too bad. Given the weakness he's shown since you raised the flop, there's a decent enough chance this semi-bluff'll pick up the pot to go for it.

Saint_D
07-26-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would just call the flop, since I don't really want to face the field with 2 cold here. If the table has been regularly cold-calling, then this is fine. I also like it more if you're in LP and may potentially get a free turn.

You got the free card you were looking for on the turn since you folded out everyone else behind you. Why aren't you taking it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is why you don't take the free card. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=micro&amp;Number=2973077&amp;Forum =f21&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=2972343&amp;Sea rch=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=16136&amp;daterange=1&amp;newe rval=1&amp;newertype=w&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=# Post2973077) Or make a play for it for that matter.

topspin
07-26-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm confused. Your link seems to be for flop equity. His equity on the turn is significantly diminished with only 1 card to come.

silkyslim
07-26-2005, 11:08 PM
yeah just call flop/3 bet a raise from some other position, you have nut flush draw which you dont need to protect and really no chance to win by spiking a pair. Get a lot of peeps to go with you and collect all their money when you hit. Its worth not getting the free card on the turn if you have more callers. Given the raise, why bet on the turn! i see no point to this, take a free card. Ok, river you got it, bet.

Aaron W.
07-27-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't posted a hand in quite some time and from the looks of this one I should post more often. Do you guys like the flop raise or should I have gone for overcalls? Most of my opponents are loose and passive. Also, I'm not sure about the turn bet. Take the free card here or not?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (10.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop raise is no good. What reasons do you have for raising? Equity with nobody trapped in the middle? Increase your chances of winning unimproved? There's a little argument to be made about folding out a hand containing a queen, so that nobody picks up a gutshot draw on the turn and hangs around if you pair up. But if that's the only reason, I think raising isn't worth it.

Let's do some basic hand-reading. Villain raises from the small blind into a very large field. What sorts of hands does he have if he's doing this? Big hands, like AA-TT, AK-AQ... Good multiway hands (if villain is aggressive), like AJs and KQs.

Free card... well... If you think you might have the best hand at king-high, then bet. If you think villain might fold any of the hands that we think he has, then bet. Otherwise, take the free card.

I suspect you got looked up by KK or QQ who got scared by your flop raise.