PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find an apt. in Manhattan...

BottlesOf
07-26-2005, 05:43 PM
...is just about the most frustrating thing ever. That is all.

SossMan
07-26-2005, 05:46 PM
PM MLG

scrub
07-26-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...is just about the most frustrating thing ever. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you've got a grown up job.../images/graemlins/smile.gif

scrub

Duke
07-26-2005, 05:56 PM
This is why those apartment finding agencies make money. Living in Manhattan is about the worst choice anyone could make. Even if I had to be there (say as a banker or something) I'd probably get a place in Staten Island and take the damn ferry.

My girlfriend has a pretty small 1 bedroom apartment (though it's enormous by Manhattan standards) and it's running her $2300 a month. That's about 4x what the place is worth in a more realistic city.

~D

miajag81
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
It is beyond me why anyone would ever want to live in Manhattan. Good luck regardless.

TheMainEvent
07-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Two words. Ho-Boken.

Ulysses
07-26-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is beyond me why anyone would ever want to live in Manhattan. Good luck regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it rules.

GreywolfNYC
07-26-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is beyond me why anyone would ever want to live anywhere but Manhattan. Good luck regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

miajag81
07-26-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

My post wasn't meant to be a rip on New York, which is indeed a great city. I just hate living in large cities for various reasons. To me, the ridiculous cost of living in NYC wouldn't be offset by the advantages.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend has a pretty small 1 bedroom apartment (though it's enormous by Manhattan standards) and it's running her $2300 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] A! $2300/month pays my mortgage on a 2500 square-foot, 4 bed, 3 bath house with a good-sized yard in a nice neighborhood and one of my car payments. So not only do you have to put up with the other 394783490752437 assholes who live in NY, but you have to pay out the ass to live in a cardboard box besides? No thanks.

wacki
07-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Boom Boom, Did you get a non-poker job? If so what was it?

IndieMatty
07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Nyers also make more money. That being said, I've lived here for 5 years and havent cracked 1k yet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

handsome
07-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I used to work for one of the biggest rental firms in Manhattan. List the 'hoods you're looking in, and I'll give you a few recommendations.

turnipmonster
07-26-2005, 06:49 PM
I agree. why manhattan, when the best borough to live in is just a short swim away?

--turnipmonster

KDawgCometh
07-26-2005, 11:25 PM
you can find more affordable apt in Brooklyn, and they're bigger on avg

ozyman
07-26-2005, 11:29 PM
I hear you brother. My roommate bailed on me a couple weeks ago and I hit up OOT for some ideas and they came to my aid. Unfortunately, I am still without NYC residence living out in the burbs in Westchester, taking my time trying to find a bargain.

I love the brokers who want 15-18% of a years rent for spending ten minutes unlocking and walking me around some dumpy apartment in some medicore location. Good times not that I am bitter or anything.

siccjay
07-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Thats INSANE, I'm about to pay just over 500 a month on a 1200 sq ft 3br house.

sfer
07-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Before I moved out here I flew out on Friday and signed a lease the following Sunday. And negotiated 3% off my broker fee.

I moved 2 weeks later.

nothumb
07-26-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trying to find an apt. in Manhattan...

[/ QUOTE ]

...is like trying to get an abortion in Riyadh? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Even if you do get one, you're probably getting screwed)

NT

Morningside
07-27-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is beyond me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep eating that Chipotle, champ.

jakethebake
07-27-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm paying $2500 for a 3000 sq ft, 4/3/2 with a pool, a big screened-in patio and a nice yard (pool & yard maintenance included).

miajag81
07-27-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is beyond me...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that even mean?

Morningside
07-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Up and coming neighborhoods to check for rentals:

- Upper west above 103rd st. below 125th (nicer these days, and an alternative to brooklyn)
- DUMBO in brooklyn - still no places to eat/shop here, but it's 1 stop over the bridge from downtown, seems to have many new lofts/studios available

Many people seeking rentals slowly discover it's actually LESS hassle overall to buy. The competition is a bit less intense than renting, though you still have to move quickly. And even for a 2-3 year stint in the city, it can be cheaper overall, especially if you're paying a fee for your rental.

Jersey Nick
07-27-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
2+2 Moderator.

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
2+2 Moderator.

[/ QUOTE ]

clap clap clap clap

BottlesOf
07-27-2005, 09:32 AM
I want to avoid paying a broker fee at this point which limits my options somehwat. I'm also in a different price range and thus am making it quite difficult on myself.

CCass
07-27-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend has a pretty small 1 bedroom apartment (though it's enormous by Manhattan standards) and it's running her $2300 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] A! $2300/month pays my mortgage on a 2500 square-foot, 4 bed, 3 bath house with a good-sized yard in a nice neighborhood and one of my car payments. So not only do you have to put up with the other 394783490752437 assholes who live in NY, but you have to pay out the ass to live in a cardboard box besides? No thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

$2,300 pays 3 months of my mortgage for a 2,400sf 4 bedroom house on 1.5 acres. However, if I were in JBB's shoes, I would live in Westchester county and take the train every day.

BottlesOf
07-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Who/what is MLG?

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Has clearly never lived here. Is cheap. Paranoid about money, or just plain stupid.

Seriously, EVERY PERSON who lives in NYC pays premium, and we all still say it's worth every penny. Think there's a reason for that?

BottlesOf
07-27-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm definitely moving to an apt. in Manhattan. Some may see it as stupid, and that's fine, but it is clearly right for me right now. I have come nowhere close to exhausting options for Manhattan, I'm just trying to live in very specific locations/conditions right now, and I may need to be more flexible, expand neighborhoods etc.

But thanks for the suppt. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm definitely moving to an apt. in Manhattan. Some may see it as stupid, and that's fine, but it is clearly right for me right now. I have come nowhere close to exhausting options for Manhattan, I'm just trying to live in very specific locations/conditions right now, and I may need to be more flexible, expand neighborhoods etc.

But thanks for the suppt. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah..good luck. Those post's about "OMG RORFOLS!! YOU PAY THAT MUCH NOOB!?" make me want to puke on myself.

Paluka
07-27-2005, 10:19 AM
I just want to thank the people who took time out of their lives to respond to this thread and let us know that

a) real estate is cheaper outside Manhattan
b) the exact dimensions of their homes
c) precisely which suburb they would live in instead of Manhattan if for some reason they had to commute to Manhattan.

Without this information, how the [censored] would I have got through the rest of my day?

sfer
07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also in a different price range and thus am making it quite difficult on myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says the guy with a Thomas Keller avatar.

turnipmonster
07-27-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

- DUMBO in brooklyn - still no places to eat/shop here, but it's 1 stop over the bridge from downtown, seems to have many new lofts/studios available

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a movie theater, several restaurants (bubby's!) and lots of art galleries also.

dumbo is stretching it, but from bklyn heights you can get more places in manhattan faster than almost anyplace in manhattan. 2,3,A,C,F,4,5,R,J,Z baby.

--turnipmonster

Paluka
07-27-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[
there's a movie theater, several restaurants (bubby's!) and lots of art galleries also.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I just found Bubby's in DUMBO on Sunday. How long has it been there? If I was single I would consider buying in DUMBO, but the wifey has no interest.

turnipmonster
07-27-2005, 10:32 AM
no idea how long it's been there, but the new park along the waterfront should be really nice and I bet a lot more restaurants will start opening up along there. also bubby's makes a mean veggie burger.

BottlesOf
07-27-2005, 10:35 AM
touche

MaxPower
07-27-2005, 10:35 AM
If you are not too particular and don't ming having roommates it isn't that tough to find a place. You can go to Roommate Finders. I used them to find an apartment and to find roommates and it works well.

Definitely stay in Manhattan for now.

MercTec
07-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Boom Boom only flies solo....

sfer
07-27-2005, 10:37 AM
You're staying on the West Side to avoid a subway transfer to work I take it?

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're staying on the West Side to avoid a subway transfer to work I take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Transfering subways is brutal.

2/3 93rd to Wall baby!

BottlesOf
07-27-2005, 10:40 AM
No, not necessarily. Once you're using the Union Sq. stop or below, subeways on the East side (NRQW, FV etc.) curve West by the time they're in midtown. But, yea my insistence on being near a relevant subway adds to the trickiness.

BottlesOf
07-27-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotty...PLEASE!

jakethebake
07-27-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, EVERY PERSON who lives in NYC pays premium, and we all still say it's worth every penny. Think there's a reason for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're all idiots. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GuyOnTilt
07-27-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The same can be said of people who own and drive H2's.

GoT

jakethebake
07-27-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Very Nice, GoT!

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotty...PLEASE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh what?

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Or buy $200 jeans?

BottlesOf
07-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Your location and avatar.

sammysusar
07-27-2005, 10:54 AM
i think ho-boken is better to live in than nyc. you can be in downtown manhattan in 15 mins. better if you want to have a car you can get a better looking apartment. but if you really want to be in the city i suppose you have to be in manhattan

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your location and avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the quoting threw me off.

sfer
07-27-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that most Manhattanites have consciously forgone things that Hummer owners seek--i.e. spacious comfort, driving, personal gas consumption--this is a pretty bad analogy. Further, for many jobs, like Paluka's, there really isn't a choice of places he can live aside from NY, London, Tokyo, Frankfurt, and HK, whereas everyone with a Hummer can buy something smaller and less conspicuous with minimal change to their lifestyle.

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think ho-boken is better if you like to pop your collar and have no desire but to hang out in fratboy/irish bars and never have any chance of scoring with a girl who lives in New York when you do decide to go out

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

GuyOnTilt
07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Or buy $200 jeans?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Touché.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
07-27-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that most Manhattanites have consciously forgone things that Hummer owners seek--i.e. spacious comfort, driving, personal gas consumption--this is a pretty bad analogy. Further, for many jobs, like Paluka's, there really isn't a choice of places he can live aside from NY, London, Tokyo, Frankfurt, and HK, whereas everyone with a Hummer can buy something smaller and less conspicuous with minimal change to their lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, c'mon. Do I look like a guy who was being serious?

GoT

Paluka
07-27-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Further, for many jobs, like Paluka's, there really isn't a choice of places he can live aside from NY, London, Tokyo, Frankfurt, and HK, whereas everyone with a Hummer can buy something smaller and less conspicuous with minimal change to their lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, I did just move to Brooklyn.

sfer
07-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Sugar Mommy.

IndieMatty
07-27-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Further, for many jobs, like Paluka's, there really isn't a choice of places he can live aside from NY, London, Tokyo, Frankfurt, and HK, whereas everyone with a Hummer can buy something smaller and less conspicuous with minimal change to their lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell out.

sfer
07-27-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow this just stinks of Park Slope and child-rearing.

Paluka
07-27-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Somehow this just stinks of Park Slope and child-rearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just terminated with extreme prejudice.

PokerBob
07-27-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is beyond me...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it means that you are a victim of corporatization and that you do not have any cultural experiences where you reside and that the guy who posted it is being a condescending snob

bdk3clash
07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is beyond me...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it means that you are a victim of corporatization and that you do not have any cultural experiences where you reside and that the guy who posted it is being a condescending snob

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate corporations and am as condescending as they come but Chipotle owns.

sfer
07-27-2005, 01:05 PM
You also live about a 5 minute walk to Peter Luger, don't do anything during the day, and have been there for lunch exactly never.

Morningside
07-27-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, no need to go that far, I realize there are plenty of intellgent life forms and countless places to have "real" experiences outside NY. Still, I hear him express surprise at how someone could consider moving here, I can't resist taking a swing. I mean, it's one of the few real cities in the US and, well you know, I just think it's worth remebering that cities are where a bunch of good things happened: democracy, science, art, blah, not to mention they're like the only place left where it's not so cool to be really fat.

Anyway sorry for my arrogant response, you wouldn't believe how hot it is here today, can't wait for the weekend so I can escape this dump.

GreywolfNYC
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm paying $2500 for a 3000 sq ft, 4/3/2 with a pool, a big screened-in patio and a nice yard (pool & yard maintenance included). The gators are no extra charge and when my neighbors use my mailbox for target practice the homeowners' association replaces it at no cost to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

sfer
07-27-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, Martin Sheen swam up the East River and cut your head off?

Paluka
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, Martin Sheen swam up the East River and cut your head off?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that

A) yes, I moved to Park Slope
B) My wife is pregnant.

sfer
07-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Congrats Paluka.

Paluka
07-27-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Paluka.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man. And Park Slope is pretty hip these days, not just for families and lesbians.

sfer
07-27-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Paluka.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man. And Park Slope is pretty hip these days, not just for families and lesbians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know. I like it there although I'm annoyed that Louie G's stopped making orange creamsicle ice cream. If you see an Asian guy red faced and wheezy while playing pickup soccer in Prospect Park on Saturday morning that might be my sorry ass trying to get in shape.

Paluka
07-27-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Paluka.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know. I like it there although I'm annoyed that Louie G's stopped making orange creamsicle ice cream. If you see an Asian guy red faced and wheezy while playing pickup soccer in Prospect Park on Saturday morning that might be my sorry ass trying to get in shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you want an invite to any kickball games we play this summer?

sfer
07-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, maybe. Are they in Prospect Park?

Paluka
07-27-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, maybe. Are they in Prospect Park?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

Ulysses
07-27-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Paluka.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you want an invite to any kickball games we play this summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would dominate you and all your scrawny friends at kickball.

Ulysses
07-27-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Paluka.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What time do these get going?

scrub
07-27-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Paluka.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Park Slope when Scrubette lived there.

Get brunch at Dizzy's.

scrub

sfer
07-27-2005, 06:28 PM
I've got a regular group who meets up around 10 am. Games are constantly going all afternoon though. You can pretty much just meander in and start playing.

sublime
07-27-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Before I moved out here I flew out on Friday and signed a lease the following Sunday. And negotiated 3% off my broker fee.

I moved 2 weeks later.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you live to harass poor JBB?

PITTM
07-31-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding!!! i pay 1200 a month for a 2 bedroom condo in one of the nicest cities in the united states. wow, i really wish i could live in manhattan...not.

rj

sthief09
08-03-2005, 10:36 AM
go back to undergrad school like Evan and I and get cheap housing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sthief09
08-03-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding!!! i pay 1200 a month for a 2 bedroom condo in one of the nicest cities in the united states. wow, i really wish i could live in manhattan...not.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY [censored] PITTSBURGH OMG AWESOME!!!!

BottlesOf
08-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Found one, it's small, but nice and in a good loc. I'm happy /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sfer
08-03-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Found one, it's small, but nice and in a good loc. I'm happy /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Spill. Location, move-in date, housewarming party date, etc.

BottlesOf
08-03-2005, 11:48 AM
moving in 8/15. Won't be any party as it's a studio, and I would begin to feel claustrophobic with 2 or more people in there with me.

Nigel
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You also live about a 5 minute walk to Peter Luger, don't do anything during the day, and have been there for lunch exactly never.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a crime.