PDA

View Full Version : Poker Academy vs Wilson Turbo

william kidd
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Wanting to get the more experienced player to give me some comments on which software is the best as a learning tool. Never really thought of purchasing poker software before but I had a discussion with a pro and he said the books are essential, but playing thousands of hands against someone who adjusts to your play is just as important. I've heard alot about Wilson's Turbo Tex Hold'em and have been told Poker Academy's Tex Hold'em is better in its AI. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

07-26-2005, 06:45 PM
I've found Poker Academy really tight preflop. TTH seems to have a better mix of profiles that can more closely simulate a ring game. TTH still tends to be too tight preflop, but overly aggressive post flop. Not a bad strategy really, but it won't mirror real ring games.

I've been playing TTH tournament the last few nights after reading HoH's books, trying to put plays into practice. The computer opponents tend to be way too loose in both going all in and calling all-in, but it's still damn good practice to be put into positions to "count your M" and such over and over.

Poker Academy looks much much nicer. The AI's are average, at least the single table tourney ones. There's not as much variety in profiles though as with TTH.

*shrug*, it's a toss up I suppose.

Jordan Olsommer
07-26-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The AI's are average, at least the single table tourney ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poki is based on the work of the U. of Alberta games research group so, to the best of my knowledge, limit holdem (and more specifically heads-up limit holdem) are where it would really shine.

william kidd
07-26-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The AI's are average, at least the single table tourney ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poki is based on the work of the U. of Alberta games research group so, to the best of my knowledge, limit holdem (and more specifically heads-up limit holdem) are where it would really shine.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Poki" is Poker Academy?
Also has anyone heard the news on "Stacked"? Is it suppose to compete with the two we are discussing here? Or is it more of a game for entertainment?

Jordan Olsommer
07-26-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Poki" is Poker Academy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. (http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/poker/)

arod15
07-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Wilson is real good. I love the software so i vote wilson....

Trainwreck
07-26-2005, 08:57 PM
This is the wrong forum, try the software one.

Poker Academy Pro 2.0 released in the passed month is far superior to Wilson, the other posters obviously haven't used it.

PAP has several bot types and all but the ODDBOT are tweakable, and it simulates Limit, NL, including MTT and SnG's, unlike Wilson's you don't have to buy more than one product, you can also play other PAP2 owners via their online server, if a game is going.

I own 2 Wilson titles, TTH and the tournament version, they are collecting dust, I haven't bothered reinstalling and am passing on upgrading to 6.0/5.0 which I heard were not much of an upgrade at all.

Download the PAP2 demo at www.poker-academy.com (http://www.poker-academy.com)
Wilson's is now the ugly step-sister of Poker software IMHO.

>TW<

william kidd
07-27-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the wrong forum, try the software one.

Poker Academy Pro 2.0 released in the passed month is far superior to Wilson, the other posters obviously haven't used it.

PAP has several bot types and all but the ODDBOT are tweakable, and it simulates Limit, NL, including MTT and SnG's, unlike Wilson's you don't have to buy more than one product, you can also play other PAP2 owners via their online server, if a game is going.

I own 2 Wilson titles, TTH and the tournament version, they are collecting dust, I haven't bothered reinstalling and am passing on upgrading to 6.0/5.0 which I heard were not much of an upgrade at all.

Download the PAP2 demo at www.poker-academy.com (http://www.poker-academy.com)
Wilson's is now the ugly step-sister of Poker software IMHO.

>TW<

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!!
Informative and a link. Thank you very much.
I need to come here more often. I have been going to Daniel N. site alot lately and it seems like it is all children. You can't ask a question or make a comment without getting flamed. It seems all the little boys try so hard to see who can come up with the most smart a$$ comment.
This is a refreshing change.
Thank you again