PDA

View Full Version : medical help, please

DireWolf
07-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Yesterday i was working out side, and i either got bitten or a piece of rose bushes cut into my outer ankle. Im 80% sure it was a bite. when i looked down, there was a good amount of blood. Not gushing but covering a good 2 square inches on my foot.

This morning, I woke up and my leg was very very swollen. i had to work a couple hours in the morning, and my leg kept getting worse and worse.
When i got home, i started icing it, and the swelling seams to have gone down a little bit, but now it hurts like hell. It is still considerably swollen. It is very hard for me to walk right now.

I live in maine on the ocean, the most prevelant insects around here are horseflies.

Anyone heard about this? Do you think it is serious or will go away in a few days? Thanks.

ClaytonN
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Helloooooo, go to a doctor or hospital. Now. You have no idea what the hell bit you, it could be potentially really bad. For christ's sake, you can't walk. That's a substantially dangerous bite, don't you think?

Get medical assistance ASAP.

SmileyEH
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I would go to the emergency right now. It could be a brown recluse bite, ie; it will kill you if left untreated. Unlikely yes, but not worth the risk.

-SmileyEH

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 05:16 PM
If you don't want to go to the hospital, you could just save yourself the time and money, bust out the chainsaw, and cut the foot off yourself. Get plenty of ace bandages and Jack Daniels first, though.

MrTrik
07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Going to OOT for medical advice is very -EV. Get to a trained professional before someone has to bury you.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
For the record, as I was clicking on the link to this thread, I was thinking "this ought to be good". Thank you, OOT, for not letting me down.

Bukem_
07-26-2005, 05:20 PM
When is 2+2 going to come around and finally get to making a medical advice forum?

asofel
07-26-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, as I was clicking on the link to this thread, I was thinking "this ought to be good". Thank you, OOT, for not letting me down.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, so true.

"so i currently have a slice of wood jutting through my abdomen. anyone think its -EV to pull it out? it kinda hurts and i'm losing consicioouu..................."

touchfaith
07-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Walk it off wimp.

Cancer Merchant
07-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Don't cancel your tee time, it'll be fine.

squeek12
07-26-2005, 05:32 PM
all you need is a 6" by 6" patch of spandex, a snorkel, and a jar of pepperment jelly.

meep_42
07-26-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would go to the emergency right now. It could be a brown recluse bite, ie; it will kill you if left untreated. Unlikely yes, but not worth the risk.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

"Deaths from brown recluse spiders have been reported only in children younger than 7 years."
Source (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/10729-1.asp)

-d

bugstud
07-26-2005, 05:39 PM
having lived in IL I seem to recall one man dying. From pekin, maybe? anyway, I know a lot of amputations and the like occur from these guys.

Benal
07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the most prevelant insects around here are horseflies

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt a horsefly would cause this, unless you're somehow seriously alergic to them..

DireWolf
07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the most prevelant insects around here are horseflies

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt a horsefly would cause this, unless you're somehow seriously alergic to them..

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i didn't think it was really a horsefly, unless it was carrying some sort of disease or something

nothumb
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Probably a nasty spider bite or you cut it on something and that something was pretty infectious. You have a big infection in your leg. Antibiotics and medical treatment will make it go away faster and less painfully.

Don't scratch it.

NT

DireWolf
07-26-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't scratch it.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]

coffeecrazy1
07-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Why are you still at home in front of the computer? Go to the hospital or call an ambulance...unless you'd like to lose your leg.

x2ski
07-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Post-op update, please.

bd8802
07-26-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DireWolf
07-26-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Post-op update, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

well after talking to my mom, im not going to the hospital yet. The swelling has steadily been going down, and is pretty localized. I think it was a spider bite, if it is still bad tommorow i am gunna go to the hospital