PDA

View Full Version : Want to make the "next" step

hotsauce615
07-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Short history of my play, made my first 90$ deposit with some ebay money layin around, played around on Party Poker, Absolute, Empire, and no Poker Stars. Did a little bonus work, but mainly just to pay off my mistakes. My bankroll is at 500$ even at the moment. I play mostly .50/1.00 games or 2-3 table .25/.50 because I feel like people don't care about calling everything down the river in those rooms. I also have been doing a kind of hedging system where I take 6$ from every 10$ I make and enter a SitnGo, usually 5+.50. I'm doing well in those and have been either placing in like 7th place or 3rd/2nd/1st. Right now though I'm at a standstill, and really not making too much money.

I've read a lot of the books, but haven't really studied them. I think I may need to spend a week or so just writing out notes from the books and really studying them. I also read on this forum a lot. What advice do you guys have for someone who's been playing for two months and wants to approach the 1000 mark??

Pov
07-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Let me be the first to recommend you read and digest Getting Started in Hold 'Em (Miller) and Small Stakes Hold 'Em (Miller, Sklansky, Malmuth). If you really feel you already have your feet wet you may want to jump straight to SSHE. The advice is very good, but be warned, it is not simple and it will probably increase the variance in your game.

In poker you're going to have a lot of steps backward (and sideways) on your way forward. This is a major part of what makes the game so difficult to play well for a long period of time. Don't try to force it. All you can do is play as +EV as you can and the results will follow when they're ready. But they will happen.